Wesnoth 2.0 and project Haldric?

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

fabi
Inactive Developer

Re: Wesnoth 2.0 and project Haldric?

Post by fabi »

Pentarctagon wrote: September 16th, 2020, 11:57 pm To add a couple bits if information:
  • For licensing, the practical effect is that Haldric would be able to use libraries that are forbidden by the GPL currently. Steam's SDK is not GPL compatible for example, so Haldric would potentially be able to add support for Steam achievements whereas current Wesnoth will simply never be allowed to do that.
  • Haldric isn't going to be a 3D game :P
Can't that be easily work arounded?
Save archivements to file.
Inform the steam server with a script.
"Wesnoth has many strong points but team and users management are certainly not in them." -- pyrophorus
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

I'm not sure how Steam achievement specifically work, if that's the case. Anything that would require using the Steam SDK can't be used by any of the existing C++, though.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Then write a small c++ client, matching the Steam SDK's license requirements. You are certainly allowed to start other binaries, and give them input via stdin for example.
This should really be easy to work around.
"Wesnoth has many strong points but team and users management are certainly not in them." -- pyrophorus
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

I suppose that could work, but it's still a fairly ridiculous situation to be in to need to write an extra shim application to bypass license restrictions.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Yes, I agree.
But on the other hand, steam offers more than only the archivements, thus it might be worth the fuss.
edit: Remember that AI<some_number> works for steam, or did so in the past.
He might know more and I have seen him on Discord lately.
revolting_peasant

Post by revolting_peasant »

Why does the Stream SDK have such a "poison license" anyway? I mean, I know a lot of FOSS has a non-GPL "permissive" license - but why should the Steam SDK a specifically GPL-incompatible license?