Oldschool Browser games?

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

shevegen

Oldschool Browser games?

Post by shevegen »

This is not so much "fitting" to this thread, but it refers to games, not related to
wesnoth the game itself.

Anyone remembers the 1990s era? There were quite some browser games. Archmage
from Mari; that continued via The Reincarnation but ever since they added "bots" it
became a waste of time. Evidently tons of old browser games died or were "replaced"
with some huge games I have no real interest in investing time into.

Anyone can still recommend some browser games? Graphics or oldschool look do not
matter to me; I am more interested in being able to play it for some time but then also
making long breaks if necessary. Any recommendations, or have they all died out?

PS: I feel like grandpa indeed now! I guess many were not even born in the 1990s ...
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Re: Oldschool Browser games?

Post by WhiteWolf »

Moved to Off-Topic (as you said, this is not a forum game, so that's where this belongs.)

Since Adobe Flash was shut down for good, most of the stuff I remember is also gone with it, my favorite was 1066. I think the Humbug game and it's sequels are still available though, that's a very funny silly game, worth checking out if it's still up somewhere.
EDIT: No, that seems gone too, I can't find it anymore.
Winterbells is still available though. That's such a cute stress-reliever for exam-periods :D
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

All I can think of is those advertised on TV like Elvenar, etc.

I recall the 70's man. 8 - ) But yeah the 90's were the golden age of the PC and the Internet. MS-DOS, 2400 baud modems, the usenet. Oh the nostalgiagasmicness! Personally I was WAY different as far as web browsers went though. I spent the 90's using TEXT ONLY LYNX browser. So I never played browser games. Lotsa telnet games though.
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

one of my favourites old browser games that is now defunct was Book of Mages 2. three possible paths for you to take in the story, and the tavern had a different text whenever you got a new achievement. also each clan played differently.
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
wesnoth21

Post by wesnoth21 »

I'd say Die2Nite and The Kingdom of Loathing are both excellent if you're looking for browser games. Torn might also work if you don't mind the huge amount of time it takes for a lot of things and the [censored] that other people can do to you.
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

Freeciv. This is not spam.
http://www.freeciv.org/

Important EDIT:
This is the link to the browser version:
https://www.freecivweb.org/

You wouldn't necessarily know about the browser version from visiting the first link. The browser version, when in fullscreen mode, looks practically like a native game and if you showed it to someone they wouldn't even know it was in a browser
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

I just found an amazing site where you can play hundreds of classic old games. Atari, Commodore, DOS, etc.
playclassic.games is the address and it appears to be completely free, just need to turn on javascript for that site.
I tried Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe (DOS 90's), Asteroids (Atari 2600) but it failed to load, California Games (90's DOS).
I saw stuff available like Civilization, Doom, Prince of Persia, SimTower. There seem to be hundreds. Maybe a 1000.
Since it's played in a browser I figure it belongs in this thread.
dysongordon

Post by dysongordon »

I played a game called Utopia a long time ago. Runescape is a popular one. I don't have super fast internet so I'm looking for browser-based game ideas!