[mainline]Balance - counting value of units.

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Hejnewar

[mainline]Balance - counting value of units.

Post by Hejnewar » October 6th, 2018, 10:14 am

Introduction

After quite some time of work, testing and discusing this topic I finaly decided to post it on forums. I have alread done all units and all of matchups but I'm constantly improving this project to make it more accurate.

Why did i even did it?

Just becouse i wanted and it was fun project. (And to gain experience with turn based strategy games).

How does it work?

Colours matter!

Acctualy im kinda curious how many people will understand my project and how bad I'm at explaning it.
Make sure that you do not repeat already asked questions!
*Longterm value - is not explaned becouse i want to check people knowledge of how this game works.

Specials
Marksman multiplier for this special ability is counted by taking value of marksman and subtracting average dodge value from it.
Poison damage were calculated using value from 1,5 turn's of it working on one unit.
Regeneration based on how much hp unit has and so howhard its to kill. More Effective hp = more turn's of regeneration = more value.

Explanations and FAQ
Dodge - for every single unit every terrain has movement cost and dodge value the less you pay, the higher defense it offers and the more often it occurs (in general- flat is the most common, forest and hills should have around the same ocurring rate etc.) the more often unit will occupy that terrain therefore its dodge value will matter more. Following this logic I was able to give value to dodge on certain terrain.

RES Type Mod (light red)- uses every single attack of every single unit from whole deafult, not just strongest attack of unit.

Most of things are explained on graphic. (I just hope that it's quality is good enough).

Q:Was this project tested at all or is it only math?
A:Yes, this projest was tested in game multiple times mostly in unit vs unit situations and it works very well in this kind of situations.

Q:How bad are you in explainig things?
A:'m very bad as well as in writing posts and articles and avoiding mistakes. :oops:

Hopes and dreams
I hope that my project will have some if any feedback and i dream about not being destroyed by others within seconds after posting it. I put quite some of my free time into it and results at this point are very promising. I hope my explanations are good enough and people wont have too much trobule in understanding me, for me it all seems easy but looking back I had trobule and spent days to just create some ideas that will be accurate and working. But over all I'm happy and gained ton of expirience in turn based strategy games balancing and counting values. My last dream i think is that my porject will be useful. However, I know how people working on this game approach this topic and especially now they are very busy with other stuff so i do not raise my hopes too high.

PS.
Unit values might change. Adding new factions (like dunesfolk) or changing formulas can have impact on unit value.

Edit: Updated picture
Vs Random

Goblin DPWholeTurn was decreased by using 0,78 multiplier because of its very low hp that sometimes prevents it from dealing even their first 3 attacks.

Win ratios can vary because leaders are not counted in here.
Last edited by Hejnewar on October 17th, 2018, 6:23 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Eagle_11

Re: [mainline]Balance - counting value of units.

Post by Eagle_11 » October 6th, 2018, 10:48 am

It claims opponents wouldnt prefer shooting orcs, which is plain wrong.

Hejnewar

Post by Hejnewar » October 6th, 2018, 12:35 pm

Could you explain this? Because I personally do not see this.

Ok, I would rather have melee unit to defend against orcs. In offensive I would rather have ranged unit.
DefensiveDPT asumes you are not the one who decides. Opponent does so and he will often but not always use the best attack. Most units have stronger melee attacks (and that is shown in blue tabel) so in defensive you will deal more damage when you are defending with mainly melee unit becouse you are rearly attacked by one orc, ranged units wont take as much damage when atacking orcs with ranged weapons in defensive (if any at all) but they have special modifier just for that.

Offensive DPT assumes that you want to actually kill orc as fast as possible, not tickle it with 6-1 ranged attack.

lojol

Post by lojol » October 14th, 2018, 1:30 pm

Hello, this data is certainly interesting but i would like to see it paried with some tournament reasults tho im not even sure if any exists.
Some of this data is certainly unexpected especialy undead why does thier reasult is so low? I think this is the only surprise for me.
Other than that i think what you did could be certainly useful for user eras, still i hope it will help balance this game, what could i say nothing is perfect and this can help bring this perfection closer

Hejnewar

Post by Hejnewar » October 14th, 2018, 3:27 pm

I think i found (with some help) what you would want to see. http://tour.wesnothlife.ru/stats.php

WR of UD do not realy surprises me. Lack of traits has its impact. Even if a bit weakened with undead trait and submerge ability.

I do not even think anyone here on forums belive that this works. :D Well noone ever asked me about eras, i dont think that people care about that to that extent.

Anyway thanks for warm words. :)