Turuk, and my Ignorance

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dragonchampion

Turuk, and my Ignorance

Post by Dragonchampion »

Yeah, didn't know about Turuk being permanently gone (as everyone believes) until I saw the report in the JW welcome back thread. :augh:

So, I just wanted to put this up as a little shrine dedicated in his memory.

When I first got on, I was a little ant in a big forum. I had no idea where to go and what to do. WML was a mystery to me, and I hardly had any idea where to begin.

It was Turuk who stepped up and helped me arround, teaching me the basics of the forums, its rules, and its ins and outs. He was the one who helped me out and gave me the inspiration to go on. To this very day, when I administer my forums, I do so with the thought if it was something Turuk would do.

Just wanted to post this in memory of the grand Forum Emperor, whom I always viewed somewhat as a Demigod here in the forums. :)

What I viewed him as:
http://wiki.urbandead.com/images/7/78/Emperor.jpg
Ehhhh... don't mind me, I'm just the annoying little modder who gets on peoples nerves. I'll just lurk till Someone says my name. :P

Oh, and also Creator of The War Of Terrador
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Turuk, and my Ignorance

Post by Iris »

Too bad you didn't get to apply his teachings to these forums. I'm pretty sure he'd agree with me on not liking forum games and over-emphasized thread titles in general.

I also doubt you are such a devote fan of his and yet didn't find out about his absence in the forums despite it being pretty much hammered on your heads all the time, with the disappearing threads with orangey authors and the change of his title and color.

EDIT: I also remember that I was the one who taught you a lot of stuff back then. And your old posts linked from your forum profile seem to confirm this. Hmmmm.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

I always thought he'd be gone for an unknown length of time and would return eventually. And who knows, he might pop back up in a couple years. However, I know virtually nothing about his departure (which took place almost immediately after I joined the forums) other than that he was joining the army, so I can't really speculate on it.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

It's not really an issue anymore, since we have a capable moderators team that is following a very basic set of guidelines that is compatible with Turuk's own principles. I believe administration matters are also being handled more efficiently than during the interim period after his departure.

Of course, it doesn't mean that Turuk is irreplaceable, and I for one await with hope the day he'll come back to tell the current admin off for his incompetent administration and idiotic moves.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Dragonchampion

Post by Dragonchampion »

Shadow, you where the one who taught me the most on WML. Turuk taught me the basics of forum management and was one of the first I met when I started my foray here. Didn't mean to step on anyone's toes. :augh:

Turuk and I had a couple PMs, som it wouldn't be in the forum thread posts.
Ehhhh... don't mind me, I'm just the annoying little modder who gets on peoples nerves. I'll just lurk till Someone says my name. :P

Oh, and also Creator of The War Of Terrador
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Ahhh, okay, he taught you forum management. :P Although it's probably essential to learn forum usage first, which is something I taught to you. :P
Fog

Post by Fog »

We speak of moderators like gods. Artisitcdude, you make him sound like Gandalf when he is separated from the fellowship, lol.
Ecce, in caelo! Est avem! Minime, est vehiculum aerem! Minime, est virum Latinum!
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

FOG-GO BAGGINS
Do not take us for some conjurers of cheap tricks!
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Fog wrote:Artisitcdude, you make him sound like Gandalf when he is separated from the fellowship, lol.
I barely even knew him before he left, TBH. But he helped me learn how to use the forums (this was one of the first forums I ever joined, so I had no idea how to use forums at the time), and he did it in a patient, non-abrasive manner. And I'm grateful to him for that.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

Fog wrote:We speak of moderators like gods. Artisitcdude, you make him sound like Gandalf when he is separated from the fellowship, lol.
It may make me ireverant, disrespectful and unpopular, but I like to think of moderators as humans with few or no supernatural powers. Sometimes when I get a really GREEEEAAATTT! idea for something fun to post which would really set the Hills Creeper amongst the Goblin Spearmen I just imagine some poor bugger coming home after work and having grilfriend troubles and reading the crap I posted then just shaking his head and asking "Why?" And so I don't post my little packet of unadulterated chaos.

It was largely through PM battles with Turuk that I developed the idea that moderators were human and not demons from out of the abyss which I could boost my power-level by battling. Sometimes when you look at the things real people do just as mortal humans and don't try to deify them it actually makes you respect them more.

If Turuk ever comes back please hide this post from him Ok.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Midnight_Carnival wrote:not demons from out of the abyss which I could boost my power-level by battling.
:lol2:
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Midnight_Carnival wrote:If Turuk ever comes back please hide this post from him Ok.
Request denied.
Gambit wrote:FOG-GO BAGGINS
Do not take us for some conjurers of cheap tricks!
This just made my day, although I'm not watching the linked video.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

shadowmaster wrote:Ahhh, okay, he taught you forum management. :P Although it's probably essential to learn forum usage first, which is something I taught to you. :P
Teaching him all the tricks you learned in the Spam Wars of the Summer of '08?
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Hm, during most of Summer 2008 Wesnoth.org was down due to the dreaded Great Crash. Maybe you mean Summer 2007? In such case, I'd say That Didn't Happen™.
PeterPorty
Translator

Post by PeterPorty »

Wow... sounds interesting... keep talking please.
"The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."