More (aquatic) portraits

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Outstanding.

I shall worship you for ephimeral moments in front of my monitor.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
MRhe

Post by MRhe »

Awesome portraits. Nice job!
Disto

Post by Disto »

Just beautiful! I can't wait to see more.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Ditto on all of the above.
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Wow. :shock:

These are pretty amazing, really. Great, great work.

Turin: the nagini already has two swords.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Ankka wrote:Turin: the nagini already has two swords.
What do you know, it does.

Well then, we need a Nagini with one sword and a Naga with 2 swords. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

And we need to have a bow in Konrad's portrait. :roll: Little things like the number of swords aren't a big issue in portraits, and it's much better IMO to have portraits for more units, than portraits for the same units that just fit their level slightly better.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

Awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome and awesome, great.
Sorry for the meaningless post
Jormungandr
Art Contributor

Post by Jormungandr »

I think I'm going to branch out into some other level 1 units before doing more advanced versions of the merfolk, in the interest of covering as many of the distinct unit lines as possible.

But a Merman Hunter is in the works, at least.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Jormungandr wrote:I think I'm going to branch out into some other level 1 units before doing more advanced versions of the merfolk, in the interest of covering as many of the distinct unit lines as possible.
This would be great. We're hoping to release 1.0 in the next month or so, and it would be great if you could draw us enough portraits so every unit line has a portrait. (Every unit would be too much of course, but considering we already have a start, every unit line might be feasible, I think).

I can't remember any piece of content ever being so emphatically or enthusiastically accepted by the Wesnoth community as the portraits you've drawn so far. :)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Jormungandr
Art Contributor

Post by Jormungandr »

First, thanks for everyone's very kind words.
Dave wrote:...it would be great if you could draw us enough portraits so every unit line has a portrait...
That's...a bit of a tall order. Not least because I'm going to be away from my computer for the last week and a half of August. I'll do what I can, of course, but I certainly don't expect to be able to manage every remaining unit line in the next month. So, ah, please, don't stop any other artists from doing some...

On that note:
Attachments
Merman Hunter line
Merman Hunter line
merman-hunter.png (25.01 KiB) Viewed 3701 times
yeahthatguy

Post by yeahthatguy »

Considering the thickness of his right upper arm, his right shoulder is too small. Also, the left side of his torso seems a little off. :)
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

These images have been Committed, with the exception of the merman hunter.
Jormungandr wrote:Offense? Never! In fact, I agree there was something wrong with the mermaid's face, which your edit seems to have fixed. (was it only moving her mouth up?)
Almost - I also moved one of the shading contours on the face *ever* so slightly, and raised the jawline a smidge.
Jormungandr wrote:Also, I tweaked the naga a bit, disconnecting his cheek and his mouth...see if it looks any better.
Looks good - the new one is the one I committed.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

yeahthatguy wrote:Considering the thickness of his right upper arm, his right shoulder is too small. Also, the left side of his torso seems a little off. :)
I have a knee-jerk reaction to not like comments like this, but the bit about the shoulder actually does seem to be correct.

I've done a simple edit, which I have committed.

---

Note to those who'd care: I'm waiting on wiring these into the unit files, for now - it depends largely on what other portraits he makes. That's also something that doesn't strictly necessitate my skills/tools (which image modification and compression do).
szopen

Post by szopen »

One thought just has passed through my mind: with such cool (or even kewl) portraits like this for average units, the portraits for custom campaigns would have to be really good (not to mention they WOULD HAVE TO BE if you get my point).

I mean, imagine all the units using portraits when talking, but main heroes using either unit images or some lame portraits made by coder frustrated that no artist rushed to his help (abandoning all his other duties and tasks :) ).