Books discussion

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Edguy_Forever

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by Edguy_Forever »

pretty much at random, but I am not that far into it yet, so maybe I will switch to another book. any suggestions on a good starter?
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

I have not read enough of them to give good advice, but I can direct you to the right places.

List of Pern Books by Publication Date

Chronological Order Based on Content

Naturally, reading them by publication will probably not bother you at all, but the chronological benefit is that it will all make sense in your mind by flowing from one to the next (hopefully).
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
PsychoticKittens

Post by PsychoticKittens »

I'm doing my summer reading assignment. whoopie.

Tess D'Urbervilles
and
The Awakening
Creator of: Mercenaries Era; Modern Combat
Future Projects: Faunima: Land of Monsters
Temporarily Dropped Projects: Zombie Horde
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

After finishing some mini-series about Death in Gaiman's Sandman-universe (again, for German-speaking users, there is a brandnew review at my personal blog about them), I finally can start reading Gaiman's "The Graveyard Book", which has a great reputation so far, according to the reviews. The basic plot is about am orphan boy being raised on a graveyard by beings normally depicted as scary and frightening. I am really excited about reading it...
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

I felt I'd chime in on here since I'm really liking the books I'm reading. Which is The King Raven Trilogy, Hood, Scarlet, and Tuck, by Stephen Lawhead. I'm currently on the second book, very good reading :). As is most of Lawhead's stuff.
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Just finished re-reading Susan Cooper's "Dawn of Fear".
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Edguy_Forever

Post by Edguy_Forever »

Susan Cooper=awesome! simple as that.
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

I'm about 3/4 of the way through Treason, by Orson Scott Card.

It is set on a planet named Treason. The original inhabitants were all part of some huge rebellion, and as a punishment they were dumped there. It is a good prison because there are no useful metals anywhere near the surface (which means no spaceships to leave the planet)

It's interesting because has happened to their society in the 3000 years between the founding of the world and the time of the book. All the people have split into countries led by the direct descendants of the original inhabitants and the countries are named after the family/individual that founded them. For example, "Mausser" was founded by a geneticist and over the years the country advanced in genetics so far that all the people are able to regenerate and heal at ridiculous rates due to genetic manipulation. All the different countries are fighting for world domination using these very wierd abilities they have developed.

IMO, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but it makes for a good story.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I've seen a very similar story (and a very good one) set on a water world (for similar reasons and with a similar premise), with the people living on gigantic lily pads, and having to fend off attacks from giant sea serpents. I wish I could remember the title. I think it was something like 'in the blue'.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

thespaceinvader wrote:I've seen a very similar story (and a very good one) set on a water world (for similar reasons and with a similar premise), with the people living on gigantic lily pads, and having to fend off attacks from giant sea serpents. I wish I could remember the title. I think it was something like 'in the blue'.
The Blue World by Jack Vance. I remember reading it years ago, but it tells a good story about relying on one evil to protect you from others.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Coaxke

Post by Coaxke »

Alright, now I'm reading Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk (if that is how you spell his name).

I'm only on chapter 7, so no spoilers please if you have read it, but I'd like to know what you guys think about this book if you have read it at all. So far, I have enjoyed it :)

Reply back if you have read it please.
Please click here to apply for a Computer-Aided Enrichment Center program. Message me if you need help following the simple, on-screen instructions.

Projects I'm currently working on:
  • Warlords
  • WesCiv (delayed)
  • WesCol (delayed)
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

I read it after reading Fight Club and seeing the movie, and thinking hey, more by the same author might be good.

Well.... and I thought Fight Club was messed up...
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

Just finished Bonehunters by Steven Erikson

I loved it mostly
particularly the way in which the most unlikely people, in the most unlikely circumstances would break into these long presumptious philosophical discussions.
Kind of like the forum.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
cobra

Post by cobra »

Just finished "Lost on Venus".
Thank you President Bush
Ask not what wesnoth can do for you, but what you can do for wesnoth.-cobra
In_My_CrossHairs

Post by In_My_CrossHairs »

Now reading:
The Gulag Archipelago, Part I by Aleksander I. Solzhenitsyn

An absolutely riveting book so far. Although some parts require knowledge of and the U.S.S.R. beforehand.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

The best weapon against an enemy is another enemy.
Friedrich Nietzsche