The Curse of Endless Days(campaign idea)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ctoan

The Curse of Endless Days(campaign idea)

Post by Ctoan »

I am pretty nervous about this, but here goes:

I have an idea for a campaign, and I've done some work on it.
As you can tell by the title, it's about a curse that was cast somewhere that causes never-ending day.

I have 4 scenarios currently.

However, this campaign features Loyalists, and there's already a Loyalist campaign, so I really think this should be released later. I might eventually attach my work, but it's too early for this sort of thing, I think.

(But I like the first scenario...)
keorn

The curse of endless days

Post by keorn »

I've seen his levels and it seems alright so far.

As he said, one would think it is a bit early to release it right now.

(even though I think it is great so far)

Perhaps later.

(Or if you guys really want to see it, bug him)
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

There's no reason why we can't have more than one compaign featuring loyalists. The premise sounds interesting. Not all campaigns have to be huge 20+ mission epics, an original shorter campaign could be cool.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I think that the side one controls in a campaign is far less important than the interest of the storyline and campaign premise.

There is no intention to categorize campaigns by which faction is controlled and limit campaigns to one of each type. If your storyline is interesting, and your scenarios are well-designed people will enjoy your campaign, and we will want to include it with the distribution.

Also, campaigns need not be epic, twenty scenario affairs, as quartex has said. A six, or even four scenario campaign is fine, especially if those scenarios are well-designed.

But....I'm not sure I understand the premise completely. If you're loyalists (i.e. get Lawful units) wouldn't having endless days be to your advantage? :)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

just wondering about the plot of your campaign, wouldn't never-ending day be GOOD for loyalists, not bad?

sounds good overall. i'm doing the loyalist campaign, buut it is in no way official, you are free to make your own. in the end they could both be included in the game. maybe you could play 'campaigns' and 'quests', where quests are campaigns with less than 10 scenarios, campaigns have more than ten. thus 'heir to the throne' would count as a campaign, but all the others (so far) would count as quests.
just an idea, thought i'd throw it out.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Ctoan

Post by Ctoan »

Some clarification:

The land on which the curse is cast upon was not originally owned by the Loyalists, but by Orcs or Undead, or maybe Undead then Orcs, or such.

But, the Loyalists had taken the land from the Orcs or Undead (probably better to use Orcs), and the Orcs, not knowing of the curse (somehow or other), want their land back. Perhaps the land should be resource-rich (this is why I want to use Orcs instead of Undead), so the Loyalists would want to hold onto it.

An interesting idea as to why the player would want to break the curse would be due to a personal problem (like sleep), and therefore might have to fight their own faction/race to get to the source of the curse.

I think I should have mentioned this at first, it's pretty important. But, anyways, this is basically a more detailed description of the plot that I have in mind.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Ctoan wrote:Some clarification:

The land on which the curse is cast upon was not originally owned by the Loyalists, but by Orcs or Undead, or maybe Undead then Orcs, or such.

But, the Loyalists had taken the land from the Orcs or Undead (probably better to use Orcs), and the Orcs, not knowing of the curse (somehow or other), want their land back. Perhaps the land should be resource-rich (this is why I want to use Orcs instead of Undead), so the Loyalists would want to hold onto it.

An interesting idea as to why the player would want to break the curse would be due to a personal problem (like sleep), and therefore might have to fight their own faction/race to get to the source of the curse.

I think I should have mentioned this at first, it's pretty important. But, anyways, this is basically a more detailed description of the plot that I have in mind.
Please use orcs, i don't think we want two loyalist campaigns fighting undead.

this is an interesting plot. how many scenarios do you planned so far?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Ctoan

Post by Ctoan »

turin wrote: Please use orcs, i don't think we want two loyalist campaigns fighting undead.
That was what I intended originally, I mentioned so in the clarification.
turin wrote: this is an interesting plot. how many scenarios do you planned so far?
I don't really know, I'm currently just creating as I go.
But, eventually, I should get a plan, to make things easier.
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

That sounds like an interesting campaign idea and a nice exploitation of the Wesnoth engine. I look forward to seeing how this shapes up.

Of course, as a graphics guy (who actually is not working on any graphics right now), I'd be happy to help you out if you need a few custom unit graphics.
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

I like the idea, but it might be more interesting from the orcs point of view.
miyo

Post by miyo »

turin wrote:Please use orcs, i don't think we want two loyalist campaigns fighting undead.
That is up to campaign builder, I don't see anything wrong with having two Loyalists vs Undead campaigns. Campaign builders should use block which keep them motivated to finish their campaigns.

Yes, I know this is not a problem as this campaign will use orcs.

- Miyo