Wesnoth title logo.

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:? :cry: In a number of ways, I feel awful about posting this, simply because Woodwizzle has been such a nice guy around these parts, and has obviously been working rather hard on his logo.

I really should have spoken up earlier, but I didn't expect the text on his version to start looking so professional all of a sudden.

This was the image I had been working on before; the problem was that the shield in the old one was a copywritten image (something I snagged to do a proof-of-concept). At least in theory - it was a picture from an online store of a medieval replica.

The image is now (mostly) clear of copyright - the only issue now is the fonts. Turns out that the two fonts that I used for "Battle for wesnoth" are commecial, not freeware fonts - Glendower on the caps, and goodfellow on the lower case letters. Argh.

so, resolving this is something that you and I can collaborate on, my friend :)

If you, woodwizzle, can provide a high-res/vector version of your fonts replacing my "Battle for Wesnoth", then we are in business. Though I'd suggest mimicing what I've done already - "wesnoth blue" letters surrounded by gold trim; solid gold letters might work fine as well.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:| I should note - the special thing to do with the text, that I did, is to carefully adjust the character widths and spacing such that "Battle" and "Wesnoth" take up roughly the same width on the screen, making the logo symmetrical. The only letter not to mess with is O - it must stay round, or it breaks the illusion of the letters not having been messed with.

Good luck - as soon as you can get me that text, I'd say we have a new logo. :)
Last edited by Jetrel on September 5th, 2005, 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XJaPaN

Post by XJaPaN »

WAOH o_O !!
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

No matter how cool those new versions currently look like, I still think the one now used is a lot more unique.

Those ones have a lot more commercial mass-product feel to them in some ways, like in Warcraft. Especially Woodwizzle's shield immidiately brings warcraft into my mind.

Of course it all depends on what you aim for, but the current style of the letters is just so awesome. Of course they could be recolored to match that set of Jetryl's, but still, the shape is what makes them awesome, not only the color.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Ankka wrote: Of course it all depends on what you aim for, but the current style of the letters is just so awesome. Of course they could be recolored to match that set of Jetryl's, but still, the shape is what makes them awesome, not only the color.
I would also like to see the current shapes with jetryls coloring.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Jetryl wrote:Image
Awesome!(at least in my opine)
telex4

Post by telex4 »

Jetryl wrote: "wesnoth blue" letters surrounded by gold trim; solid gold letters might work fine as well.
A vote for the blue+gold combo, the pure gold font in Woodwizzle's versions look really unprofessional to me. Solid gold is a hard look to achieve and tends to look cheap.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I think Jetryl's version is pretty cool. its unfortunate we can't use those fonts... Jetryl, can you post the image itself?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Shiny. Nice color combo.

So basically Woodwizzle font should be replaced on that, while you go on your merry way to end your core duties.

We need a "Beat Jetryl's Background" contest*.

I think a custom title should be enough prize in this forum.

*Jetryl may or may not present any background on this contest
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
pacho

Post by pacho »

Another buttons?

I think that the current buttons are a bit bad.

It´s only an opinion :)

Thanks a lot
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

pacho wrote:Another buttons?

It´s only an opinion :)

Thanks a lot
But they fit Jetryl's logo and background well (IMO)
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I think that the current buttons are some of the best I've seen in any game of this type. They would also be quite odious to replace; much moreso than a logo; however, we do openly welcome new themes, and they would give certain campaigns a very nice flavor.

Anyways, the whole point of this job is to get rid of the current letterforms; as it turns out, they were not made by Francisco, rather; they were the work of a one-shot contributor who made them and left. I really want to see them go, and Woodwizzle's work looks to me like a great replacement candidate.

Turin: ask, and ye shall recieve. I have higher-res versions, though after they reach twice this size, they begin to show the artifacts of being a raster image.
pacho

Post by pacho »

I like this shield

It´s great :)
Disto

Post by Disto »

I would say maybe give them a Gold border to match the logo.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Jetryl wrote:

I think that the current buttons are some of the best I've seen in any game of this type. They would also be quite odious to replace; much moreso than a logo; however, we do openly welcome new themes, and they would give certain campaigns a very nice flavor.
While I think the buttons are excellent, I think it would be nice to have something special on the title screen, if possible, instead of the 'standard' buttons. This would make the title screen more exciting.

For instance, an addition we could have, rather than a replacement, is to have a picture that appears on the left side of the screen when each button is moused over. For instance, when the user mouses over the 'Campaign' button, a picture of a king on a horse leading his troops, apparently on a campaign, could appear. When the user mouses over 'Language', a picture of someone looking at a stone with writing in different languages on it could appear. And so forth...

This of course just being an idea, in case anyone feels inspired.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming