Wesnoth title logo.

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
telex4

Post by telex4 »

Cuyo Quiz wrote:Given all the examples that i'ce seen done with Inkscape, i'll take it is somewhat hardto give a good metalic feel to something, but that would be something very welcome in the steel rim. With that, i think we could have a good logo hich would fit better in any background, since it has the shield as its own semi-background.
It would make sense to get the basic shapes and colours done in Inkscape, and then export it to a PNG (possible a few different PNGs to have layers) and import those into The GIMP. Then you are much better placed to do things like a good metallic feel on the rim, more subtle and less cartoony shading, etc.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

telex4 wrote:
Cuyo Quiz wrote:Given all the examples that i'ce seen done with Inkscape, i'll take it is somewhat hardto give a good metalic feel to something, but that would be something very welcome in the steel rim. With that, i think we could have a good logo hich would fit better in any background, since it has the shield as its own semi-background.
It would make sense to get the basic shapes and colours done in Inkscape, and then export it to a PNG (possible a few different PNGs to have layers) and import those into The GIMP. Then you are much better placed to do things like a good metallic feel on the rim, more subtle and less cartoony shading, etc.
*cough*XCF*cough*

Although I don't think Inkscape can export directly to a .xcf... I'll have to check that.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
TimothyP
Music Contributor

Post by TimothyP »

The changes to the wood and metal are great. I think even more detail and texture would be good. So that the lines in the wood don't look drawn, if that makes sense.

Also, I think the gray-ish border around the shield should be plain with no golden studs. The plain gray was a nice solid look.

--Timothy
telex4

Post by telex4 »

turin wrote:
telex4 wrote: It would make sense to get the basic shapes and colours done in Inkscape, and then export it to a PNG (possible a few different PNGs to have layers) and import those into The GIMP. Then you are much better placed to do things like a good metallic feel on the rim, more subtle and less cartoony shading, etc.
*cough*XCF*cough*

Although I don't think Inkscape can export directly to a .xcf... I'll have to check that.
Nope it doesn't, you'd have to export several PNGs then import them into The GIMP as layers, and save the result for future work as an XCF.
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

'nother update. Made the rivets gray and worked on the outter stroke to make it look less like a stroke =)

Attachments
FinalLogo.zip
Here is the SVG, maybe someone else can refine it some more than I.
(107.32 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

YAUS.

I like were we are right now with this. Does someone has any more feedback to it or can we just make the happy dance now?.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
TimothyP
Music Contributor

Post by TimothyP »

I would like to see the wood look more realistic. I would also be interested to see if Elvish Pillager has any good modifications to make. Is there any way to give all of this a more realistic look?

It has that "drawn on a computer" look.

I also don't like the font on "the battle for". It's slightly hard to read, and looks like an unprofessional font.

Sorry. I'm just into high quality, and I think with more time, this could be even better.

--Timothy
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

TimothyP wrote:I would also be interested to see if Elvish Pillager has any good modifications to make.
I do. That is, I have modifications to make. I doubt that I'll make them within 20 hours, though.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Woodwizzle wrote:'nother update. Made the rivets gray and worked on the outter stroke to make it look less like a stroke =)

This one is good.
Great Mage Nicolas
Lugo Moll

Post by Lugo Moll »

Well, it's good, but it looks less proffessional than the current one.
Perhaps the shield should be hand-drawn and modified in a computer...
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies."
-Roger the shrubber
TimothyP
Music Contributor

Post by TimothyP »

I agree with Lugo. We'll see what pillager comes up with.

--Timothy
Xan
Inactive Developer

Post by Xan »

How about this one?

The font really needs something though...
"It is time people learned about their failures and my successes."
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

There is one big problem with the shield logo.

The borders of it look like if it has been used for ages, whereas the center of the shield looks new. It doesn't look realistic enough for a professional logo.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
pacho

Post by pacho »

I prefer the current fonts :?
Disto

Post by Disto »

pacho wrote:I prefer the current fonts :?
Same
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth