where do you rate yourself as a Wesnoth player?

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

Re: where do you rate yourself as a Wesnoth player?

Post by doofus-01 »

I'm also 3b (see second post). I did get through a fair amount of UMC campaigns (cheating when necessary), so maybe I can say 3b+.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
SpoOkyMagician

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

On bad days, I'd rate myself a 5... on good days, I'd rate myself a 7... every other day, I'd rate myself a 6... I am incredibly average at this game. (and pretty much everything else in life... completely average... lol)

Anyway, I find myself from time to time making really stupid mistakes and losing the game because of it. (I have a bag tendency to "move" then "think"... lol) Otherwise, I play fine. (I am not great with tactics and strategy. I tend to use the outnumber or spam to death technique... :P )

However, I do feel that I learn something every time I play. (If anything at all...)
"You don't have to understand me, I'm just there!" ~ SpoOkyMagician
Creator of: Unwelcome Guests Series, Modifiable Android Project, SpoOky's Survivals, and many more... (Most of my old stuff is gone.)
(User Page)
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

I think there may be a lot of false modesty going down on this thread.
People don't want to post "what, me? a 10 definately!" and then get beaten by a noob who's saying stuff like "which one's the keep?" and "Can I like take over your castle?" on the chat chanel; but also, they don't want to give a more realistic rating of themselves and then not have people want to play against them. I mean if I said I was a 10 (even though I've never played online), I think many people would want to call my bluff, but if a scary-ass moderator or developer says so you just want to run for cover.

Mind you, I've found in a lot of things, people who have a lot to say aren't normally that good at actually doing. Until you get that one guy who's really, really good and he just keeps commenting all through the game and he just won't shut up. -happens with engineers and fooz-ball (I think that's how you spell it)
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Joram

Post by Joram »

Some people I think are just more cautious with their rating because they honestly don't know, and would prefer to underrate than overrate themselves. I haven't played enough online, so I just went with the fact that I can squash newbies, putting me higher than a 6, and gave myself the lowest rating consistent with that (I also used the fact that I've lost both the ladder games I played as justification).

I would love to play any of the mods, regardless of their rating, because it is a name I can recognize, and the game won't end up being some random half hour with a person I'll probably never interact with again.
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
norbert

Post by norbert »

I just have to add that when I'm playing certain factions, I play terribly. If I select Random and get Undead units, I'm doomed from the start. :x Every now and then I practice playing them, but I usually feel reluctant to do so, because I will disappoint my opponent(s) or team mates.
Crushmaster

Post by Crushmaster »

I would guess four or five. In other words, not terrible, but not great, either.
God bless,
Crushmaster.
Godspeed, random person!
NeedGod - User:Crushmaster
SpoOkyMagician

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

I wouldn't say I am "underrating" myself at all. Let me write an embarrassing but, completely true story.

I decided to show one of my friends the game. (yes, I am talking about wesnoth... lol) Since he was completely new to the game, I let him control 2 sides and I only had 1 side. (to give him a major advantage. double gold would of worked but, two leaders sounded fair to me... anyway...) I pretty much played for like... 10-20 turns and I dominated the game. However, in the last few turns of the game, I made the most idiotic mistake... I tried to move my leader in for a quicker kill... and well... I think you know the rest... (He killed me... lol)

So yea. The point is, no matter "how good you think you are", it doesn't mean a complete noob still can't beat you from a simple mistake... (we are only human afterall.) I still find myself not paying attention and making silly mistakes like this. (I can't seem to learn from it. :P ) Although, I am always distracting myself with other things so... (multi-tasking, chatting, etc.) So rating yourself a 10 means you NEVER makes mistakes and your strategy is perfect. (I highly doubt there are any/if any at all players that can truly rate themselves a 10 for sure.)
"You don't have to understand me, I'm just there!" ~ SpoOkyMagician
Creator of: Unwelcome Guests Series, Modifiable Android Project, SpoOky's Survivals, and many more... (Most of my old stuff is gone.)
(User Page)
Midnight_Carnival

Yes, I too tend to charge in with my leader (with similar results), partly because I want my leader to be the highest ranking unit I own (silly) and partly because I just play very aggressively. But it is good to loose against total noobs the first time, makes them think they are good at the game, and thus enjoy it more.

And then when you crush them totally... did you ever sneak up on a cat, and it doesn't even notice you're there, and then when it does it looks at you with that hurt "I'm the lord of the jungle!" expression, you can get the same one out of a noob who thought he was born hardcore at this game.
I call it "top-down bonding".
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Midnight_Carnival wrote:Yes, I too tend to charge in with my leader (with similar results), partly because I want my leader to be the highest ranking unit I own (silly) and partly because I just play very aggressively.
And I'm always to overly cautious and protective of my leader... gee, it's hard to find that middle balance of using your leader enough but not endangering him. :?
Huumy

Post by Huumy »

I play random and it highly depends the faction I roll and only if I'm playing serious ladder game.
Elves: 9
Undeads: 9
Loyalist: 8.5
Orcs: 8
Drakes: 8
Dwarves: 6.5
"And the girl that you want is directly out in front, And she’s waving her caboose at you, You sneeze achoo, She calls you out and boom!"
The offspring, trolling you since forever.
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

ummm... four (that's 4). I pretty much suck at strategy.
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
Yoyobuae

Post by Yoyobuae »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:
Midnight_Carnival wrote:Yes, I too tend to charge in with my leader (with similar results), partly because I want my leader to be the highest ranking unit I own (silly) and partly because I just play very aggressively.
And I'm always to overly cautious and protective of my leader... gee, it's hard to find that middle balance of using your leader enough but not endangering him. :?
My way to find the middle balance: Be way more reckless with my leader than I normally would. When leader dies, then I know I went too far.

Besides, players tend to pull off all this little crazy tricks to achieve semingly impossible leader kills. How are you gonna find about those if your leader doesn't die a few times?
Midnight_Carnival

Besides, players tend to pull off all this little crazy tricks to achieve semingly impossible leader kills. How are you gonna find about those if your leader doesn't die a few times?
Yes, the game's about learning, not winning, some people tend to forget that and suffer becasue of it. Anyway, if my leader hasn't tasted blood I'm not satisfied! (Used to be an Orcish Warloard [92%] before I became a Necromancer [100%])
marcusvinicius

Post by marcusvinicius »

I'm -1
Listen to the music
O que faz de mim ser o que sou. É gostar de ir por onde ninguém for
Crushmaster

Post by Crushmaster »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:
I like to send my leader in fighting some to get a piece of the action. May be somewhat dangerous, but it makes the game more enjoyable. Fortunately, the swordsman unit has a good melee attack and decent HP, so it's less dangerous than using, for example, a Lieutenant.
God bless,
Crushmaster.
Godspeed, random person!
NeedGod - User:Crushmaster