Recruiting Units

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
charlieg

Recruiting Units

Post by charlieg »

At the moment, recruiting and recalling units can be a laborious process, especially with a lengthy list.

You have to:
  1. right-click
  2. select 'recruit' or 'recall'
  3. (maybe) scroll to the particular unit
  4. select the unit
  5. press 'ok'
4 definite steps, which doesn't sound like much. But for 6 units that becomes 24 steps. For 12 units, 48 steps... the start of a big battle can be quite unfun.

It would be much better if you could simply select your units during one dialogue phase.

For recruiting: click to increment and right-click to decrement the number of a particular unit you wish to recruit - with that number displayed by the unit - and select 'ok' to finalise the recruiting.

For recalling: click to select and click again to deselect a unit, pressing 'ok' to finalise.

That way, what was before a 24-step process becomes a 9-step process. Whereas before it was 4n [irrespective of terms] - with n being the number of steps - it becomes 3 + n [per turn].
Free Gamer - free games compendium & commentary
FreeGameDev - free game development community
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

most skilled players want to specify exactly where their units go. this is why suggestions of this nature have usually not been taken. i think that it is fine how it is; most scenarios only require 12 units total, making 24 total steps. others might find it annoying, but i do not.
also, note that control-R opens the recruit window and alt-R opens the recall window, reducing the number of steps per unit from 4 to 3. and enter recruits/recalls the selected unit. this makes it much easier to do, because most of the steps can be done with the keyboard. i find that it takes me about a minute to recruit/recall on later levels (which take the longest), and most of that time is spent deciding what to recruit/recall.
basically, i see no need for this feature, and i think it would hurt the gameplay of many players.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Lithorien

Post by Lithorien »

I agree with the above statement. I love being able to select *exactly* where I want to recall my units. Though a good idea, it's not quite practical in my mind.
Know your Allies Well, Know your Enemies Better. -Sun Tzu, The Art of War.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

I don't see anything that would suggest that it wouldn't be possible to place the units where you want after having selected them as charlieg proposed.
charlieg

Post by charlieg »

Ok, why not make it so that the dialogue is placed to the side of the castle (moving the view if necessary), and that units are placed as you select them. If you don't like the placing, deselect and reselect in order. Make the units semi-transparent (to differentiate between them and units that are already there) until you finalise your selection.

:?: :idea: :arrow: 8)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

i prefer it how it normally is, and i do not think it takes too much effort.

that being said, i think you will have to convince me to use this idea, not other way round. i see no advantage to this new method, i see some disadvantages (that are hard to explain), and i see no real reason to change.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
charlieg

Post by charlieg »

turin wrote:i prefer it how it normally is, and i do not think it takes too much effort.

that being said, i think you will have to convince me to use this idea, not other way round. i see no advantage to this new method, i see some disadvantages (that are hard to explain), and i see no real reason to change.
So you don't find having to right click, select the menu option, select the unit, press ok, then right click, select the menu option, select the unit, press ok, then right click, select the menu option, select the unit, press ok, then right click, select the menu option, select the unit, press ok, then right click, select the menu option, select the unit, press ok, then right click, select the menu option, select the unit, press ok, just to select 6 units to be a bit tiresome?

I find myself lamenting the recruitment/recalling process every time I start a new map. It's not until I get into the battles that I start to really enjoy it.
charlieg

Post by charlieg »

turin wrote:most scenarios only require 12 units total, making 24 total steps.
That's 48 steps mister.
miyo

Post by miyo »

Use HotKeys:

* ctrl-r to recruit
* ctrl-shift-r to repeat last recruit
* alt-r for recall

- Miyo
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

charlieg wrote:
turin wrote:most scenarios only require 12 units total, making 24 total steps.
That's 48 steps mister.
if you had read my post, you would have realized that hotkeys such as control-R significantly reduces the time takes. these are the steps i count:

[1] control-R
[2] select unit
[3] hit enter
with [3] taking so little effort it barely counts. now where did that 48 come from?
The World of Orbivm
charlieg

Post by charlieg »

What if my hand is surgically attached to the mouse?

Also, note that my suggestion doesn't affect your way of recruiting which would still function the same. It just gives a more convenient method for recruiting multiple units at the same time.

:D
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

well, this new method would make it so new players would be handicapped, and might never learn how to use 'my' method.

anyway, i think this discussion is more suited to the 'ideas' forum. why doesn't a mod move it there?
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

charlieg wrote: I find myself lamenting the recruitment/recalling process every time I start a new map. It's not until I get into the battles that I start to really enjoy it.
I concur, for scenarios beyond the first six or so, anyhow.

It's like "oh boy....who am I going to recall?"

Sadly, I can't think of a way to make it better that doesn't require lots of work.

I guess it's time to do lots of work :)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I actually enjoy the recruit/recall process, because it requires a lot of thinking. often i have so many advanced units i need to decide exactly what traits they get, and that takes time anyway, so i don't think attempting to save time is necessary.

Well, if dave wants to code it, i can't really stop it :D
The World of Orbivm
lala

Post by lala »

an idea: for recall use a checkbox in front of each unit, for recruitement counters that can be set. Thus you can get multiple units in one time.