Don't say it! (you'll kill one)

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Midnight_Carnival

Don't say it! (you'll kill one)

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

Do you believe in fairies?

I do. I'm 27, male and apparently sane (yeah, I took your advice and went to see a therapist, apparently appart from mild depression and unresoved anger I'm ok, definatly not psychotic or that other one with an S) but I believe in fairies.

I'm not going to give "facts" about them, since I'm not in any position to judge truth from falacy with regards to them (see below) but I will give some common misconceptions and what I believe:

1) "Fairies are small pretty girls with wings".
I believe that they (or at least most of them) have the ability to either alter thier appearance, including size, or to induce halucinations, possibly psychokeniesis. But they are not all female and probably don't have any wings!

2) "Fairies couldn't live in our world".
We, with our satelite surveylence and our computer aided mapping systems, still do not know most of the world we live in, we know a little about the "important bits". I beieve that fey races have the ability to "fold" spacetime, so that there are large areas we simply can't get to. Appart from that: they are far, far more intelligent than humans and keep a careful watch on us, as you might the rats infesting a dump. Since they have some control over the way in which we percieve the world and since we are easy for them to understand (in much the same manner as humans can understand dogs and horses) they would problably have no difficulty surviving in our world. How'd we cope in theirs is another question.

3) "Fine! but if I take your word on this it means I have to believe in magic"
If you take my word on this you have to admit that there are things we don't know and can't understand based on availible evidence. If you take my word on it you have to admit that clever researchers and scientists can sometimes make a few mistakes. You will have to admit that there are new things to learn and new possibilites. Discovering quantum physics did not make gravity stop working!

4) "You have no proof!"
Ok, you got me there, I have no proof. But if someone did, they'd either be psychotic, brain-damaged or stupid. This sort of attitude is quite useful to the fey races. If fairies wanted us to know them they'd come and say "hello, I'm a fairy" -they don't hence I presume they don't want us to know them. Best part is they don't even need a large-scale cover-up, just let human stupidity and arrogance take its course. You can tell me that you are sure that people have spent tons of money and hours of research looking for fairies and so far found none. I'd be interested to read their reports, and I'd challange you to seriously spend 1 hour looking for fairies! How many adults have seriously done that?

-Ok, I have loads more to say, but I know you're going to tell me a whole load of interesting things now, and anyway my dark fairy told me she wants me downstairs because she hates going to the library alone.
:wink:
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
sur.nhm

Re: Don't say it! (you'll kill one)

Post by sur.nhm »

I dunno... I personally don't believe in fairies (and am a monist atheist as well), but if you believe in fairies, have fun. :) Everyone's got the right to believe in whatever they want to. Why should I judge you?
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
Radament

Post by Radament »

Why not :wink:

Fairies are just as plausible as old, bearded men moving masses of water with sheer will, turning water into wine or riding into the sky post-mortem on a horse with wings called Buraq.
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

Radament wrote:Why not :wink:

Fairies are just as plausible as old, bearded men moving masses of water with sheer will, turning water into wine or riding into the sky post-mortem on a horse with wings called Buraq.
Indeed.

PS: It's Al-Buraq (which means 'the lightning' in arabic).
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

I just feel this weird need to reply to a thread in which someone said "dunno"

Maybe I understood you wrong (and its plausible because I skipped most! :lol2: ) but you are generally saying fairies are not fairies. Your description fits ghosts or angels more, imo. Btw, this means that every culture/religion has it own replacement for fairies- good ghosts, angel guardians etc- they all serve the same purpose, only differ in some details.
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Joram

Post by Joram »

If there is no evidence to believe something, and if believing it or not has no effect on your life, then what is the point of believing it? :?

Not that believing it would necessarily be bad, if that were the case. But it seems to me that displaying it serve no purpose, and only gets one looked at as a kook by the majority of society.

I actually don't believe in fairies, not because I have evidence they don't exist (I don't, since absence of evidence does not equate to evidence of absence), but because I take what I think we do have evidence is true, and show how fairies are inconsistent with it. So in a sense, I would say that there is indirect proof that "fairies", in terms of a sentient, earth-inhabiting species with strange, magic-seeming capabilities, don't exist.

Out of curiosity, what religion/belief system are you making fun of with the first one? To my knowledge, there isn't a mainstream religion that involves the practice or telling of old, bearded men moving water around with sheer will.
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

Joram wrote:[...]

Out of curiosity, what religion/belief system are you making fun of with the first one? To my knowledge, there isn't a mainstream religion that involves the practice or telling of old, bearded men moving water around with sheer will.
That's Moses and the crossing of the red sea, but it's misquoted.
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

Dunno wrote:I just feel this weird need to reply to a thread in which someone said "dunno"

Maybe I understood you wrong (and its plausible because I skipped most! :lol2: ) but you are generally saying fairies are not fairies. Your description fits ghosts or angels more, imo. Btw, this means that every culture/religion has it own replacement for fairies- good ghosts, angel guardians etc- they all serve the same purpose, only differ in some details.
Fairies are not fairies? Americans are not Americans, if you're working from an outside defintion, it doesn't matter IMO. Angels are messengers from God, the being I'm talking about are not. Ghosts are the spirits of departed humans, the beings I'm talking about are not human. You can believe in fairies without believing in either. You can believe in faires without believing in God, Gods or anything similar.

Yes, all cultures have something like fairies. But as to their "purpose", it seems you have access to information I have not considered :hmm: Please share.

Ok, I'm going away for some time, I always say that and then don't go, and that's kind of why I got to go this time (according to my family). May not be back till early next week. Hope to hear some more opinions, but if you post too much I can't get back to you.

Is there anyone who sort of believes in fairies, not asking for support, just also interested in other people's understanding of fairies, my question also applies to Djinn, and any other "supernatural" biengs who are not directly related to whatever real or fictitious battle between good and evil people believe in.
Joram wrote:If there is no evidence to believe something, and if believing it or not has no effect on your life, then what is the point of believing it? :?

Not that believing it would necessarily be bad, if that were the case. But it seems to me that displaying it serve no purpose, and only gets one looked at as a kook by the majority of society.

I actually don't believe in fairies, not because I have evidence they don't exist (I don't, since absence of evidence does not equate to evidence of absence), but because I take what I think we do have evidence is true, and show how fairies are inconsistent with it. So in a sense, I would say that there is indirect proof that "fairies", in terms of a sentient, earth-inhabiting species with strange, magic-seeming capabilities, don't exist.

No point? what is the point in believing in anything you don't understand then? If you don't understand something you can't say whether or not it has any effect on your life. If you were suggesting that because we can't prove their existence we shouldn't look, then great. It's just that for me science is more about finding new things out than making the dark not so scary anymore. Are you affraid of the dark?
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Mica

Post by Mica »

I'm a fairy. Oh wait.. not the same kind you're talking about.
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
Qazerowl

Post by Qazerowl »

sur.nhm wrote:...Everyone's got the right to believe in whatever they want to...
I just wanted to point out that I don't think people should have the right to believe in whatever they want. If MC goes around killing people because he thinks that they are killing fairies...
johndh

Post by johndh »

It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
Joram

Post by Joram »

I just wanted to point out that I don't think people should have the right to believe in whatever they want. If MC goes around killing people because he thinks that they are killing fairies...
He can believe whatever he wants. It's only if he acts on it that he can get into trouble.

Heaven help us all when we get "Though Crime" legislation.
That's Moses and the crossing of the red sea, but it's misquoted.
I figured that was what he was referring to, but didn't want to grace it with recognition. If you're going to make fun of Christianity (which I have no problem with), the least you could do is make sure what you're making fun of is actually part of the Bible, and not just a jumped-to conclusion based on only a general knowledge of "bible stories".
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

<voice type="booming">
Thou shalt not convert Off-Topic threads into religious discussions.
</voice>
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Joram

Post by Joram »

<voice type="dramatic narration">

At the great sound of shadowmaster's thundering voice, the earth shook. Rocks tumbled from the hilltops, and a great wind gusted through the lands, tearing up ancient trees and destroying mighty structures. In the face of the gale, Joram stood pale and trembling. Crawling forward on his hands and knees, he came quivering into the incredible presence of the great moderator. Once there, he flung himself face downwards onto the ground, begging shadowmaster's forgiveness, and imploring him to stay his wrath from the land. At the pitiful spectacle, shadowmaster was moved to compassion, and bid Joram begone, but sternly warning him that the commandments of the moderators were to be obeyed and that disobedience was costly. The great storm ceased, and Joram turned and made haste to depart from under that solemn gaze. Though costly, he left a wiser and better man.

Thus is the tale of Joram's great infraction.

</voice>
johndh

Post by johndh »

shadowmaster wrote:<voice type="booming">
Thou shalt not convert Off-Topic threads into religious discussions.
</voice>
Considering it's a discussion about invisible beings and supernatural powers, I have a feeling it's going to tend toward ugliness. :|
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.