The Sceptre of Fire

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

scott

Post by scott »

I have a question. Is Kalenz a continental celebrity during this time? Is he known to elves that so far outside the elvish heirarchy they don't honor the Wesnoth treaty? I know he's making a name for himself in Santi's campaign during this time, but it seems weird that he has a reputation for softness when he's kicking orc ass elsewhere. I don't want to nitpick, but I just wondering why he comes up in the first scenario.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

scott wrote:I have a question. Is Kalenz a continental celebrity during this time? Is he known to elves that so far outside the elvish heirarchy they don't honor the Wesnoth treaty? I know he's making a name for himself in Santi's campaign during this time, but it seems weird that he has a reputation for softness when he's kicking orc ass elsewhere. I don't want to nitpick, but I just wondering why he comes up in the first scenario.
The campaign is supposed to take place after Landar breaks away from Kalenz. The enemy elves in SoF are allied with Landar; naturally, they would despise Kalenz for allying with the humans.

I think my chronology is correct here, but if the Kalenz/Landar split happened later than Haldric II's time, tell me.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
scott

Post by scott »

I don't remember much from the other campaign which is why it sounded a little out of place to me. However, I trust you have it straight. Are you going to make the 25 year stretch count from scenario 1 or from when they start forging the sceptre? I see you threw in a year here and there; it might be good to use narration in those places (I'm thinking of when you find Thursagen).
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

scott wrote:I don't remember much from the other campaign which is why it sounded a little out of place to me. However, I trust you have it straight. Are you going to make the 25 year stretch count from scenario 1 or from when they start forging the sceptre? I see you threw in a year here and there; it might be good to use narration in those places (I'm thinking of when you find Thursagen).
I'm counting from scenario 1. As Dave said in the other thread, it could have taken them 15 years to gather the materials and only 10 to actually make it.

When I throw in a year here and there, I'm trying to mention it in a narrator message, but sometimes I forget. :)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Teldar

Post by Teldar »

Commenting on 0.7.2 balancing. I hope, my remarks are still valid for 0.8...

I played in normal difficulty. Used every turn to the last for levelling units in
Searching_for_the_Runecrafter and Gathering_Materials. IMHO:

* The runesmiths' magic melee is too powerfull. Levelling with these is easy. Most units in AIs command keep in a respectful distance. I'd suggest to decrease damage by one. Also I'd recommand not to put the Arcanister in any users recall list :wink: .

* Hills_of_the_Shorbear_Clan:
With these levelled units I could kill both the dwarf and the elf. To save the plot of siegeing by the elves, I'd say the elf needs a considerable amount of gold around mid-turns.

* _The_Dragon: Only two L2 units were recalled, 14 L3. Two of these were lost to the Beserkers and the traffic jam at the beginning. After that reaching and holding the forge was a little too easy. Perhaps the dragon could personally try to regain his forge towards the end?
Also, the comment on finding the forge was made early by a enemy bat. I guess, that was not intended?

* _Caverns_of_Flame:
Conquered the rune without setting it off. Then watched the Trolls decimating the elves. Then killed the trolls and at the end the remaining 8 or 9 elves. Took around 75 turns, but was quite riskless.
The error is, that the elves are reluctant to leave the yet to break down walls to the orks. It seemes the AI cannot figure out, that it can't reach those orks.
I don't know, if this is a principal weaknes of the AI. Sometimes one can watch the AI sending units to capture deep sea villages, which are not able to reach those. Might be a similar AI problem.
If so, you could perhaps create the orks later. The right timing would be difficult, though. Should be 5 turns before the player sets off the glyph ;-) .
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Teldar wrote:* The runesmiths' magic melee is too powerfull. Levelling with these is easy. Most units in AIs command keep in a respectful distance. I'd suggest to decrease damage by one. Also I'd recommand not to put the Arcanister in any users recall list :wink: .
I see. I guess they should be toned down a bit.
Teldar wrote:* Hills_of_the_Shorbear_Clan:
With these levelled units I could kill both the dwarf and the elf. To save the plot of siegeing by the elves, I'd say the elf needs a considerable amount of gold around mid-turns.
The elf and dwarf will both get more gold to start, and the elf more in the middle.
Teldar wrote:* _The_Dragon: Only two L2 units were recalled, 14 L3. Two of these were lost to the Beserkers and the traffic jam at the beginning. After that reaching and holding the forge was a little too easy. Perhaps the dragon could personally try to regain his forge towards the end?
Also, the comment on finding the forge was made early by a enemy bat. I guess, that was not intended?
That was not intended. :shock: and I'll somehow make the elves catch up...
Teldar wrote:* _Caverns_of_Flame:
Conquered the rune without setting it off. Then watched the Trolls decimating the elves. Then killed the trolls and at the end the remaining 8 or 9 elves. Took around 75 turns, but was quite riskless.
The error is, that the elves are reluctant to leave the yet to break down walls to the orks. It seemes the AI cannot figure out, that it can't reach those orks.
I don't know, if this is a principal weaknes of the AI. Sometimes one can watch the AI sending units to capture deep sea villages, which are not able to reach those. Might be a similar AI problem.
If so, you could perhaps create the orks later. The right timing would be difficult, though. Should be 5 turns before the player sets off the glyph ;-) .
The orcs should target you, not the elves, until you set off the volcano. I'll change the AI if its not doing that.

Although plotwise, a turn limit makes no sense, I might have to add one so that you don't just hang around like you did...
The World of Orbivm
scott

Post by scott »

In scenario 2t, could you change the endlevel to continue rather than continue_no_save? That way we can save.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

scott wrote:In scenario 2t, could you change the endlevel to continue rather than continue_no_save? That way we can save.
Quite honestly, I have no clue how the endlevel tag works. I'm looking it up right now to see if that would mess anythign up... (OK, it would work)
The World of Orbivm
scott

Post by scott »

When Balgur dies, Alanin makes the death cry

Edit: when a miner drops off a load of materials, his graphic doesn't change to the unladen version
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Ave

Post by Ave »

scott wrote:When Balgur dies, Alanin makes the death cry

Edit: when a miner drops off a load of materials, his graphic doesn't change to the unladen version
I guess they don't unload either, i believe this is why you need only one coal dwarf :)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

OK, well, I'm still not sure what's up with the coal dwarves. But, I've rebalanced scenarios 3, 4, 5, 8 and 9 based on Teldar's comments. So, I'm releasing version 0.8.1.
The World of Orbivm
MRhe

Post by MRhe »

I'm playing the first scenario using the most recent version from the campaign server, Wesnoth v.0.9.4 on OS X and the carts don't trigger the victory conditions when they reach the Citadel.

The horseman reaches it, says his lines and disappears, but nothing happens to the carts (no change to full carts and the victory conditions aren't satisfied).

When I tried this campaign a while ago the first scen. worked fine but now it seems buggy...anyone else have this problem?
scott

Post by scott »

You have to load the carts up at Haldric's signpost first.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
MRhe

Post by MRhe »

Thanks Scott
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Version 0.9.0

There is now an epilogue. The campaign can be considered complete, and probably balanced. In fact, I'll probably be able to release 1.0 sometime later this week.[/b]
The World of Orbivm