Wesnoth 2.0 and project Haldric?

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

revolting_peasant

Wesnoth 2.0 and project Haldric?

Post by revolting_peasant »

I read a mention of Wesnoth 2.0 and of project Haldric in the new constitution, and realized I haven't heard about these initiatives (initiative, singular?) before.

Now, I suppose it's a rewrite using a different "engine". But other than that I know nothing, so - I was hoping this forum's denizens could sketch out, roughly and in a couple of paragraphs what this change would mean for Wesnoth' development and perhaps w.r.t. capabilities exposed to the user (if there's any planned feature which depends on this transition.)

To describe myself as an "audience" for this explanation: I'm a C++ (and CUDA) software developer myself, but I've never worked with LUA nor gotten into the Wesnoth codebase.

Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Wesnoth 2.0 and project Haldric?

Post by Pentarctagon »

Initiative (singular, since they refer to the same thing). The basic premise is that there's currently a lot of technical debt present as well as a lot of custom implemented functionality (engine, UI toolkit, scripting languages, etc) that needs to be maintained, so it would be beneficial to use a separate engine rather than needing to handle all that ourselves. Haldric/Wesnoth 2.0 then is an attempt to re-implement the same gameplay on top of the Godot engine, and UMC would be created in the Godot editor rather than with WML and lua. This effort is being headed by Bitron and vultraz.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code

revolting_peasant

Post by revolting_peasant »

@Pentarctagon: So, this Godot, I take it...

I have a few questions, if I may (and if you have the time):
  1. Does Godot really obviate the use of a ubiquitous-markup-language? I understand WML has been central to how Wesnoth works and how its parts interact. Is there some equivalent (or adaptable mechanism in Godot?
  2. Have you "lucked out" to be able to just cut away a bunch of your code out, and keep most of the rest about the same, plus some glue? Or is it more complicated than that?
  3. Will you need to, or want to, extend Godot itself significantly?
  4. How performant is Godot? Or perhaps I should ask - how "heavy" is it on your system when running a game like Wesnoth?
  5. I don't think I can find the time to help you guys (and if I had free time - my LibreOffice RTL language QA work comes first). But - are you perhaps fundraising for this purpose?

Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Yep, that Godot.

For #1: The general equivalent would be Godot's scripting language, gdscript, which is very python-like.
For #2: It's less about lucking out as it is using Godot instead of custom implementing various things. For example, there obviously still needs to be a game engine, but it'd be Godot's engine rather than the custom implementation used in current Wesnoth.
For #3: I'm not really sure - I've not been especially involved in Haldric's development so far.
For #4: There have been some issues, though as I've understood it a lot of the problems stem from too closely following how things are done in current Wesnoth vs what's optimal for Godot. Bitron would be much better able to answer this, though.
For #5: Haldric is still pre-alpha, so there's nothing like that going on for it yet. There is a general Wesnoth Liberapay though.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code