where do you rate yourself as a Wesnoth player?

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Re: where do you rate yourself as a Wesnoth player?

Post by anakayub »

Probably 6.5.

But when was the last time I played... Anyways, I'm better with MP than vs the AI in scenarios/campaigns settings.
Take a breath.
IPS

Post by IPS »

anakayub wrote:Probably 6.5.

But when was the last time I played... Anyways, I'm better with MP than vs the AI in scenarios/campaigns settings.
I have more troubles beating an AI than a human player too. AI is to lucky -.-"
Huumy wrote:I play random and it highly depends the faction I roll and only if I'm playing serious ladder game.
Elves: 9
Undeads: 9
Loyalist: 8.5
Orcs: 8
Drakes: 8
Dwarves: 6.5
Good idea rating your skill in each faction.

IPS's Faction skills:
Loyalists: 9.5
Rebels: 8.5
Northerners: 7.5
Knalgans: 9
Undead: 8 (+1.5 if you are loyalist)
Drakes: 8.5

Overall:
51 of 60 = 8.5
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
Cybermouse

Post by Cybermouse »

I'd have to say about 6 or so. I consider myself a casual Wesnoth player. I hardly ever play online except with friends, and I never play against friends in a competitive match, only as allies. My only point is to have fun at it, and I'm pretty good at that. Winning, on the other hand, is pretty hard for me in the campaigns and such, but maybe that's because I always pick the "challenging" difficulty. That's made me a better player in a lot of respects, and I can usually spot flaws that fellow players are making, but I'm not so good at spotting my own.

I would like to mention that I agree 100% with David's commentary (now a sticky) on the rationale of luck in Wesnoth. Though I have been frustrated with it at times, that happens to me for almost every game, not just Wesnoth. I just get over it and continue playing. Learning to not care when my units die has been one of the biggest things that has helped me strategically. Not that I don't value each unit and protect it as best I can, but I used to get all bent out of shape over losing just one unit, especially from an unfortunately lucky 4-hit strike by the enemy. To the point that it would cause me to go "on tilt" and make more and more mistakes, causing me to lose more units, etc. So, I've since realized that 15 gold can only buy you so much. Some units just weren't meant to live past turn 6. Others were. All just a part of the game.

Rating my skill at the individual default factions, as suggested above:

Drakes: 4
Elves: 7
Knalgans: 5
Loyalists: 6
Northerners: 5.5
Undead: 6.5

Average: 5.667

I think my main weakness is not caring enough about winning to really strategize as much as I could. For instance, I normally don't factor in the map in the large scale; only in the skirmishes and placing my units in the best spots to defend, once a battle has already started. Also, I don't really research about resistances/weaknesses at all, nor have I studied them enough to learn. If I was really motivated to become a good player, I'm quite sure I could get up to a rating of 7 or 8 easily. The problem is, I have a Wii and several hobbies (one of them, developing UMC for Wesnoth). The only reason I'm even as good as I am (which has been without any effort, for the most part) is because I've been playing Wesnoth for about 3 years, and I like RTS games and play them a lot. For the record, I'm terrible at StarCraft, and even worse at StarCraft 2. My strategy tends to fall prey easily to rush tactics (I tech up as fast as I can, then build an army) and sadly, Wesnoth is probably the game I'm best at. But I don't really care. I've beaten several of the Guitar Hero games on Expert, so that's where most of my skillz are at, game-wise.
Cybermouse
<:8( )~
Yoyobuae

Post by Yoyobuae »

Well, since we're doing it by faction now:

Drakes: 5
Elves: ?
Knalgans: ?
Loyalists: ?
Northerners: ?
Undead: ?

LOL

Well, since I always play drakes I'll post "me vs ..." scores:

Drakes: 3 (I prefer asking for remake XD when someone randoms drakes)
Elves: 5
Knalgans: 5
Loys (hate them :P): 6
Northerners: 5.5
Undead: 6

Fighting neutral factions really confuses me. I can't easily tell which ToD is favorable. Against randomed drakes I have no clue what to do. Can't really survive the first few turns when the opponent knows to go with full Clasher/Augur recruit, meanwhile I'm guessing what faction he is. :?

And for the "hard" factions for drakes I have had lot of practice. Wesnoth seems to like to random Undead/Loys when I play. Not to mention players that immediately pick them once they know my faction. :?
SpoOkyMagician

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

faction wise? ...yea, that will be kinda bad for me to rate but, here goes nothing... literally...

edit: Note that I changed these rating just now...

Loyalists: about 4 or 5
Rebels: 5 or 6
Northerners: 3 or 4
Knalgans: 4 or 5
Undead: 4
Drakes: 3 or 4

Yea, maybe it was pointless to post those above but meh... (I did anyway.) As stated many times, I am not great at normal games. This is why i stick with UMC. ;)

edit: I did well with loyalists vs dwarves (ai only though) I will make it a 4 or 5...

edit: Playing a game with orcs and I already don't like them... I am doing ok for the ai but still... I will have to rate myself lower for them... 3-4...

edit: Playing a game with undead... Eh, I love the bats but, that is about it... I am only playing the ai but still... I guess a solid 4... (i am interested in this faction however...)

edit: ...I don't see myself doing very well with drakes either... 3-4...

edit: I think I underrated myself for dwarves by 1 point. (fixes) But, I am still not great with them either... Also, I think I am overrating myself as elves too... (fixed)
Last edited by SpoOkyMagician on September 19th, 2010, 9:23 pm, edited 12 times in total.
"You don't have to understand me, I'm just there!" ~ SpoOkyMagician
Creator of: Unwelcome Guests Series, Modifiable Android Project, SpoOky's Survivals, and many more... (Most of my old stuff is gone.)
(User Page)
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

spookymagician wrote:Yea, maybe it was pointless to post those above but meh... (I did anyway.) As stated many times, I am not great at normal games. This is why i stick with UMC. ;)
Sure, blame the factions. :P

I'll insist that it's a matter of practice and general strategy, not just faction-specific strategy.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
SpoOkyMagician

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

shadowmaster wrote:
spookymagician wrote:Yea, maybe it was pointless to post those above but meh... (I did anyway.) As stated many times, I am not great at normal games. This is why i stick with UMC. ;)
Sure, blame the factions. :P

I'll insist that it's a matter of practice and general strategy, not just faction-specific strategy.
No, I don't blame the factions at all. ...I blame my skill. :P (I just don't play as the lawful/chaotic factions. loyalists, undead, etc. I prefer neutral units. Which is a downfall...) Anyway, you are correct in what you say. (as I said on IRC, it just takes practice. I remember when I used to play AOE2TC online. I was a complete noob compared to other players. Although, after some practice, I did manage to get a lot better. Although, not great... but better...) Anyhow, I may try the other factions later on. But, in general, I will stick with the elves and dwarves.)

~ SpoOkyMagician
Creator of: Unwelcome Guests Series, Modifiable Android Project, SpoOky's Survivals, and many more... (Most of my old stuff is gone.)
(User Page)
IPS

Post by IPS »

spookymagician wrote:
shadowmaster wrote: Sure, blame the factions. :P

No, I don't blame the factions at all. ...I blame my skill. :P (I just don't play as the lawful/chaotic factions. loyalists, undead, etc. I prefer neutral units. Which is a downfall...) Anyway, you are correct in what you say. (as I said on IRC, it just takes practice. I remember when I used to play AOE2TC online. I was a complete noob compared to other players. Although, after some practice, I did manage to get a lot better. Although, not great... but better...) Anyhow, I may try the other factions later on. But, in general, I will stick with the elves and dwarves.)

~ SpoOkyMagician
Try beating an AI player. It's everything less smart, so you must be unlucky to lose againist it.

A developer of many projects like you must know better the wesnoth for more balancing :)
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
SpoOkyMagician

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

I can beat the AI with in general. (with default settings anyway.) I wrote: 'N/A' for a reason. (I have yet to rate myself accurately in this because I never used them before.) I put 'or 1' since I have no clue how good I am with them. (So no, I don't actually consider myself a complete noob with them. I just have yet to test them out.)

However, you are correct, I do need to play/know the other factions. (for the add-ons I make.) I do however know the general stats and whatnot of the units. (Some are kind of obvious though. cold <-> fire for example. Anyway...) I will try them later. However, I am working on something now so, I cannot rate myself in them now/test the factions. When I get a chance, I will let you know. ;)

edit: This is becoming a discussion now... Let's stop while we are ahead... (stay on topic/return to topic.) ...Whenever I get a chance, I will edit my post above and change my rating for the other factions.

edit: Done. Check above. (I only played AI but, I wanted to get the 'feel' for the faction.) I posted my ratings in the post above. I feel that I made good/accurate changes to my rating.

~ SpoOkyMagician
(User Page)
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

3 :whistle: I don't play MP much. But I only ever play easy mode on campaigns.
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Tonepoet

Post by Tonepoet »

I teeter tottered back 'n forth between the extremities of 5 and 7 when I played regularly. I haven't been around for a while though so I'm probably rusty enough to be 4 solid at the moment, esp. if there've been any balancing changes. Also depends on what you consider experienced though....

This topic also reminds me of a funny little 'bout where me and Noy were arguing where my position was amongst the more skilled regulars with me insisting upon fifty and him saying I'm somewhere closer to 30... It was more of a looney tunesque type joking around though so don't put any serious weight into either of those numbers. I wonder if he even remembers...

In other news, we need somebody with some confidence posting in this thread. Where's Noob_Donkey_Trash?
Htonsew Rof Elttab Eht is just too cool for school. I've got no words to describe it. Have any of you guys tried it? ;-)
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

Or Cackfiend? I'm sure he's confident (and good).

Or em, C4rlos? :P
Take a breath.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Somewhere between 5 and 6. 7 on a good day, with the wind behind me. I find it quite hilarious to read some of the peoples' self-ratings in this thread. Dunning-Kruger effect ftw.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

thespaceinvader wrote:Somewhere between 5 and 6. 7 on a good day, with the wind behind me. I find it quite hilarious to read some of the peoples' self-ratings in this thread. Dunning-Kruger effect ftw.
Although some people have rated themselves pretty poor (me, marcusvinicius), either as a joke, or because it is true...
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
SkeleRanger

Post by SkeleRanger »

I haven't done alot with the official servers, but based on my play against most of my friends I'd rate myself around 6 to 6.5. AI's I beat most of the time.
'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index... Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.
--Terry Pratchett
Tale of a Mage(finished)
Art for Tale of a Mage