The User Art Topic

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jetrel

Re: The User Art Topic

Post by Jetrel »

@DUHH: What kitty said. :o
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

spookymagician's very freaking talented friend wrote:That awesome portrait
I got inspired.

Link, because for some reason the forum is telling me that I cannot use certain BBCodes: [img] :?

Critique would be nice. Or comments in general.
DUHH
Art Contributor

Post by DUHH »

kitty wrote: Wow! Really nice and fits the guy! You say it's an introductory panel - will you do the others, too? Please post them when they are done!

/Kitty goes to read some comics.
Thanks! I´m did the whole article, both art and text. But the art outside the introductory panel is A BIT different in style. Will post some later...
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Zerovirus wrote:
spookymagician's very freaking talented friend wrote:That awesome portrait
I got inspired.

Link, because for some reason the forum is telling me that I cannot use certain BBCodes: [img] :?

Critique would be nice. Or comments in general.
Common drawing issue: tunnelvision. It looks like, when doing the fine-rendering on a bunch of areas in that, that you hunkered down and spent a bunch of time focusing on finishing up that area (which is extremely normal and kinda necessary for artists to do). The danger is losing sight of what the rest of the drawing is coming out like by comparison, and having the specific areas you're putting a lot of finish into getting mismatched with the rest.

Right now, that upper lip looks a little bright compared to the rest of the face, and it makes it stick out in a rather unflattering way. I think that the cheekbones, the chin, the nose, and other parts of the face which are angled/facing the same way, should be equally bright.

Also, dithering like crazy like that can tend to be a big timesink, and can make a picture look less clear. A complete lack of dithering hurts too; the ideal is sort of a happy medium.

:) Gotta say, though - nice work, there. Doing portraits like that in spriteart is hard.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

This is a self portrait I painted last night. Photoshop plus a mirror for reference.
I do those from time to time to help me focus. Painting one self is always strangely familiar and alien at the same time. You belief to know the subject at hand better than most others but when you are forced to really look at yourself and not just nodd the bathroom mirror good morning you start contemplating. Checking my inner picture of myself against reality… Seeing what others might see and thinking about what has happened lately, what decisions I made, on what I put my emphasis and in which way all this might show. Kind of a cleansing process. That might also be the reason why I feel I look tense and/or sad on most of those portraits - I really hope this is due to the kind of mood I'm in when I tend to do those and I don't look like that all the time :P
Attachments
250110.jpg
Redeth
Art Contributor

Post by Redeth »

Well I see mostly a black square, courtesy of my burned out old monitor (soon to be replaced by an LCD), but you do look upset, so have a cookie. :)
- Rojo Capo Rey de Copas -
Issyl

Post by Issyl »

Wow, that's quite incredible. As Redeth said, it is kind of dark, but I don't think that's really an issue to the quality of the piece.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

And finally we get to know how kitty looks like :-)
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Soo. Can someone who actually can do portraits convert that into an alternate Dark Adept female portrait?

:P

If you don't know the joke, go lurk in the Restricted Artdev Forum more.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

, [url]
Last edited by Blarumyrran on August 30th, 2014, 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

Thanks for reminding me of Alchemy! :D
I checked it out last year when no mac version was available, but I just noticed that there is one now - now I just need to find some time to play with it.

Your work with it is interesting - very painterly stuff. Most alchemy art works I've seen are more graphical. Exploring shapes to procss in other programs, thumbnails and the like.

--
For the hair in my portrait being differently saturated - I painted it only in greyscale first and slapped color on with some quick multiply layers afterwards... So that would mostly be carelessness :P
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Gögääh. From now on, everyone starts hating me... I tried to do a self portrait...
But it doesn't look like me AT ALL!!! So don't think I look like this:
At all. I look like this:
http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss6/ ... stupid.jpg
(I censored eyes...)
Check out my sprites!
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Why'd ya give yourself such big nostrils? :P You didn't exactly flatter yourself by doing that, y'know. I'd never have the courage to do a self portrait, though I might make a self-sprite sometime...
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

artisticdude wrote:Why'd ya give yourself such big nostrils? :P
Hmm, well... Because I'm an ape? :o
Check out my sprites!
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Or a cyborg that can fire shotgun shells from its face.