Roman legion type faction

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

unsung

Post by unsung »

Dave wrote:
Secutor.

And btw, Gladius is a brilliant game. :)

David
yes it is.
that was what I mean tfor the skirmisher. but wether you want to make images for secutor as replacement ot use waht you have is your choice turin. I personally don't care either way.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
unsung

Post by unsung »

I lthink that stats look awesome though I still think the legionarre should be able to use his shield as an impact weapon.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

OK, here are stats for all of the units. Note: THEY ARE IN ALL PROBABILITY NOT AT ALL BALANCED. I just threw them together, so that I have the unit files ready for when we start thinking up stats. And, I'm not sure what the stats difference between the Decurion and the Signifer is supposed to be, so I have them identical, IIRC.

Any stats suggestions welcome.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
unsung

Post by unsung »

Combatjuan wrote:Nice job Turin! They look pretty good.

Now I'm dying for a whole set of Classic-Earth era armies to play with. Barbarians (Marauders) Vs. Romans would be an awesome start even without full animations and mojo. If a pack gets put together, I'd be happy to do some playtesting.
saved me the time it would take to type something like that.
Thanks a LOT for doing all this turin.

so.... how would I view the stats?
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Combatjuan wrote:Nice job Turin! They look pretty good.

I think that I actually /do/ like the blue on the skirmisher line. It makes them a little easier to identify.

Now I'm dying for a whole set of Classic-Earth era armies to play with. Barbarians (Marauders) Vs. Romans would be an awesome start even without full animations and mojo. If a pack gets put together, I'd be happy to do some playtesting.

Thanks for your hard work.
I concur. Good work on the Romans, Turin!
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

@unsung: Well, it doesn't matter, because those stats are out of date. Here are my most recent stats, in a .zip (so hopefully you can read them). I've been doing some playtesting with them, though, and for some reason the AI refuses to recruit anything but Militia. Here's the era I threw together:
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Sorry for the double post. I just thought I'd say that I've written descriptions for all of the Roman units, however, I doubt their historical accuracy. ;) I'd like it if someone who knew what they were talking about would look over them. They're contained in the attachment to the previous post.

On another note; what do people think about releasing this as an era along with the Marauders? I've been testing them in an era against each other... they are not balanced, but everything's working well enough to release it on the server and generate some interest.
The World of Orbivm
MRhe

Post by MRhe »

Definitely. I think it would be a great idea.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

turin wrote: On another note; what do people think about releasing this as an era along with the Marauders? I've been testing them in an era against each other... they are not balanced, but everything's working well enough to release it on the server and generate some interest.
This certainly would be the best way to get the feedback needed to balance them.
unsung

Post by unsung »

I read over some of the stats and they do seem overpowered, but the marauders are too so I think its pretty fair.
I think that releasing an era with the romans and marauders together would be the best way to go.
all we need now is a campaign, music, and animations and we'll be all set.
how would I make the era you made work o nmy computer turin? I was going to paste it into the eras folder in wesnoth but, there isn't anything called that so.....

and thanks again for your hard work.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Yes, both the Legion and the Marauders seem overpowered, so as an era it should work OK. Still, it would be good if they would be balanced outside of the era, also.

Here's the entire era, in a .zip. You need to unzip it in .wesnoth/data/campaigns/, or equivalent. (That's the folder where all the campaigns you've downloaded go).
The World of Orbivm
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

An era made of overpowered factions (if done correctly) means GOOD MORTAL COMBAT, maybe even realism.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
unsung

Post by unsung »

I just downloaded it, now I can at least try to help with play testing.
I agree that it would be good to get them balanced outside of this era.
unsung

Post by unsung »

I just played a few times and heres what I noticed:
1.I can not load saved games because it cannont find the unit numudian horseman(it used correct spelling, I didn't).
2. the maraduers don't fare very well against the legionaress as they cannot do much damage to them and the legionares are given a bonus against them but it still seems to be a good intresting matchup overall.
3.if an axeman levels up it says it cannot find the level up choice mounted axeman. that wasn't the exact error message because I can't quite remeber it.
4.the AI does not recruit legionares but it does recruit everything else.
5.the light infantrys attack is just a little too high, I know that it was supposed ot be more like a level 1.5 unit than a level one unit however, so I think it should be reduced by one.
6. the factions being so overpowered actually works quite well since there isn't any real balance issue if two out of two factions are over powered.

6.5. It also solves the one real problem with wesnoth- the pace is too slow to be able to play a game and win against anyone in less than 2 hours even if its the AI. with the factions so overpowered, the units are more realistic (they do enough damage to sometimes kill each other if both have full health one a single turn at times! usually ony a few hits were neccesary in real life.) and they kill each oher so fast, it never gets boring or to slow and, isn't fast.

7. this era is much more fun to play than it has a right to be. I actually find each individual fight interesting. (probably becuase I don't know what the results are likely to be like I do with everything else since its so new) becuase of this I really want to see how a campaign would work out with them!

8. the romans seem a bit low on impact attacks, with mostly pierce and blade availbe for recruitable units (wont be good against undead) perhaps you should allow the decurion to use his staff as a weapon or the signifier to use his standard as a club, or at least until something else is thought of.
or we could ignore it, because I have barely noticed.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

turin wrote:Sorry for the double post. I just thought I'd say that I've written descriptions for all of the Roman units, however, I doubt their historical accuracy. ;) I'd like it if someone who knew what they were talking about would look over them. They're contained in the attachment to the previous post.
I looked it over. My initial impression is that most of the unit descriptions are fine. Two things, though:

First, it isn't accurate to say that light troops outnumbered Legionnaires 3:1. Under Caesar Augustus, at least, light troops and cavalry combined were slightly less than the number of Legionnaires.

Second, the description of the Velite line as often being of barbarian origin would more accurately match the Foederati (singular: Foederatus), which have not been included in our tree (not that they should). Velites, at least in the days of the Republic, were generally impoverished Roman citizens. DO keep the wolfskin, though! The Velite looks just like it should!

That having been said, I'm willing to let it pass. If we're combining Velites and Foederati into one unit, then so be it.