How to search the irc channel?

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

CrawlCycle

How to search the irc channel?

Post by CrawlCycle »

How to search the irc log?
Downloading every *.log file in https://www.wesnoth.org/irclogs/ takes a long time.

Downloading only the log of developer chats in 2020 takes less time.
$ wget -r -np -nH --cut-dirs=3 -R index.html -A '#wesnoth-dev*.log' https://www.wesnoth.org/irclogs/2020/ -e robots=off
$ grep -rnw . -e "continuous-integration"
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Re: How to search the irc channel?

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Awhile ago, I actually wrote a server-side PHP program specifically designed for searching IRC logs… it was for something completely unrelated to Wesnoth, but if there's enough interest, perhaps it could be adapted and installed on the logs server… mind you, it has performance problems as well, so I don't know if that's really a great option.

Besides that, I don't think there's any good way to search other than maybe putting "site:irclogs.wesnoth.org" into your preferred search engine.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
CrawlCycle

Post by CrawlCycle »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 7:44 am Besides that, I don't think there's any good way to search other than maybe putting "site:irclogs.wesnoth.org" into your preferred search engine.
Google doesn't index enough pages in irclogs.wesnoth.org. I guess that is because of the robots.txt.
Searching for "continuous integration site:irclogs.wesnoth.org" on google gives no result.
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

This is a general problem with google IMO. Google "forgets" things too, for whatever the
reason (and I am not even implying malicious intent here). I recently cleaned up tons
of old links, from 2000 and so forth. I gathered news-related content, but forgot to add
an URL. I tried to find them but most of these pages I could no longer find at all. Some
of them were gone, but others existed yet google could not find them. I am trying to
archive important links I used in the past myself now ...

On topic: perhaps the IRC logs could be added to a SQL database and updated once a month
or so? This could help search through stuff without needing to download the individual
text files.