Stay away from free to play games?

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

HomerJ

Re: Stay away from free to play games?

Post by HomerJ »

Joram wrote:
Zarel wrote: ("Connotations" as in, you wouldn't say "Wesnoth is free-to-play", but if someone asked you "Is Wesnoth free-to-play?" you would say "yes".)
Well, you said you wouldn't consider Wesnoth a "free to play" game, but if someone asked you if Wesnoth was free to play, would you answer "Yes"? I think that that is where Zarel is coming from.
So one is the free-to-playtm and the other is just... the words? Why the "-" in the question then?

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
johndh

Post by johndh »

I see someone mentioned Atlantica Online, which is exactly what I was thinking of when reading this thread. I used to play that game for quite a while, and once I got to the mid levels (~60), nearly everybody I'd fight in the PvP tournaments were decked out in equipment that cost real money, so I'm guessing that the company makes quite a bit of money. The paying players were always easy to spot, because they'd have nice mounts that were way beyond what they would otherwise have at their level, and various fancy decorations like wings, hats, and fancy costumes, all of which actually provide an in-game bonus, so free players like me have quite a disadvantage in that situation. It's not nearly as bad as Eudemons Online, though. The balancing in that game is so far out of whack that even a slight edge means that somebody can kill you in a single hit, and nearly everybody had real-money stuff. On top of that, most of the player-to-player trading was done in EP (the tokens you pay for with $IRL), so paying players also had a near-monopoly on trade. Of course, you could also scrounge up some EP if you had a nice item to sell, so it was possible for free players to get premium content on rare occasions.
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

HomerJ wrote:Ok, now I'm lost.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connotation

Perhaps an analogy:

You probably wouldn't say "A Grunt costs 12 points" (you'd say 12 gold), but if someone asked you "Does a Grunt cost 12 points?", you'd say "Yes." Maybe you'd say "Yes, they cost 12 gold" which carries the implication "It'd be more accurate to say '12 gold' instead of '12 points'."

Connotations come up a lot in languages. Look for "esp." in a dictionary (short for "especially"). The part after the "esp" is the connotation - it's not the definition of the word, but the context in which you would usually use it.

Another example:

bombardment
1. the act of bombing, esp towns or cities

If you used a bomb to blast open a locked safe, you probably wouldn't say "I bombarded that safe" since it wasn't a town or city. However, if someone asked "Did you bombard that safe?" you'd say "Yes" since you did commit the act of bombing.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

I actually enjoy League of Legends for the simple fact that while free to play, in practice it DOESN'T work out like the pay2pwn games.
cretin

Post by cretin »

yeah johndh I feel ya. I had a lvl 115 character, and managed to get a few mounts (1 through an event) but later missions, if you dont have a special potion that boosts attack and defense by 110%-150%, later missions are insanely hard. Unless you are decked out in top tier armor, which is insanely expensive. And wings... so expensive, 550 million for the cheapest pair (which i spent months saving up to get). And the pain of getting that armored tiger. 1.1 billion. and screw the B rank merc prices. 600 million to upgrade and 1 billion for skills each. I cant believe I used two of them, even if they are skillless lol. Not even gonna talk about the A rank merc's, I think they can range up to 7 billion. And then they nerfed jackpot, which was the only way to get money. So they only way to really shine in the game is invest a lot of money into it.
I actually enjoy League of Legends for the simple fact that while free to play, in practice it DOESN'T work out like the pay2pwn games.
League of Legends im liking for that fact, that real money is only for cosmetic effect, or buying certain heroes and runes, which you can do in game anyways. Gives a free player equal ground to play on.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Zarel wrote: bombardment
1. the act of bombing, esp towns or cities

If you used a bomb to blast open a locked safe, you probably wouldn't say "I bombarded that safe" since it wasn't a town or city. However, if someone asked "Did you bombard that safe?" you'd say "Yes" since you did commit the act of bombing.
:|

Zarel

Post by Zarel »

Gambit wrote: :|

nitpick3.jpg
lol, I'm not the one who asked the question, I'm just the one who answered it.
Kalajel

Post by Kalajel »

Well I've decided to try my hands at other free to play games, let's see how it worked out shall we?

At first, I decided to try Eternal Lands. You can play as a human, elf, or dwarf for free, but the other races are only available to paying players. Since so far, the choice of race seems to be only estethic, so I have no idea what I'm missing with the other 3 races… It's a class-less based game where you can become anything you want by increasing a set of skills, and each skills are increased by using them. So far I have to admit that the game is nice, though I tend to be lost sometimes (I guess having the boundaries of classes would help me greatly here), but the biggest problem I've encountered is that from time to time I get graphical bugs that makes the game unplayable. I've tried posting about this issue on their forum, but for some odd reason I can't post anything there despite having an account there… yet more bugs?

Then I decided to try my hand at Planeshift. Well, not much to say here since I can't log on. The servers are up, everything looks fine, I type everything correctly, but I keep getting this message that my username or password is incorrect… Meh…

Finally, I tried Runescape. I have to say, this one is really nice. It is a browser-based MMORPG where you can only play as humans but after playing Eternal Lands where all the races seem to be flavor only, this fact doesn't bother me at all. Basic play is free, but paying customers get more quests, more inventory space, full screen mode, and the ability to own a home… Just like Eternal Lands, it's a class-less game where you must increase a variety of skills. For some odd reason, despite the fact that Runescape has a lot more skills than Eternal Lands, I'm not as lost when playing Runescape. This maybe due to the fact that the game has many built-in tutorials and that the skills are more intuitive and easier to use than in Eternal Lands… Also, among all the MMORPGs listed here, it's the only one that actually works fine, so definetely worth a try…
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

RuneScape works, but I never found it remotely interesting. It's just horrible addictive enforced grinding, with just enough free to hook you in. It isn't badly made, but it's fairly generic and dull. I always thought the CamelCase ought to be different: RunEscape
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Moribund

Post by Moribund »

Lol eventually you'll find yourself doing the worst kind of grinding in Runescape. One day I realized that I just spent hours mining, and I knew I had to stop. There are a lot of nice free games out there; I don't know why people bother with these Korean money-grabbers.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I did that too. It got especially frustrating having worked out the best mining routes, when people would keep ganking my ore. When I realised I would be spending hours mining, smelting, smithing, selling, mining, smelting, smithing, selling etc ad nauseam, and still not even have levelled the skill to the level i needed, all just to get through a special gate available only to a high mining level, in order to mine, smelt, smith and sell with fewer people about... That was about when I couldn't be bothered any more.

I had the same problem with the allegedly free AdventureQuest and DragonFable. The grinding just got so damn dull, and the only purpose of it was bragging rights, whereby you could brag...to yourself, or other people on the server. Bleh.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

I had some friends who thought the game was called RunEscape. I'm not sure if it was because they never went to the site and only heard about it on IM where it was called "Runescape", or if the old logo didn't make it as obvious.

Myself, I was into RuneScape for a while, but I got out when I discovered I was doing nothing but grinding. Until you get to that point, though, I think it may be legitimately fun.

Oh, man, I remember the old days, where I couldn't figure out how to get back to Lumbridge until I was like level 20. It was just like getting lost in real life. Oh, and back when there was no trade limit. Instead of grinding mine/smelt/smith/sell (which doesn't give you any amount of money worth having, anyway), I would mine/smelt/smith, then just go to Lumby and give full sets of iron armor to newbies.

That was also back when they didn't have separate f2p/p2p rune essence, so mining essence was a pretty good way to get money. And running air runes! You got paid like 2000gp per trip to run from Fally to the air altar (which was right outside the Fally city walls). Best way to get money that I found (but the only one that didn't train any of your skills...) Whenever I needed money, I'd just do one of those. Now, I don't even know.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Jozrael wrote:pay2pwn games.
Man, oh man is that a useful term. I'm not sure if you, in particular, coined that, but thank you nonetheless. :)
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Araja

Post by Araja »

The thing with RuneScape is that there's always something nice just a few levelups away in one skill or another...Very addictive. It was only when I was level 72 and had pretty much run out of f2p things to do that I started to see what was happening. Every time I played I would be repeating a few tasks over and over again, but this time around I had no light at the end of the tunnel to make me think I was getting somewhere. That's when you realize you've spent all those countless hours doing the carrot-and-treadmill thing.

One thing I have to say I loved: p2p items/skills couldn't be used on f2p servers, and there we no "buy with real money" items, so the pay2pwn aspect didn't exist. Infact, if you brought membership gear to a freeplayer battle it would give you no bonuses and you would be *obliterated*.I suspect someone is going to point out an example, so I'll say there were very few exceptions.
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

Araja wrote:The thing with RuneScape is that there's always something nice just a few levelups away in one skill or another...Very addictive. It was only when I was level 72 and had pretty much run out of f2p things to do that I started to see what was happening. Every time I played I would be repeating a few tasks over and over again, but this time around I had no light at the end of the tunnel to make me think I was getting somewhere. That's when you realize you've spent all those countless hours doing the carrot-and-treadmill thing.

One thing I have to say I loved: p2p items/skills couldn't be used on f2p servers, and there we no "buy with real money" items, so the pay2pwn aspect didn't exist. Infact, if you brought membership gear to a freeplayer battle it would give you no bonuses and you would be *obliterated*.I suspect someone is going to point out an example, so I'll say there were very few exceptions.
Membership does tend to let you earn money a lot faster, though, so you could afford better f2p gear. It's a rather indirect benefit, though - RuneScape isn't a buy-your-way-ahead game.

Then again, there are some good buy-your-way-ahead games. Kingdom of Loathing, for instance.