Attack buttons

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
enki

halberd

Post by enki »

I always pictured the halberd as less axe-like. Found (google) a couple of images to describe what I mean:
http://www.bow.k12.nh.us/CyberBUS/armor ... alberd.htm

The weapons look great otherwise :)
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I agree. part of a halberd can have an axe blade, but I often assume that it will have several other spikey parts on it as well.

Edit: I also like the idea of a closeup on the end of the necromancer's staff. You could enlarge the skull, perhaps make it more detailed with gems in its eyesockets or some such.

Edit: Should the claws picture be edited so that the fur is silver/grey to match the color of the fumonz's other natural attacks? I think it would look cool if the all natural attacks had the same general color. How would the claw look if the fur was silver/grey instead of brown? (I also remember someone saying they didn't like the claw hand, but it seems to be staying for lack of anything better, and I think it makes sense)
Svetac

Post by Svetac »

Here's the pike: Image

And I did an edit of Slainte's necromancer's staff. I enlarged it a bit, and made the head a little bit smaller so that now it looks longer.

Will edit the halberd and make the axe part smaller and less noticable.

As for the natural attack, I don't like them to have generic colors. I think that they should have different colors as well as all other pictures. This way they stray out from the concept.
Slainte

Post by Slainte »

nice pike and edit... (I am a bit lazy on reworks you know...) too bad the spiraling gets a bit lost on the width reduction... anyway good work with my base :) and nice rework of the skull :)
Svetac

Post by Svetac »

Yes, loss of detail was inevitable sacrifice :roll: I wait for the Druid staff, so then we'll have full set of staffs :) coolness ;)

Entangle I have idea about this icon, but wanted to discuss it first before start doing it. Boots entangled by roots with green leafs on them. What say you guys? Any better ideas?

Note to the artists

I noticed that the shadows are not consistent in our works. I copied all icons we did so far, and will edit the shadows on all of them for the sake of consistency. I have one request though - can you post the weapons with transparent background. I will pick up them, put them on the background and apply shadow. It will be easier to do that, than edit them. I hope I'm not asking too much ;) Thank you.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Entangle and ensnare icons could be simple some kind of "leafy roots"...
I'll do them :-) thanks for the idea!!
Slainte

Post by Slainte »

Initial work on the druid's... I had not much time on my lunchtime... had a last minute work problem and lost about one of my free hours on it... :( anyway I post this as base reference to see if you like the initial idea...

Svetac

Post by Svetac »

fmunoz, don't you dare do them! The idea is mine, mine, my only... my... precious :) LOL j/k Go for it, I can focus on the pistol and the musqet instead.

Slainte, yes I like the start. I think that you've pretty done with it. IMHO adding small greenish touches here and there will make it look complete. I only think that the top part is a little bit too wide, but then again maybe it's just me.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

entangle

Post by fmunoz »

entangle on a transparent background.

Edit: added a background image just to put it in the wiki while svetac do the one with good shadow :-)
capitol

Post by capitol »

Slainte: nice staff, I disagree with svetac and feels like the top is fine. It looks as if you really can floor someone with it.
Slainte

Post by Slainte »

O.k. updated the staff.. now it is a bit more rough and knotty... like a wooden branch roughly shaped...

About the greens... I don't think they'll go well with this... it is a wooden rod... the greens would imply living wood... wich I don't think too suitable for a staff... anyway, any suggestions will be considered :P

Oh... also made a small rework of Svetac's mod on my darkstaff... cleaning up a bit the skull

Circon

Post by Circon »

Hmm... I was considering the entangle icon as an enlargement of the missile in-game. That one looks more like a young tree IMHO.

Why does a fireball have a shadow?
KK_r

Post by KK_r »

because there is less light under a fireball than right beside the fireball
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

Teaching myself the gimp, thought I'd give a go at some icons.
methinks

Post by methinks »

I would swap tehe icons and colours in icons. That is upkeep = arrow down and arrow is green ;) othwerwise good. Good enough ot be put in CVS, no need to work on that one anymore :)
-Adam