Scenario Review: THoT 12 - The Underlevels

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Hammer of Thursagan.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

octalot
Code Contributor

Re: Scenario Review: THoT 12 - The Underlevels

Post by octalot » April 1st, 2018, 5:09 pm

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.13.12 Normal

(2-5)

I've played this before (probably on 1.10), and forewarned is, in this case, forearmed with 3 white mages. I also knew about the chests of gold near the entrance which gave me 3 extra recalls. I expected flying nightstalkers, and surrounded chasms with L3s; I expected far more of them than actually happen, I was cautious of every chasm in the south and in the sneak-passage.

With that, difficulty 3, but with a couple of times where I pushed forward too quickly and was saved by the RNG or lost an L3. One mistake where I had to reload.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

I decided to wait outside the doors of the south-west lich (ai7), wearing down his forces in safety, but this took a long time. I think giving him less gold to recruit would be good, and I think that's what was expected. On turns 1, 3, and 5 he captures the villages around him, and then gets a few recruits who take the villages around ai8, giving ai7 an income of around 18 per turn from turn 20 onwards. He then fills his castle with recruits and stops because they're not moving off the castle, but still had +11 when he stopped recruiting. When I opened the chamber (turn 78), he had about 750 gold to churn in to recruits. Maybe give him a set amount when the doors on 21,54 are opened?

There was a spectre in the spider room (it's a bug), which made me more defensive.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

I got impatient and pushed forward leaving Angarthing where an ulf could get him. Went back a turn and kept to the slower tactics that were working.

(bugs)

I'll open a PR for these before 1.13.14, once I've played through it with the changes. There was a graphics-only fix that went in just before 1.13.13, these are bugs still in 1.13.13.

There's an "x=" test that should an "x,y=" test, the eastern sneak-door opened much earlier in the level, allowing the undead from the south-east lich to go north to the spider room. The flying nightstalkers that are supposed to ambush the player's forces in the south end up joining the spider fight, while slower-moving undead are fought one-by-one in the sneak passage.

There's an "x=" test that should an "x,y=" test, taking the chest south of the start (on 15,38) hid the door and chest that are north of the start.
Attachments
DHvT-In den Tiefen des Berges Aufzeichnung abspielen.gz
(153.14 KiB) Downloaded 33 times