World of Wesnoth (MMORPG add-on project)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Heindal

Re: World of Wesnoth (MMORPG add-on project)

Post by Heindal »

*sigh* I will see what I can do.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

I'm proud to say, that I finished the final fight scenario. It became a really nice little scenario and I've just finished the testing. I even added some extra, such as a Final scenario to end the storyline for the alpha and embedded a simple version of the enemy spellcasting directly into the scenario (so i did no changes to global except for the questlog).

So the cult leader will now be able to cast spells, based on a randomevent. He can summon skeletons, slow down one or all players, poison and harm one player and throwing a fireball. There is by theory 30% chance for him to cast a random spell at the beginning of any turn. I wanted to reduce it to his own turn, but it does not seem to work on 10.0 - I proably made a mistake - however it is fun to have at least one enemy who can outtake a whole player group alone :-).

I used the images of the shadowmage from extended era for the boss. We might change that.

However there are still some issues - maybe for the next version:

- I've jumped to the level and after that it shows an error message "[player] is not supported in scenario" the fog however did not work
- I've added a Red Mage as a Summoner of the Cult - however when he uses his fireball attack, it behaves like a fireball attack of a hero --> it looks super, but however he throws two fireballs than
- Glamdrol hadn't type=hero - I've changed that
- Portraits of heroes would be fine :-).
- the allied units shouldn't drop items (you've proably seen that when the barricades are destroyed)
- I will need to add explosions and attacks to the glamdrol warmachines, so far they are just standing around, without doing anything, except for defence
- I've noticed that using "side=1,2,3,4,5" or "side=6" doesn't really takes a random unit, it just dices out a unit and if there is more than one message this one unit is holding a monologue. Maybe its just my depreacted version of wesnoth :/.
- I did some changes to the glamdrol wildlife - I'd say its enough to be challenging, a constant summon might not be necessary. By the way, I wrote a macro for random summons for five fates, if you are still interested in it, I can post it.
Attachments
World_of_Wesnoth_august.zip
(3.5 MiB) Downloaded 194 times
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I have altered the way enemies are spawned, they are much less numerous in the first scenario now (where they were harder than pretty much all enemies in following scenarios). I have replaced the macro by a new WML tag.

Regarding the notes:
I've jumped to the level and after that it shows an error message "[player] is not supported in scenario" the fog however did not work
Maybe you've skipped it incorrectly, continuing from one scenario into another normally works. I have found a possible cause why the heroes were not recalled, and tried to fix it.
I've added a Red Mage as a Summoner of the Cult - however when he uses his fireball attack, it behaves like a fireball attack of a hero --> it looks super, but however he throws two fireballs than
It might need a new unit that will not have a fireball animation on his own.
Portraits of heroes would be fine .
I might add this later. I suggest to give the player a list of various mainline portraits to choose from.
I've noticed that using "side=1,2,3,4,5" or "side=6" doesn't really takes a random unit, it just dices out a unit and if there is more than one message this one unit is holding a monologue. Maybe its just my depreacted version of wesnoth :/.
Fixed.
I did some changes to the glamdrol wildlife - I'd say its enough to be challenging, a constant summon might not be necessary.
Replaced it by constant summon. This quest was terribly boring, you had to wander the forest almost without any enemies to fight, looking for flowers, and then having to pass 40 hexes to get to the other side to find the rest of flowers. I have added more flowers (near the path between the two patches of forest) and made the wolves get spawned periodically.
I wrote a macro for random summons for five fates, if you are still interested in it, I can post it.
:augh: What did I say about macros? They are a waste of RAM space, especially in multiplayer. I have created WML tags that do it.

Here it is. Balance might not be ideal, feel free to change it (assuming that although you'll be busy in your new work in September, this Sunday does not count). Otherwise I'll upload it as first published alpha version.
Attachments
World_of_Wesnoth.zip
(3.49 MiB) Downloaded 161 times
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Well, feel free to upload it as an alpha, so I will not change your version. I will give it a shot (playing) when I have time and post my reports than.
The idea with the portraits is fine, we might even get some help by artist to draw new ones.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I gave you a day to have a look at it anyway. Now, I uploded it, after making some small changes:
- it is no longer possible to start from a later scenario in the multiplayer lobby, and removed the (5p) string from all scenario names
- removed the the questlog and moved its contents into objectives
- made the monster creation functions slightly more effective and documented them
- the add-on is no longer the first on the campaigns list

I have tested that character importing works in networked multiplayer. I named the version 0.1.0 and gave it a nice image of an elf with an aura standing on a treasure (that actually works on the server).
Oezi

Post by Oezi »

Great Work!!
It really makes fun to play now :)
I've played the first scenario and I noticed a few things: the fifth player (gray) has an income, after finding the crop of the farmer they didnt say what mission 5 is (i had to guess it myself by stepping on everything in the village).
I had one lua error when my Fencer casted the flaming sword on 2 people and ran out of mana, the second enhancement cancelled automatically but one enhancement was stilll active (as he has 1 mana regen). However having 0 mana there was an lua error each turn until i deactivated the enhacement for 1 turn to get 1 mana, then everything was as previous (the enhancement was still working having 0 mana but there was still an error).
Btw, the mission5 was finding those 5 villagers, but after i found them, there appeared 6! new people in the tavern.
Ah and the first mission is after a time kinda like go there kill all, teleport back and again go to vilage go to a certain place etc etc. And the village teleport place is "far" away from the tavern so its each time going for 4 turns to the teleport.. maybe after mission 4 f.e. making a village teleport inside the tavern?

I loved the scarecrows, as they were a little more difficult to kill without spells
Attachments
Screen of lua error
Screen of lua error
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thank you for your nice feedback. I will check the mission number 5 issue, you've mentioned. Usually you should be able to check your Questlog, but for some reason it seems to be deactivated :(, I'm not glad about that either. Yeah, the scarecrows were made for being a challenge ;-). In first place I wanted to create a single boss unit, but decided to make several scarecrow units. I think you will love the final fight ^^, with the enemy spell caster.
Oezi

Post by Oezi »

the last enemy of this scenario didnt cast even 1 spell and was easy to defeat :/
I mean my team was very strong, i had no death until the world map fights were I accidentally killed the bandit leader first and skipped a part of the story...
And for killing the orc leader i didnt get the 200 gold/head only about 50-75 gold.
However the story is good, but i think the bandit leader should be neutral at the beginning and the orcs should start recruit when i reach the kings castle.
The difficulty is easy if you play alone for 5 people, but i think it will be far more difficult to play with other as many people dont cooperate/do silly stuff :)
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

I'm talking about the cult leader, he can cast 5 spells and with 300 hp he should be able to take some punishment. The boss of the first scenario might be easy to be killed, but he can recruit some minons to stop you. Maybe he will be able to cast one or two minor spells. On the worldmap I personally think that you can take the shortcut, if you know you have to get to glamdrol. The orc mission is optional.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Sorry for the delay, I am experiencing terrible internet issues, I had to go to library to get here.
Oezi wrote:the fifth player (gray) has an income
Oops.
Oezi wrote:However having 0 mana there was an lua error each turn until i deactivated the enhacement for 1 turn to get 1 mana, then everything was as previous (the enhancement was still working having 0 mana but there was still an error).
I can suppress the error message, but I don't know how much of the problem it would solve (error messages cause problems themselves, because it skips the rest of event). Can you please send/upload a save from the time when his mana was reaching 0?
Heindal wrote:Usually you should be able to check your Questlog, but for some reason it seems to be deactivated , I'm not glad about that either.
I have deactivated it. The questlog was too annoying to read. I have rewritten the macros' definitions and placed it a bit elsewhere, and now you can see the questlog by pressing Ctrl+J, the known button combination to get objectives. Objectives fill the role of questlog now.
Oezi

Post by Oezi »

I dont know where to go get the save file, however I got the same lua error when I had a unit summond but my main unit died.
I know that feel, my internet is terrible as well...
And About the questlog, you should mention that one can see it in the objective window
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

It is in the userdata directory, in a subdirectory named saves. Summons causing trouble when summoner dies are expectable, because I can't remember myself thinking of the possibility that summoner will not be found. Summons should die if the summoner cannot be found.

My internet connection is fine now, so I should not have issues like this again (because now I know how to fix this kind of problem).

I haven't mentioned that I removed the journal/questlog and made the objectives do its work, because I considered it automatic to look for scenario information in objectives and not in some right-click menu.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

First of all congrats to this very good add-on. The character choosing window is wuite impressive and well done. But i think i found a bug and suggestions.

1.If you decide to import a character, and have none then the character creation window open normally. But after choosing your character normally the window opens again, making you choose if you want to import a character. Thinking, that i would choose my next hero, (I'm playing a local game) i choose again and by accident i click on import character and it everything begins from new.

2. All characters seem to get elven swords as weapons. It would be nice, if humans would got human swords, orc got orcish swords, rogues got daggers, mages got staffs... etc.

3. The fireball spell inflicts damage to all units around the target, not only enemys, although the description says it deals damage to enemys. Either change the description or the effect.
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

1. Could be done. But there is little reason to create a character later, because he would be too weak.
2. I think that later, some animations will be added. Each weapon would need like 20 frames for each animation, so every extra weapon appearance would require way too much work. I've chosen the elvish sword because it looks the best. What you might not have noticed, each unit's appearance is derived from the items it's carrying, so if you get a mace, unit spire carries a mace, if you get a rapier, unit sprite carries a rapier, same with dagger, axes, heavy/light/medium armours, shields, et cetera (they are also coloured if enchanted).
3. Yeah, that's a bug, probably a wrong filter.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

1. Could be done. But there is little reason to create a character later, because he would be too weak.
i think you didn't understand me right. It's not a suggestion. I think it is a bug. completly at the beginning. If you choose to import a character, and you have none a window opens, and tells you that you need to create one. you do this. then a window opens again showing you the stats of your unit. Then you click on accept, but instead of moving to the next player, your player needs to choose another character.

also fireball spell lvl. 2 and lvl 3 does not seem to hurt anybody around the target.
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl