to work with a multi-letter terrain system  and the final proposal .
This system is almost ready now and will be merged in the trunk soon and
thus be in the forthcoming Wesnoth 1.3.1 release. This system is not fully
compatible so this thread tries to mention all problems and the way to convert
In Wesnoth 1.3.3 the compatibility for the old format will be removed and this
will render not converted content (including savegames) unusable. Since the
backwards compability layer will be removed in the near future bugs in it
won't be fixed unless they're grave.
 The changelog of the terrain branch can be found here, and is splitted from
the changes in trunk it contains some things not listed under  since they
were happening in the process.
This post will be updated when there's more news about the exact merge data
or about the branch in general. Note the wiki has information about the new
things but not all content is converted yet.
Here the list with info, put in a code block to keep the formatting proper
- Code: Select all
* Known incompatibilities
* UMC with custom terrains
* old format terrain-graphics.cfg
* UMC Random maps, random cave maps need to change the terrain stuff used but
if no terrain stuff used they are compatible.
* order of terrains in order is completely different, but in the near future the
list of terrains will be split in several pages to keep the list a little bit
smaller. The list of terrains will hopefully get much longer in the near future
so then the current list will be unmanageable. The system to split the terrains
is available, but not every thing is splitted yet.
* The list of explored terrains, used in the help, is not converted so explore
all terrains again and it's fixed ;)
* MP campaigns, single scenarios are tested
* STARTING_VILLAGES with old terrain letters (if broken it's unsupported)
* How to convert your old stuff
* custom terrains   
* add a string to the terrain
* update the aliases of the terrain
* update the terrain graphics
* add the your custom terrain temporary to the general terrain.cfg (in
order to convert maps properly)
* maps(both in a scenario or stand-alone file) 
* don't use the editor, it does the conversion but doesn't know how to
convert the keep the right way so if you use the editor you've do it
* use upconvert in the tools directory, usage described later (the right
tool used to be map_convert.pl, but upconvert does its job and more).
* scenarios (excluding maps) 
* find all occurrences of [terrain] and "terrain=" and convert them to the new letter
terrain.cfg has the translation table at the beginning of the file
* find all occurrences of [terrain_mask] copy them in a separate file and
convert that file, afterwards copy the data back. Updating of the rule
tags is the same as the [terrain] part.
* upconvert will convert scenario files, unless you have custom terrains
in which case you'll hav e to hand-hack.
* factions 
* update the "terrain_liked" key to a comma separated terrain list
the engine uses 1 comma to determine whether the list is the old
or the new format.
* abilities 
* [filter_location] must be converted to the new format of comma separated
letters. Since the old format also uses a comma separated list the engine
can't determine the format, so an extra key "terrain_format=1" is required.
* usage of upconvert
* run it on a directory containing maps and .cfgs.
* the converter makes a backup of any files it changes
* upconvert tries to determine the kind of keep required by the
surrounding terrain, and falls back to the human keep
 http://svn.gna.org/svn/wesnoth/branches ... /changelog
* added the terrain= to the scenario conversion.
* changed the instructions to describe upconvert