Movies discussion

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: What is everyone's favorite movie at the moment?

Post by Velensk »

I'm going to assume the post above this is not a hoax for the duration of this post.

I would probably dislike it because it's a movie that gives me no reason to like it. I generally consider watching movies to be a case of bad until proven good as it requires me to sit down and pay attention to something I'm not actively involved in for awhile which is something I have a hard time doing even for a good movie.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Saw Rise Of the Planet of the Apes (I heard it was gonna be called Rise of the Apes but scrapped because the name would confuse people, kind of like "Lead" Zeppelin) and I thought it was very good. Sad story that actually leads to a very legitimate reason how the apes get so smart.
Spoiler:
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
MCP

Post by MCP »

Velensk wrote:I'm going to assume the post above this is not a hoax for the duration of this post.

I would probably dislike it because it's a movie that gives me no reason to like it. I generally consider watching movies to be a case of bad until proven good as it requires me to sit down and pay attention to something I'm not actively involved in for awhile which is something I have a hard time doing even for a good movie.
You're going to be disappointed by just about every movie being made these days. (or well most movies being made for all of time, past and future)

I went into Rubber thinking, 'this is going to suck, but it should be fun.' Then I was surprised that is was more than a tire rolling around blowing up craniums.

I remember about ten years ago I saw the ads for Pitch Black. First I thought it took place on Pluto (don't know how that happened). Second I smelled a terrible and poop infested plot coming my way. I avoided it.

Then ten years later, just last weekend, I thought, what if I went into Pitch Black knowing it's going to suck. First there was the case that it's not on Pluto, they crash land on some mysterious planet. It was very pretty and I was mesmerized (and only one beer down so far!). I finished it, enjoyed it, had fun, and was entertained for about 2 hours. Now if I went in with the idea "this is going to suck." I'd have been sitting there thinking, "this is every survivor/horror movie I've seen before." And I'd be correct. People did stupid stuff, some people died, somebody did something "good," somebody did something "bad," and oh hey look at that, it's not as good as Alien.

I can't help it if I have complex tastes, but if I can let my ego go and sit through a movie with low expectations, I'll have a lot more entertainment.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I recently saw The Source Code, which was kinda good if you'd stop the tape before the last ~5 minutes of the movie. It's a relatively well balanced action/psychological movie.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

Super 8 was really good.
powershot

Post by powershot »

I liked Transformers 3. It was Awesome!
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
Boldek

Post by Boldek »

I think my favorite movie at the moment is Battle: Los Angeles. Really enjoyed the military action and the aliens in general in that film, especially the part when they figure out why the aliens like water so much.
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

Went and saw Jonny English Reborn yesterday. Quite good, very funny, a fair bit different from the first one, but in good ways.
(Theres also an extra scene a little way through the credits, which those people who simply got up and left the cinema as soon as the credits started, missed.)
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Joram

Post by Joram »

(Theres also an extra scene a little way through the credits, which those people who simply got up and left the cinema as soon as the credits started, missed.)
If I ever make movies (which I won't, but that's beside the point), I'm gonna be sure to make those people who get up as soon as the credits start PAY!!! :twisted:
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

lol yeah, or put dummy credits halfway through the movie. :P
Maybe they should put them back to the start, they still do that in James Bond. Speaking of which... the world had better not end next year, because Bond 23 is coming out Oct 2012.
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
uncleshelby

Post by uncleshelby »

Frogger5 wrote:The world had better not end next year, because Bond 23 is coming out Oct 2012.
Nah, not until December 21. So you'll be fine.

Anyways, my favorite movie is... The Blob. So awesome.
Timshel
Often

Post by Often »

That is a very tough question.. do you mean recently or all time? Also different movies can be 'favourite' for drastically different reasons.

Buckaroo banzai?

Lawrence of Arabia?

Whale Rider?

Glory?

Wrath of Khan?
Great_Mage_Atari

Often wrote:That is a very tough question.. do you mean recently or all time? Also different movies can be 'favourite' for drastically different reasons.
How is this difficult? It's not specified for a reason.
Anyways, I like Blues Brothers. One of the best John Belushi movies ever!
MRDNRA

Re: Movies discussion

Post by MRDNRA »

Sci fi (like Star Trek, especially the most recent one), disaster films (like 2012 and The Day After Tomorrow), zombie films. That's my favourite 3 genres at the minute (well Sci Fi and disaster always have been). Tend to watch quite a lot of films on the Sci Fi channel on sky tv, although a lot of them are, at very best, mediocre, some are stupid beyond belief, terrible filming in some of them.
Great_Mage_Atari

Re: Movies discussion

Has anybody seen Anchorman? Still a classic.