Making a browser version of wesnoth?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

profyverya
Posts: 49
Joined: June 18th, 2018, 8:14 am
Location: Russia

Re: Making a browser version of wesnoth?

Post by profyverya » July 25th, 2018, 5:55 am

Hello! I like your idea about making a browser version of Wesnoth. One time I even tried to do this myself. But as I see it is very exhausting.

KamovHelix
Posts: 5
Joined: July 30th, 2018, 4:03 pm

Re: Making a browser version of wesnoth?

Post by KamovHelix » July 30th, 2018, 6:19 pm

It sure is one hell of a hard task to port a pre-existing game to a browser version! I wouldn't play this version, since I prefer mobile apps or installed PC games, but I know that browser games have their public.

shevegen
Posts: 204
Joined: June 3rd, 2004, 4:35 pm

Re: Making a browser version of wesnoth?

Post by shevegen » August 8th, 2018, 9:45 pm

> It sure is one hell of a hard task to port a pre-existing game to a browser version!

I agree but - it should be possible.

For example, take the language called Dart by Google. I do not like Dart nor do I
like Google, but the idea may be to tap into its javascript-generation code and
end up with a browser-playable game.

Many assets should work fine in a browser; pictures (png files for example).

The dialogue options should also be simple to render into different targets,
e. g. classical desktop or browser.

So it should be doable in theory without being THAT impossible.

> I wouldn't play this version, since I prefer mobile apps or installed PC games,
> but I know that browser games have their public.

This is probably the bigger issue. I would not play it either, largely beacuse I
use a large desktop machine and don't really want to run more things in
the browser (I use the palemoon browser so who knows if it were to even
run).

But I also suggested some time ago that perhaps the wesnoth engine
could become more independent of wesnoth the game; then we could also
enable like old games, like the "Battle Isle" and similar turn-based strategy
games. A bit similar as to how scummvm is slowly becoming into a
host platform for (some type of) games.

Would be nice if wesnoth could also transition into that. But I understand
that this may take time and requires developers; and the primary target
evidently is the core wesnoth game.

User avatar
beetlenaut
Developer
Posts: 2255
Joined: December 8th, 2007, 3:21 am
Location: Washington State
Contact:

Re: Making a browser version of wesnoth?

Post by beetlenaut » August 9th, 2018, 6:15 pm

shevegen wrote:
August 8th, 2018, 9:45 pm
perhaps the wesnoth engine
could become more independent of wesnoth the game;
Are you asking for something different than what cores do?
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide

Can-ned_Food
Posts: 206
Joined: December 17th, 2015, 10:27 pm

Re: Making a browser version of wesnoth?

Post by Can-ned_Food » August 22nd, 2018, 4:59 am

The short of it is this: I think this project would work best as a wholely new MMOG which uses BFW assets.

In that situation, the browser applet is simply a client connecting to an ongoing server instance. It doesn't even need launched from a browser if you have the applet downloaded and a separate Java machine to run it, but using your browser capability would facilitate modules outside the client proper: combining lists of friends, chat channels, and even status reports.

Especially if you are building it in JavaScript rather than Java.
dagnelies wrote:
June 2nd, 2018, 7:51 am
it's more to "feel the pulse" of what you think of it as a community.
Here's another topic which discussed MMO scenarios, albeit in the same engine used now: Massive Online Multiplayer Senarios
As for me, well … I'm always interested to see an MMOG in familiar territory. However, I've never been to shy to say that I have no fondness for the Wesnoth world as a whole. I'm working on a campaign, called Unlikely Companions, which takes place about 400 prior to the establishment of the Wesnothian kingdom and in a reprised version of the Irdyan world. I'd be interested in helping with that project, but less so — or not much at all — in one which takes place in a world strictly abiding to the Wesnoth.org canon.

caoraivoso3
Posts: 66
Joined: July 2nd, 2012, 9:22 am

Re: Making a browser version of wesnoth?

Post by caoraivoso3 » October 9th, 2018, 6:53 pm

you want to port into javascript and play it local? or you want to have the server make the processing and the broswer only displays the output of the server?
the first one is good for connection problems but it will make the user download a huge amount of data (you can cache it but it will be heavy and if you clean your cache you lose it all), it will also be heavy on cpu and for old pcs it will be tough.

the server doing the work will require a heavier use of network at the medium run but it will be lighter on the pc. i think this is the only approch that will give any advantage.

i think wesnoth was already been ported to android and ios but i do not know the quality of the port, soo for mobile players it will bot give much too.

RolfDhew
Posts: 46
Joined: March 4th, 2018, 11:41 am

Re: Making a browser version of wesnoth?

Post by RolfDhew » October 10th, 2018, 2:27 pm

caoraivoso3 wrote:
October 9th, 2018, 6:53 pm
you want to port into javascript and play it local? or you want to have the server make the processing and the broswer only displays the output of the server?
the first one is good for connection problems but it will make the user download a huge amount of data (you can cache it but it will be heavy and if you clean your cache you lose it all), it will also be heavy on cpu and for old pcs it will be tough.

the server doing the work will require a heavier use of network at the medium run but it will be lighter on the pc. i think this is the only approch that will give any advantage.

i think wesnoth was already been ported to android and ios but i do not know the quality of the port, soo for mobile players it will bot give much too.
The Android port is exactly like the desktop version (with campaigns, addons, campaigns, multiplayer and singleplayer) , I believe that the ios one is the same.

Post Reply