Archaic Era (BfW 1.18)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

Archaic Era (BfW 1.18)

Post by doofus-01 »

------------------------------------
NOTE: While Ageless Era does use units from Archaic Era, the two eras are being developed independently. They are not the same and do not necessarily have the same balance, bugs, whatever.
ANOTHER NOTE: (2023-7-23) This has been uploaded to BfW 1.17, it is no longer maintained for earlier versions.
(2024-02-25) Now it is on BfW 1.18. Earlier versions (1.17 and earlier) are no longer maintained
YET ANOTHER NOTE: This is now on Github: https://github.com/doofus-01/wesnoth-Archaic_Era .

Hi,

This topic is for Archaic Era questions & bug reports. This era is made of the factions that were in Bad Moon Rising & Trinity, but I've split it off. This era was/is built from within a campaign, so there is a theme & story to it all, but the balancing was done within a single player campaign, so it doesn't work as well as a regular era yet.
  • Primeval demonish humans - Arrogant and physically superior, these guys are overpowered because they were the bad guys in the campaign Bad Moon Rising (BMR).
  • Ukian regular humans - These were the player's faction in most of the campaign (BMR), they should be a bit better balanced, but maybe not against every other faction. These were the first of these factions made, so they have the most animations and the crappiest graphics (hopefully the graphics aren't that bad anymore). They are good in snow terrain.
    EDIT (2015-11-14): There is a town in California, USA, named Ukiah. This is a coincidence, don't read anything into it. Really.
  • South-Seas regular humans - These are more recent, so the animations are fewer. They are just a human faction, so they should not be too difficult to balance. They have water mobility, that's their thing.
  • Khthon - These and the two below have a common history (fantasy-land history, not revision history), and while that has no effect on balance, it does have effect on possible units they can have. I mention that because they are not totally finished as of v. 0.9.11. The basic theme of this faction is that they are sort of a puppet-master disease. So no Khthon Fighters or anything like that, unless it is an infected fighter from another faction.
  • Phantom - Spirit faction, not supposed to have any relation to medieval Europe. Probably not balanced, under construction.
  • Despair - Spirit faction, supposed to have some relation to Loyalists because many are dead Loyalists. They were originally part of Phantoms, but they looked kind of silly together. Probably not balanced, under construction.
  • Menagerie - Amalgam of units from Trinity campaign: aliens, mechs, and humans from a somewhat furture society. Probably not balanced, under construction.
UPDATE: the other factions are now phantoms, south-seas, and spirits.
UPDATE2: tried to make the description less vague.
UPDATE3 (20141220): updated descriptions a bit, and I am adding an image so that folks have a better idea what they are getting into.
UPDATE4:(20160626): This is available for BfW 1.12, but is only being actively developed for BfW 1.13/1.14. The image in this post is now obsolete, mostly.
UPDATE5:(20170102): I'm trying to get all units to have a portrait. Some of the current portraits are kind of old and not very good, but they'll do for now. This project will help me get the factions finalized; Primeval Velite line needs rethinking and the Menagerie faction needs to be pinned down. Updates on this particular effort will be visible on the GitHub repository, but next update to server will probably only be when faction rosters are final.
Attachments
a bit outdated
a bit outdated
forum-shot.png (207.24 KiB) Viewed 51567 times
Last edited by doofus-01 on January 2nd, 2017, 4:12 am, edited 42 times in total.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
wesfreak

Re: Archaic Era (0.9.0)

Post by wesfreak »

Do you mean a seperate era, or the one that comes with bad moon rising? I searched for it on the add on list and found nothing with this name. (i've got 1.6)
What do you plan to do about balancing? Unless you already changed some of the factions. ukians will be hopeless against phantoms when they arrive because they have no fire or arcane at lvl 1, and the kthon have that arctic wolf that's as fast as a scout but does fighter damage, to name a few problems.
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Archaic Era 0.9.0 (for BfW 1.8)

Post by doofus-01 »

wesfreak wrote:I searched for it on the add on list and found nothing with this name. (i've got 1.6)
It's for 1.8. I guess I should have put that in the thread title.

It's got balance issues, but I'm not going to worry about that too much because then I'd break whatever balance the campaign has. And I don't play multiplayer, so I'm not the best judge of what's balanced anyway.

I guess I could make a file with all of the units re-defined for MP with [base_unit], and then just change the movement & attacks. That would probably make it easier to edit & balance, if anyone else wanted to help with that. I'll put it in the next release, probably later today or tomorrow.

EDIT: And now 0.9.0.a has gone to the 1.8 server. South-Seas faction is now use-able, though it could probably stand to have another unit line. I also got the MP balancing file done for the Khthon, it is

Code: Select all

Archaic_Era/units/khthon_MP.cfg
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Archaic Era 0.9.0.a (for BfW 1.8)

Post by doofus-01 »

0.9.0.b went to the server.
- a unit line was added to South-Seas faction
- image paths for phantoms were corrected. That fix will only show up in Bad Moon Rising campaign because the phantoms are not playable in the MP era. A few more units have also been added, but they are not finished. Phantoms are still a broken faction.
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Archaic Era 0.9.0.b (for BfW 1.8)

Post by doofus-01 »

0.9.0.c has been uploaded. The phantoms faction should now be playable. Not balanced or animated, but first things first.
StDrake

Re: Archaic Era 0.9.0.c (for BfW 1.8)

Post by StDrake »

tomb sentinel buggily tries to advance to wing master instead of its own lev3, that's same in Trinity obviously
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Archaic Era 0.9.0.c (for BfW 1.8)

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks. There are a few other things in need of fixing as well. I'll update when I can.

EDIT:0.9.0.d went to the server. It contains some improvements to the phantom faction, everything else is untouched.
mnewton1

Re: Archaic Era 0.9.0.d (for BfW 1.8)

Post by mnewton1 »

Why don't you use one of the dart attack icons made by Mirion147 for the Sea Rover and Sea Wolf.
Blowdart2.png
Blowdart2.png (3.47 KiB) Viewed 61852 times
Blowdart1.png
Blowdart1.png (3.46 KiB) Viewed 61852 times
Edit: Also the Phantom SOldiers advancement for another ranged strike does not work.
Creator of Ageless Era
Check out Frogatto & Friends, it's made by the same people who created The Battle for Wesnoth!
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Archaic Era 0.9.0.d (for BfW 1.8)

Post by doofus-01 »

mnewton1 wrote:Why don't you use one of the dart attack icons made by Mirion147 for the Sea Rover and Sea Wolf.
Sure, that could work.
mnewton1 wrote:Also the Phantom SOldiers advancement for another ranged strike does not work.
I see the problem, and it will be fixed next time. Thanks.

------------
EDIT: 0.9.0.e went to the server. Khthon got a bit of a lift, but probably some bugs too. Phantoms and South-Seas are not changed much, I hope to make some progress on them next time.
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Archaic Era 0.9.0.e (for BfW 1.8)

Post by doofus-01 »

0.9.0.g just went to the server. Some more units have been added to phantom faction. That faction is just about done. The era now has all of the units it's going to have, pretty much. Now it's a matter of getting some balance and minimal animations done.
mnewton1

Re: Archaic Era 0.9.0.g (for BfW 1.8)

Post by mnewton1 »

Would you say the Phantoms are ready to be added to my era?
Creator of Ageless Era
Check out Frogatto & Friends, it's made by the same people who created The Battle for Wesnoth!
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Archaic Era 0.9.0.g (for BfW 1.8)

Post by doofus-01 »

Sure, go ahead.
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Archaic Era 0.9.1 (for BfW 1.8)

Post by doofus-01 »

0.9.1 went to the server. It is a minor revision, the phantom soldiers should now level to phantom officers, like they were supposed to.
EDIT:0.9.2 went to the server. The edits are so small, it is not worth bumping this.
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Archaic Era 0.9.2 (for BfW 1.8)

Post by doofus-01 »

0.9.3 went to the server. Some phantom stats were modified, and a couple of animation glitches fixed. The other factions weren't touched.
Mabuse

Re: Archaic Era 0.9.3 (for BfW 1.8)

Post by Mabuse »

going to install 1.8 to see this one :)
The best bet is your own, good Taste.