Play with the Wesnoth developers

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dave
Founding Developer

Play with the Wesnoth developers

Post by Dave »

In the lead up to 1.0, and probably for some time after in celebration of the release of 1.0, the Wesnoth developers would like to invite users to come and play some friendly games of Wesnoth with us.

Every saturday, particularly from 3pm-11pm GMT, we hope to populate the official CVS server, devsrv.wesnoth.org:14999 to play. A few guidelines:

- you will need to compile the CVS version of Wesnoth to participate. Please have your version of CVS compiled less than 24 hours previous to the start of your game. Please do not flood this thread asking how to compile Wesnoth CVS. After 1.0 is released we will try to repeat this using 1.0, allowing all users to participate.
- games will generally be 3-4 player co-op games against the AI. 2 vs 2 team games may also be played. Anyone is welcome to play any other type of game, of course, but the developers aren't really that interested in playing 1 vs 1 at this stage, and games with 5+ players take too long.
- remember, the games are intended to be set up and played in a way where players of different skill levels can enjoy playing with each other (vs games do not usually facilitate this very well).
- games will generally be played on random maps with fog and shroud
- please have at least 2 hours free if you start a game
- please be courteous and patient
- please understand that if you find a bug while playing with a developer, the developer may consider fixing the bug to be of higher priority than continuing the game immediately
- if there are no new games starting, you might try to observe a game. It can be interesting, and simply chatting with other users and developers is part of the fun. Also, if someone has to leave a game, you can replace them.

Players and developers may post intent to participate with times they will be on in this thread.

This saturday I think Li'sar and I will both play a few games. I have to check with her on our schedule though. :)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

I will hopefully find the time to join for one or two games, too. I will be online from about at least 7pm GMT this saturday. I hope for nice games.
isaac
Inactive Developer

Post by isaac »

I will also try to be there to enjoy a game, I'm really missing playing mp with other devs.
lisar
Princess

Post by lisar »

I have no clue what gmt is, but we'll be there I'm sure :)
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

GMT is Greenwich Mean Time. From Texas, I think that you are 5 hours behind.

What is the minimum skill level? I'd like to participate (if I can find the time), but I'm waaaaaaay out of practice.

Also, I can compile CVS, but since I know nothing about programming, I cannot guarantee stability, and CVS is likely to be unstable to begin with.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
ettin
Lord of Glamdrol

Re: Play with the Wesnoth developers

Post by ettin »

Dave wrote:Players and developers may post intent to participate with times they will be on in this thread.
I would like to play too. But it is difficult to specify an hour now that I'm on a dialup.
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

... compile?

count me out
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Noy wrote:... compile?

count me out
That's what I thought when I saw that...

The idea is cool, though.

Perhaps I'll just have to try and get it compiled somehow... would be cool. Let's hope someone is patient enough on the IRC channel. ;)
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

I'm hoping to be there, though given this flaky connection it might be safer if I just observe. Remember to switch on logging before playing (commandline option --log-info=all) so we can diagnose the errors that are likely to get spotted!
This quote is not attributable to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

great! :D
Great Mage Nicolas
ziberpunk

Post by ziberpunk »

isaac wrote:I will also try to be there to enjoy a game, I'm really missing playing mp with other devs.
Oh yes! I remember first multiplayer game tests with Dave and Miyo :)

Count me there! Don't know which schedule though :\
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

MadMax wrote: What is the minimum skill level?
There is no minimum skill level. Idea is to have fun, casual games, not to be competitive. Players shouldn't feel reluctant to participate because of lack of skill.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Hieronymus

Post by Hieronymus »

Cool, I would like to play... But indeed, like Noy, I don't know if I'll succeed in compiling (for Windows) :-( I will try though, by following the intructions on Wiki, although those are not very extensive...

If anyone has a precompiled binary of the current CVS for Windows, please tell so we can copy it from you. Thanks.
darksteel

Post by darksteel »

same with me for MacOSX :?
The darksteel eye

For a wesnoth strategie guide click here----------> http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7109
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

It seems that I am leading the revolt against compiling, when will you learn you devs that all this faith in compiling will lead you nowhere!

okay, Im done with that.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.