The army reaches Elensefar...

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

My first time through, I had *no* advanced units.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

I tried to play on older versions of Wesnoth, like the 0.4.5, and it seems it was much more difficult to level up with those versions (and units were incredibely expensive! 28 for an elvish archer!).
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
darksteel

Post by darksteel »

lol. Can you give me a link to 4.5. i wanna see it. :)
The darksteel eye

For a wesnoth strategie guide click here----------> http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7109
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

http://wesnoth.whitevine.net/files/wesn ... .5-win.exe

(no linux version availabe on that website)
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Even more amusing are the graphics on the "ancient screenshots". They're at the bottom. :P
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Wow. From older to 7.x it looks and feels so tabletop-ish.

What are those "healthy" tags under the names?.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Grr. It is 0.7.x, not 7.x! There is a HUGE difference! ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
baruk

Re: The army reaches Elensefar...

Post by baruk »

Ankka wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote: And, I suppose Delffy got one AMLA, since he starts with 500 exp and 80 is required for AMLA to happen..
What does AMLA stand for? Abbreviating stuff makes it much harder to understand what you are going on about.

No problem, I found it with a search: After Max Level Advancement. Thats a really obscure thing to be abbreviating. People should take a couple of seconds and type the whole thing out.
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

One thing that confused me is that some levels are a LOT easier if you have advanced units. And to get advanced units faster, normal level is important.

Then again there seem to be some levels which are EXTREMELY hard even on easy (or normal).

Its a bit strange, because there are really scenarios where normal is easier than easy, since you have more, and many of them, advanced units. :)

There is this level where you are in a cave, and level 2 undead units come from the north (there are tentacles in the middle).
This was really a LOT easier when i played it again, i had about 4 of those white mages (either level 2 or 3). Was a huge difference.

Btw i dont complain, i just point at it without a good or bad opinion. (Well i like normal more than easy nowadays though. I am still not sure about hard, hard seems to be easy sometimes, and extremely unfair in other situations...)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

baruk wrote:
Ankka wrote:And, I suppose Delffy got one AMLA, since he starts with 500 exp and 80 is required for AMLA to happen..
What does AMLA stand for? Abbreviating stuff makes it much harder to understand what you are going on about.

No problem, I found it with a search: After Max Level Advancement. Thats a really obscure thing to be abbreviating. People should take a couple of seconds and type the whole thing out.
And, uh, that's a really dumb thing to (semi-)resurrect a thread about... plus, although it is obscure to people who are not regular forum-goers, it is well known to people who are, it is probably used in a large percentage of posts, and having it acronymized actually makes it easier to read, once you know what it means. ;)

So, uh, why were you resurrecting this thread in the first place?
The World of Orbivm
unsung

Post by unsung »

now THAT is the question that will NEVER be answered.

similar to "Whhat were you thinking?!" but we know wy thats never answered don't we?

(if the answer is no, you are incapable of thought, and you must get asked that question a lot.)
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

For My One at Elensfar:

Konrad (level 2)
1 Grand Knight
2 Elvish Champion
1 Elvish Captain
1 Knight
2 Merman Warriors
1 Elvish Sharpshooter
2 Elvish Avenger
1 Elvish Ranger

:D
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
baruk

Post by baruk »

turin wrote:
baruk wrote: What does AMLA stand for? Abbreviating stuff makes it much harder to understand what you are going on about.

And, uh, that's a really dumb thing to (semi-)resurrect a thread about... plus, although it is obscure to people who are not regular forum-goers, it is well known to people who are, it is probably used in a large percentage of posts, and having it acronymized actually makes it easier to read, once you know what it means. ;)

So, uh, why were you resurrecting this thread in the first place?
On the one hand 10 days without a post is hardly a long time based on the activity of these threads, you might get half a dozen new posts on a good day, nothing to get excited about.

Acronyms should only be used if the full version of the term has already been used in the thread, for example like this: After Max Level Advancement (AMLA). If people just jump into a new thread, toting their fancy, obscure new acronym without so much as a by your leave, they shouldn't be surprised if they get some blank looks.

I happen to think that forums should be welcoming for newcomers, not an acronym infested nightmare, suitable only for those denizens able to keep up with the latest gibberish.

I absolutely REJECT the notion that obscure acronyms can in any way make a post easier to read, even for the initiated. I think you are mistaking "easier to read" with "faster to type".

I may open a "name and shame" thread in the general section for the particularly bad perpetrators (Elvish Pillager made a horrible one, anyone able to guess what "worship CTK" might mean?).

In summary, CHANGE your ways and DROP the obscure acronyms! Its IMPORTANT!

This has been a public service anouncement.

Thankyou.

And thinking about it, After Max Level Advancement doesn't even make any frikkin' sense in the first place. How is it possible to "advance" beyond the max level? As soon as advancement beyond the previous highest level is made possible, is stops being the "Max" level by definition!
scott

Post by scott »

I see your logic. We reject 1337 and all junior versions of it, yet we have our own version of it here!

Then again, any specialized field has its own jargon, of which acronyms are an acceptable part. If you were an aspiring future-doctor, would you get mad if you went to a doctor party and they were using a bunch of doctor-talk in conversation?

About part 2, be charitable. If AMLA did not violate the logic of not advancing past the max level, it wouldn't need a special term to describe it. It's advancement that does not result in a higher level number. Sub-max level advancement is just known as 'advancement', but once you're at max level, you do not experience 'advancement' as it was formerly known, you experience a different type of advancement, termed AMLA.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

We need a "things you should read before registering" large and big in the front forums to help everyone adapt better to the community.

This would be a way to make someone fit easier if he/she didn't do the common protocolar lurking before registering.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004