Eastern Invasion

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

sorry, no new version today, but i did fix the bugs, so get this if you don't know how to do it today. oh, wait, the Ogre Training scenario has been radically changed, for better or for worse, i don't know.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

OK, sorry, there WAS a new version yesterday, i updated it about 10 hours ago, but i forgot to come post and tell you about it.

Changes:
new scenario, Tribal Warfare
Ogre Training scenario drastically changed, again
Less cuttle fish than before (on undead crossing)
Access to Crossing works again, as does access to Ogre Training
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Suggest that the bonus=yes be removed from the Ogre Training scenario.

As you cannot finish early, this only causes the player to lose gold.
A witty saying proves nothing.
-Voltaire
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

blackjack wrote:Suggest that the bonus=yes be removed from the Ogre Training scenario.

yeah, OK... i keep on forgetting that. :(

any comments on the scenario itself though? too hard/too easy/just right?
The World of Orbivm
cynic

Post by cynic »

turin wrote:
blackjack wrote:Suggest that the bonus=yes be removed from the Ogre Training scenario.

yeah, OK... i keep on forgetting that. :(

any comments on the scenario itself though? too hard/too easy/just right?
Getting the ogre to kill the dummy is really easy. Moving him to the signpost without getting himself killed (he likes to attack my mage of light, for some reason), is somewhat difficult. It would be easier if you could win by moving him to some set of places (e.g., "make the ogre follow you across the river"), not just a single hex.

Also, it's confusing to me what the difference is between "use the whip" and "reason with the ogre" are, besides the 50 gold. Either way I wind up having to do the same thing.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

cynic: you seem to be talking about the earlier version of this level. currently, it is much different than the level you are responding too. download the newest version to see.

and i guess i should have made that more clear.
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Oh, and i made the dwarves much less powerful in Escape Tunnel. Now i can't seem to win it on easy. Of course, maybe its just i'm not very good :). Do you think i should put their gold back up?
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

turin wrote:Oh, and i made the dwarves much less powerful in Escape Tunnel. Now i can't seem to win it on easy. Of course, maybe its just i'm not very good :). Do you think i should put their gold back up?
and now their more powerful again! but not as powerful as they were to begin with.

i'd really like some feedback on the changes i've made to the earlier scenarios, though. its not fun having to completely playtest several levels myself. :(
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

turin wrote: i'd really like some feedback on the changes i've made to the earlier scenarios, though. its not fun having to completely playtest several levels myself. :(
I concur with Turin's sentiment here.

Often people comment on the new levels, but not on changes to the old ones :-/

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Circon

Post by Circon »

Wasn't that hard for me... I didn't notice the difference. The dwarves didn't slaughter the necromancer, but I thought this was normal variation.
Yoshiki

Post by Yoshiki »

turin wrote: i'd really like some feedback on the changes i've made to the earlier scenarios, though. its not fun having to completely playtest several levels myself. :(
I played Training the Ogres again with version 0.2.5 and wesnoth from CVS compiled one or two days ago. I'm playing with middle difficulty. Gweddry
is sergent, Dacyn is mage of light and Owaec is Shock Trooper.

I thought the level was quite difficult but I played again and the most obvious strategy of going to nearest village worked. So now I think the level is OK.

I have one problem though. I captured some young ogres but I can't recruit any young ogres in next scenario. I guess add_recruit is not working as intended?

For the Tribal Warfare, I like stronger dwarves because it will be more challenging (the last time I played that level was when the archive was called loyalistcampaign5.tar.gz). But in that case, I want more villages to capture or I'll lose all my gold. I'm a level up maniac and my troops consists of 4 arch mages, 2 paladins, 2 mage of lights, 1 halbardier, 1 loyal guard, 1 grand knight and others. I'm up for stronger oponents. :)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Yoshiki wrote:For the Tribal Warfare, I like stronger dwarves because it will be more challenging (the last time I played that level was when the archive was called loyalistcampaign5.tar.gz). But in that case, I want more villages to capture or I'll lose all my gold. I'm a level up maniac and my troops consists of 4 arch mages, 2 paladins, 2 mage of lights, 1 halbardier, 1 loyal guard, 1 grand knight and others. I'm up for stronger oponents. :)
Um...wow. thats a lot of leveled units. :shock:

hopefully in the future you won't be able to get that many because i decreased the allowed # of turns on all levels. still...
this level is level 10, with the Ogre level not really being available for levelling. In HttT this is like Valley of Death. I don't know how much stronger these units should be...
Also, note that you have to kill all enemies, and when you kill one the others gain gold, so if you go for the dwarves fist they will seem like the easiest. ;)

but thanks for the comments, i'll try to balance that scenario now. :)

[edit]

Ok, i greatly reduced the number of turns you have on that level (from 64 to 36) because i just played it, and i won in 34 turns. i also added a holy water potion thingy.
The Ogre level appears to have some bugs in it, and i'll go try to fix it.

if you want to download the newest version, go to the link below and select 0.2.6

[/edit]
The World of Orbivm

Post by Guest »

Playing 0.2.6 on 0.7.3, medium difficulty.

I find Escape Tunnel to be largely a matter of luck.

It is very difficult to fight through the northern tunnel, so usually I put a force in the northern tunnel to attract the AI's attention while Gweddry slips through the southern tunnel.

However, if just 1 troll whelp happens to come near the junction just before the exit, then there will be problems. There's no way that Gweddry can make it through in time, since he'll have to kill off a troll whelp singlehandedly (or at most with the help of 1 other unit) in at most 5 turns.

Regardless of what else happens in the level, that is the single determining factor in whether I win.

Perhaps others have different perspectives.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

don't send him down alone. send a quick mage (quick so it has 6 movement and can keep up) down with him. the mage should be able to do a lot of damage, and together they can defeat the troll in 3 turns. (the problem with using only Gweddry is not that he doesn't do enough damage- he does- its that the troll regenerates 8 hp a turn, so unless gweddry hits 3 times out of 6 (the troll also attacks you), the troll is actually gaining health).

also, try to press as hard as you can in the middle cave. mages are the only unit i have found to be effective in this level, plus one spearman to get the holy water. if you press hard enough the troll sometimes doesn't come until too late.
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

All right, and here is another release. This time it is 0.3.1.

changes:
new scenario Lake Vrug
fixed Orcish Training scenario so you can recruit Young Ogres at the end of it
balanced Elven Alliance, Northern Outpost, Two Paths and Tribal Warfare

download here

once again, even the levels that have been in for several weeks have a minimum of playtesting, so any feedback is welcome.
The World of Orbivm