Roman legion type faction

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Assasin

Post by Assasin »

this is off-topic, but I must say that HW2 is an awesome game. There are so many different stragtegies you can use because of it's 3-dimensions.
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I really don't want this idea to die, but I have neither the time nor the skill to animate these guys. So far, we have the Legionnaire tree graphics basically complete (though obviously with no animations), and the same with the horse riding tree. I'm still working on the Militia tree, but it's not going great.

What I think we should do now is make a unit pack out of this, with .cfg files and all, and put it on the server. If we can generate some interest, we might be able to get some decent artists to do the animation.

So, can we get some definitive stats here?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

I would like a definitive tree (specially for the discussion on cavalry branches), then we can watch similar units to work on the stats.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
unsung

Post by unsung »

I think we have the legionare stats already don't we?
I also though of a way to give them a skirmisher, based off of a type of gladiator. those guys who fought dirty with a single armored boot, one pauldron, and a really weird helmet. I can't remeber much so thats all I can say right now.

I'm also rather irritated with myself because of the fact that I dont have the ability to do any of the work for this faction besides thining of a few things.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Cuyo Quiz wrote:I would like a definitive tree (specially for the discussion on cavalry branches), then we can watch similar units to work on the stats.
And a definitive tree you shall have!

Code: Select all

-> Propugnator -> Praetorian Guard
Legionnaire -> Decurion -> Centurion
            -> Signifer -> Aquelifer

Auxilliary Horse -> Numidian Claimant -> Numidian Champion

-> Slinger -> Funditor
Militia -> Skirmisher -> Rorarius
        -> Light Infantry -> Veles
And here's a graphical version.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

OK, now I'm a bit confused, about the Militia line. I remember that some of the units are supposed to be colored, some blue, some green or something like that... but which gets which color? Who is green, who is blue, who is brown? :?
The World of Orbivm
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

turin wrote:OK, now I'm a bit confused, about the Militia line. I remember that some of the units are supposed to be colored, some blue, some green or something like that... but which gets which color? Who is green, who is blue, who is brown? :?
I don't think we came to a final conclusion, just a practical one. Feel free to use your own judgment!

I think, however, the Rorarius line should be brown, since that color looks more earthy and ancient and "rorarius" was a very old term, dating from the Republic's early years, which later fell into disuse.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Very well. I've messed around with the images a tad, and created the... Skirmisher, I guess...
The World of Orbivm
unsung

Post by unsung »

yeah... . um.... sorry to say it but that isn't close to what I meant. my fault though because I was vauge. I'll try and find the name of what I was talking about.
if anyones played gladius, it was the class in the empires area, that had th eability to taunt and throw sand in your eyes. if you know what I mean, could you tell me its name?
Last edited by unsung on August 9th, 2005, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Hm... I think I see what you're saying... however, I don't think it would work as an advancement of the Militia. Perhaps as a separate unit? So, there are 4 base units, the new one being a gladiator.

In any case, I've done some more of the Militia advancements. All that are left now are the Velite and the Rorarius.
The World of Orbivm
unsung

Post by unsung »

I think we should use the sats that were hough tof ahead of time for the legionarre they were in the first few pages, (iincluded a 17-1 meele impact with shield) and add some new ability to reduce damage from ranged or whatever it was.

If no one thinks of stats for the other units then we could then just give them stats that seem to make sense and refelect how they were historaclly. from there it could be made into a classic or age of heroes era unit pack and we could test it agianst AI until it seems balanced. I think that shoul donly be done if there's no one who figures out what they should be for the units.

BTW I had actually meant for the skirmisher to be a base unit anyway.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I've completed all of the units! Although, I don't like it that both the Rorarius and the Funditor are blue... I'll probably make the Funditor either red or brown...

I think that we should get stats for these guys and release them as a unit pack on the server. Once the Marauders and/or the Maghrabi are done, we can put them together and call it an era. Sound good?
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

unsung wrote: if anyones played gladius, it was the class in the empires area, that had th eability to taunt and throw sand in your eyes. if you know what I mean, could you tell me its name?
Secutor.

And btw, Gladius is a brilliant game. :)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Combatjuan

Post by Combatjuan »

Nice job Turin! They look pretty good.

I think that I actually /do/ like the blue on the skirmisher line. It makes them a little easier to identify.

Now I'm dying for a whole set of Classic-Earth era armies to play with. Barbarians (Marauders) Vs. Romans would be an awesome start even without full animations and mojo. If a pack gets put together, I'd be happy to do some playtesting.

Thanks for your hard work.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." - Phil. 1:21
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Combatjuan wrote:Nice job Turin! They look pretty good.
Thanks!
Combatjuan wrote:I think that I actually /do/ like the blue on the skirmisher line. It makes them a little easier to identify.
Yeah, I think I'll leave the blue on there. What I don't like is that The Funditor (The advanced slinger) has blue on him also. I'm not sure how big a deal it is, but I'll probably change it eventually.
Combatjuan wrote:Now I'm dying for a whole set of Classic-Earth era armies to play with. Barbarians (Marauders) Vs. Romans would be an awesome start even without full animations and mojo. If a pack gets put together, I'd be happy to do some playtesting.

Thanks for your hard work.
Yep. This era is going to be awesome. 8)

[edit]
So... how do these stats look?

[movetype]
name=legionfoot
	[movement_costs]
	deep_water=100
	shallow_water=3
	swamp_water=3
	grassland=1
	sand=2
	forest=2
	hills=2
	mountains=3
	village=1
	castle=1
	cave=2
	tundra=3
	canyon=100
	cavewall=100
	[/movement_costs]

[defense]
	deep_water=80
	shallow_water=80
	swamp_water=80
	grassland=50
	sand=70
	forest=70
	hills=50
	mountains=40
	village=30
	castle=30
	cave=60
	tundra=80
	cavewall=10
	[/defense]

[resistance]
	blade=70
	pierce=80
	impact=90
	fire=110
	cold=120
	holy=80
	[/resistance]
[/movetype]

[unit]
id=Roman Legionnaire
name= _ "Roman Legionnaire"
race=roman
image="roman-legionnaire.png"
hitpoints=46
movement_type=romanfoot
movement=5
experience=42
level=1
alignment=lawful
advanceto=Roman Propugnator,Roman Decurion,Roman Signifer
cost=18
usage=fighter
unit_description=" "
get_hit_sound=groan.wav

[attack]
	name=gladius
	type=blade
	range=short
	damage=6
	number=4
	[/attack]
	[attack]
	name=pilum
	type=pierce
	range=long
	damage=5
	number=2
	special=slow
	[/attack]
[/unit]
The World of Orbivm