Roman legion type faction

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Disto

Post by Disto »

unsung wrote:3.if an axeman levels up it says it cannot find the level up choice mounted axeman. that wasn't the exact error message because I can't quite remeber it.

Probably just a typo by me somewhere.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Here is an updated version. You shouldn't get any "error finding unit advanced to" errors any more.

Temuchin Khan: I didn't fix the descriptions in this one, but I will in the next. I don't think we should combine the Foederatus and the Velite - if they're different, they should stay different. And I'll change the stuff about outnumbering the Legionnaires almost 3 to 1, also.

Disto: Copy the marauder files out of this, and use them to replace the originals ones! I edited the descriptions so they make more sense (I'm going to guess they were originally written by someone not english-fluent), and fixed some capitalization errors in the image names.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Disto

Post by Disto »

You seem to have missed the Marauder Crusher line....
Creator of the Marauders
Disto

Post by Disto »

turin wrote:Here is an updated version. You shouldn't get any "error finding unit advanced to" errors any more.

Temuchin Khan: I didn't fix the descriptions in this one, but I will in the next. I don't think we should combine the Foederatus and the Velite - if they're different, they should stay different. And I'll change the stuff about outnumbering the Legionnaires almost 3 to 1, also.

Disto: Copy the marauder files out of this, and use them to replace the originals ones! I edited the descriptions so they make more sense (I'm going to guess they were originally written by someone not english-fluent), and fixed some capitalization errors in the image names.
Yeah they were written by Burnsaber...
Creator of the Marauders
Disto

Post by Disto »

Ok, the Scout doesn't advance to the Slave Raider, probably because you changed the name of the Slave Raider and it's id but forgot about the change the image name. Also you're using a old image of the mounted axeman, it's got a new axe head. Phhhh.... And the Lord is not going to be used as it is, i'm editing it. The graphics of the warrior line are still going to be changed as the pillager has a arkward(sp?) stance. Also there are 2 different types of Marauder movement.. 1 is for the scouts and 1 is for the rest. Your using just 1. But mainly it looks good. I'm going to edit the resistances etc. now. You need to also change the scouts movement type to foresterfoot as it should be.... The Legionaire isn't recruited because it isn't a figther, it's a mixed fighter so it isn't on the ai recruit pattern.
Last edited by Disto on August 11th, 2005, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Creator of the Marauders
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Disto wrote:Ok, the Scout doesn't advance to the Slave Raider, probably because you changed the name of the Slave Raider and it's id but forgot about the change the image name. Also you're using a old image of the mounted axeman, it's got a new axe head. Phhhh.... And the Lord is not going to be used as it is, i'm editing it. The graphics of the warrior line are still going to be changed as the pillager has a arkward(sp?) stance. Also there are 2 different types of Marauder movement.. 1 is for the scouts and 1 is for the rest. Your using just 1. But mainly it looks good. I'm going to edit the resistances etc. now. You need to also change the scouts movement type to foresterfoot as it should be....
I fixed teh Scout-Slaveraider-Raider thing just now.

If I'm using old images, send me the new ones. ;)

I know there are two types, and I'm using both. But you got your uses wrong. The Hunter gets foresterfoot, but the Scout still gets plain old marauderfoot.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Disto

Post by Disto »

turin wrote:
Disto wrote:Ok, the Scout doesn't advance to the Slave Raider, probably because you changed the name of the Slave Raider and it's id but forgot about the change the image name. Also you're using a old image of the mounted axeman, it's got a new axe head. Phhhh.... And the Lord is not going to be used as it is, i'm editing it. The graphics of the warrior line are still going to be changed as the pillager has a arkward(sp?) stance. Also there are 2 different types of Marauder movement.. 1 is for the scouts and 1 is for the rest. Your using just 1. But mainly it looks good. I'm going to edit the resistances etc. now. You need to also change the scouts movement type to foresterfoot as it should be....
I fixed teh Scout-Slaveraider-Raider thing just now.

If I'm using old images, send me the new ones. ;)

I know there are two types, and I'm using both. But you got your uses wrong. The Hunter gets foresterfoot, but the Scout still gets plain old marauderfoot.
Ok, also the raider should have slow.... with his net, remember he is meant to catch slaves, why do you think he was called a slave-raider. :P
Ok you had a typo there, instead of special you had specialty. :lol:
Ah yes, that means there would be 3 different 1s...... except they have great movement anyhow. Ok.
It was my fault, i've found that i actually put the wrong 1 in the firstplace. :P

Change the Axeman to mixed fighter and change archer in the era to mixed fighter, the marauders have no archer lol, this way it'll mean that there will be more marauder warriors and crushers, yes on my version i am using crushers.

The only other thing i can immediatly see is, the crusher berserk is on attack and defence, but i suppose that balances it. (2 crushers take down heavy infantry hehe)
Also the second level of the numidian cavalry only need 34 xp to lvl. 3 thats the same it used to get up from level 1!
Attachments
marauder-mounted-axeman.png
marauder-mounted-axeman.png (3.61 KiB) Viewed 2254 times
Creator of the Marauders
Disto

Post by Disto »

I personally think the Roman are overpowered even more then the Marauders, because you seem to have given the Marauders minus resistances. One example of this, is say you were fighting a Pillager and Propugator against each other. At Dusk, the resistances would mean the pillager would have an attack of 6-4 against a 10-3 from the Propungator, which can then use range on it and smash it that way, also the Romans use less xp per level, so can you turn the xp of the Marauders down a bit.
Creator of the Marauders
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Actually, I'll just tune down the Roman's power more. I would really prefer to have these factions playable against those in Default. ;)

Unfortunately, tomorrow I leave for a week. So why don't you make edits to my stats and post another .zip with all your changes while I'm gone?

[edit]
well, before I leave, here's one last stats update. I fixed some stuff in the marauderfoot and foresterfoot types (mainly incorrect resistance to holy), and make the auxiliaryfoot have worse resistances. I also powered down the Auxiliary and the Numidian Horseman.
The World of Orbivm
unsung

Post by unsung »

does anyone else think we should make a classical era topic so that people don't get confused and leave this one open for suggestions for the romans like new units and such?
and turin, dont tone them down too much because they are supposed to be powerful but expensive. it might make more sense to simply lower the negative resistances. the pillia however does need to be a bit less damaging as it wasn't a javelin or anything like that. I'd suggest remove 1 or 2 points of damage from it.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

We should probably start a new topic... but this one should still be used for balancing the romans.

It will all make more sense once I release this as an era on the server, methinks.

I'll tone down the pilum attack, then maybe they will be less powerful... BTW, I think I know why the AI refuses to recruit Legionnaires. It never recruits mixed fighters, of any variety. I'm going to change them to plain old fighters.
The World of Orbivm
unsung

Post by unsung »

ok.

about the AI: if the AI won't recruit mixed fighters, why do we have that unit type in wesnoth? :?
well, time to go stare at the campaign server. :shock:
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

OK, well, I've reached the maximum filesize for all attachments. Whatever the heck that means. So the next stat revision goes on the server. 8)
The World of Orbivm
unsung

Post by unsung »

I think it means the maximun total size of all your attachments. that or its just plain too big.
now I'm going to go back to staring at the server.
:shock: :) :shock: :| :shock: :irritated: :shock: :x :shock: :cry: :shock: :D
or maybe I'll see how mp works out with the romans (also making people aware that this faction exists)
unsung

Post by unsung »

Right now this doesn't work on MP, it gives the other players a unit not found error and boots them. it was the propugnator that is said it couldn't find.

against the AI the romans and marauders are both over powerful against the loyalists, easily killing them, even in castles (maruaders aren't quite so overpowered when attacking castles). elves are better against romans but still weak. I don't know how elves are against maraduers. but either way, the romans and maraduers are overpowered when not fighting each other.
the light infantry and roarius are especially overpowered. I think that setting the roarious's resistances to -20% and/or reducing his attacks by 1 or 2 damage and reducing the light infantrymans attack by 1 damage would be good.

axeman still has the same level up error of not being able to find the level up choice mounted axeman and the marauder raiders images are not showing up for some reason.
and the last error I have found so far is with the roman skirmisher's skirmish ability not working.