The Return of Flame - Campaign for 1.16

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ishichan

The Return of Flame - Campaign for 1.16

Post by Ishichan »

This is the development thread for the campaign The Return of Flame.
TRoF is an undead campaign, drafted by KameRamen.

Lead the elvish necromancer Hiroc and take the power of darkness in your hands.
(Intermediate level, 6 scenarios now.)

The project has now moved to Innocence. Therefore it is not available as an add-on.
<viewtopic.php?t=57239>
Last edited by Ishichan on February 23rd, 2024, 6:50 pm, edited 26 times in total.
KameRamen

Re: The Return of Flame - Campaign for 1.16

Post by KameRamen »

It is still work in progress, but we hope you enjoy it and give us some feedback.
Last edited by Wesnoth-KameRamen on February 23rd, 2024, 12:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kame means turtle in Japanese. I chose this name because I love turtles and ramen.
Author of The Bees Journey, A Starry Forest, and Beyond the Eternal Morning
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Hi folks,

I tried the campaign. The english is pretty solid, but one sentence in the intro makes no sense: He stole the eyes of the guards seems strange.
Maybe he somehow distracted the guards, blended them or somehow could escape the guards, or maybe stole from the eyes of the guard - I don't know if the is good english (would work in german).

In the first scenario I receive a lua bug message:

Code: Select all

basic_string:: M_create
stack traceback: 
[C]: in field 'add'
Beside this bug the first scenario was playable and it was fun. The player is in an advantage and I like that, as many campaigns tend to make their first scenario too hard, which will scare many players. The story seems fun.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Ishichan

Post by Ishichan »

Heindal wrote: June 26th, 2023, 11:15 am Hi folks,

I tried the campaign. The english is pretty solid, but one sentence in the intro makes no sense: He stole the eyes of the guards seems strange.
Maybe he somehow distracted the guards, blended them or somehow could escape the guards, or maybe stole from the eyes of the guard - I don't know if the is good english (would work in german).

In the first scenario I receive a lua bug message:

Code: Select all

basic_string:: M_create
stack traceback: 
[C]: in field 'add'
Beside this bug the first scenario was playable and it was fun. The player is in an advantage and I like that, as many campaigns tend to make their first scenario too hard, which will scare many players. The story seems fun.
Hello, Heindal!
Thank you for your feedback on the English text. I will release a corrected version at a later date. As for the Lua bug, I am not sure of the cause, but I will look into it and try to fix it.
Ishichan

Post by Ishichan »

I have released the newest version of The Return of Flame!
Last edited by Ishichan on August 16th, 2023, 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ishichan

Post by Ishichan »

Ishichan

Post by Ishichan »

Straff

Post by Straff »

Hi, nice campaign.
I like it so far, but sadly I was not able to beat the 3rd scenario on the first try.
The map is relative big, so the turn limit was to tight for me to defeat all three enemies (each of them in a different corner of the map). All my units, except bats and ghosts, are so slow on mountain terrain, and most of the map is mountain terrain. Another problem is that I had not that much gold, because the turn limit is pretty tight in all previous scenarios too. I need at least +5 turns here, to cope this scenario.

There is a wrong image path for the leading animation in the .cfg of the elvish wizzard:
image="units/elvish-wizard-magic-1.png:300"
image="units/undead-necromancers/elvish-wizard-magic-1.png:300"

---
Attachments
TRoF-1-The Time for Departing Aufzeichnung abspielen 20230813-194725.gz
(23.33 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
TRoF-1-Confronting the Past Aufzeichnung abspielen 20230813-201502.gz
(29.21 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
TRoF-1-Malice and Hostility Aufzeichnung abspielen 20230813-214027.gz
(54.66 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Last edited by Straff on August 14th, 2023, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Straff

Post by Straff »

id=05_The_Book_of_Agarash I

The scenario is not that clear. It was not clear to me that I have to move my leader to the enemy's keep to end the scenario.

---

id=06_The_Book_of_Agarash II

There is not a single village, that means no healing, and negative income. The player's gold goes into a three-digit negative range pretty quickly.

Most important issue:
The objectives are unclear, I had to take a look into the code to find out what I have to do to win this scenario. The secret passage is hard to find, there is no hint, or something that helps to find it. And even the objectives don't hint about it. The player will only find it when he accidental stumbles on the right hex.
Maybe you can place some item there, to make the player curious, so that he will move a unit to that spot.

---
Attachments
TRoF-1-The Book of Agarash I Aufzeichnung abspielen 20230813-234623.gz
(49.13 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
TRoF-1-The Book of Agarash II Aufzeichnung abspielen 20230814-133432.gz
(40.78 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
Ishichan

Post by Ishichan »

Hello, Straff. Thanks for the feedback!
Straff wrote: August 13th, 2023, 9:50 pm The scenario is not that clear. It was not clear to me that I have to move my leader to the enemy's keep to end the scenario.
I do think it was difficult to grasp the objectives. I added clues.
Straff wrote: August 13th, 2023, 9:50 pm There is not a single village, that means no healing, and negative income. The player's gold goes into a three-digit negative range pretty quickly.

Most important issue:
The objectives are unclear, I had to take a look into the code to find out what I have to do to win this scenario. The secret passage is hard to find, there is no hint, or something that helps to find it. And even the objectives don't hint about it. The player will only find it when he accidental stumbles on the right hex.
Maybe you can place some item there, to make the player curious, so that he will move a unit to that spot.
Thanks for the important idea. I added few new villages and slightly increased income. I have also provided clues for the secret passages.
I will be releasing a new version with these changes and improvements soon :)
Straff

Post by Straff »

Minor issue:
If an enemy drops an item while he is on a village, I can’t take the village if I don’t have a unit that is able to pick up the item. Units that are unable to take the item can not capture the village.
Ishichan

Post by Ishichan »

Straff wrote: November 23rd, 2023, 7:58 pm Minor issue:
If an enemy drops an item while he is on a village, I can’t take the village if I don’t have a unit that is able to pick up the item. Units that are unable to take the item can not capture the village.
Hello, Straff. I have not logged into the forum for so long that it has taken me awhile to reply.
Thanks for the error report. I will improve it.