Saurian genders

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Imperios

Saurian genders

Post by Imperios » January 4th, 2019, 10:00 pm

When did the piece of lore that says saurian society is sex-segregated surface, and why hasn't that been taken into account in official campaigns?

If we go by the lore from the wiki, then the Saurian Skirmisher unit line is all female, while the Saurian Oracle line is all male. However, nowhere in the game is this brought up. Saurians do not even have female names.

I remember that at some point in the game's history, Inarix has been referred to as female in the Russian translation, but in its current version, (s)he's male. Shouldn't there be some consistency?

josteph
Developer

Re: Saurian genders

Post by josteph » January 4th, 2019, 11:03 pm

The canonical lore is the one in the game itself, in this case, the race description: https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/blob ... s.cfg#L251

In master, Saurian Skirmishers are female: https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/blob ... her.cfg#L6 This was changed recently and intentionally not backported to 1.14 to avoid OOS issues.

Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel » Yesterday, 2:30 am

Regarding the names, I guess saurians just don't have gender-dependent naming conventions - ie, all their names are unisex. Might be a touch strange given the cultural separation of genders, but I don't think it's worth changing it at this point.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Maintainer of Steelhive.

josteph
Developer

Post by josteph » Yesterday, 9:20 am

My guess is that no one got around to implementing separate name generators for male and female Saurians.

Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel » 25 minutes ago

Probably, but I don't think it's worth changing it at this point.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Maintainer of Steelhive.