Hellrider's maps

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Hellrider

Hellrider's maps

Post by Hellrider »

My first map, i hope you enjoy it! :P

[map]WmWcWrWhWrWGWGWrWhWrWcWmW
micCrhrgrIrrGrrIrgrhrCcim
cC1CggfgvnGqrqGmvgfggC4Cc
cgCgrrhfWhhwrwhhWfhrrgCgc
cgRgffrhWWGfrfGWWhrffgRgc
cwRngwrrfcfmtmfcfrrwgnRwc
cERRbfhrtfchfhcftrhfaRREc
sJwgRRrfghWWhWWhgfrRRgwJs
ssIQfgRkggfWgWfggRRdgQIss
ssskgk/dkkNhIhNkkg\kdkcss
GPcZkYwwgvkkRkkvgwwYkZcPG
GsckkkwggkkhRhkkgdwkkkcsG
sssQdd\kkgNWIWNgkk/ggQcss
sJIggRRfghfWgWfhgfRRfgIJs
sEwRRfrrgfWhhhWfgrrfRRwEs
cwRnawhrtccmfmcctrhwbnRwc
cgRggfrhfWfftffWfhrfggRgc
cgRgfrrfWhGwrwGhWfrrfgRgc
cCCCrghgWmhqrqhnWghgrCCCc
ci3CghfgvIGrrrGIvgfhgC2ic
mmccrrrhrrrGGGrrrhrrrccmm[/map]
Last edited by Hellrider on April 2nd, 2006, 6:29 pm, edited 6 times in total.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Looks interesting...

What editor are you using? I'm going to guess the MacOS scenario editor, since its the only one I know of that butchers the transitions and such so badly...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Hellrider

Post by Hellrider »

turin wrote:Looks interesting...

What editor are you using? I'm going to guess the MacOS scenario editor, since its the only one I know of that butchers the transitions and such so badly...
yes i used the scenario editor that comes with 0.9.3 for OS X

I forgot to say team order is 1212 and that i have tested it with AI with all factions and even loyalists or undeads are not soo disadvantaged.. Anyway comments are welcome :D
Hellrider

Post by Hellrider »

2nd map! Team order 121212 (3gpv) Small 3v3 map..

[map]WWWWWWWmSgSgSmWWWWWWW
WWWWWmFggvvvggFmWWWWW
WWWmFggggC3CggggFmWWW
WmFvgvgEEHCHEEgvgvFmW
uggC1CEccc|cccEC5Cggu
uggFCc\FcckccF/cCFggu
oFggRRHvSckcSvHRRggFo
uiHgggRRQRRRQRRgggHiu
WWgFmHgERFmHREgHmFgWW
WWSHvFSESHvFSESFvHSWW
WiggmggRRRmRRRggmggiW
uFHggRRvQcRcQvRRggHFu
oggFRcHFSckcSFHcRFggo
uggCCC/ccckccc\CCCggu
uFgv6vEEcH|HcEEv2vgFu
WWmFggggECCCEggggFmWW
WWWWmFgggv4vgggFmWWWW
WWWWWWmFggvggFmWWWWWW
WWWWWWWWmSgSmWWWWWWWW
WWWWWWWWSWSWSWWWWWWWW[/map]
Last edited by Hellrider on April 2nd, 2006, 6:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

It looks interesting, but I think the keeps are a bit too close to each other. This map, however, would be good if a team was in the north, and the other one in the south.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Hellrider

Post by Hellrider »

In fact the team order is 121212 but it's the same as "Hexcake" player1 is of course in the top-left, player2 is on the bottom-right, so yes it's basically north vs south :wink:
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

hey hellrider.

The second map is good, and has a lot of potential. Just that I find if a faction takes the village at the start (which the top players should easily do for two of the areas given the orders) it is very difficult to dislodge them given the ease for a player to reinforce from their keep next turn. (I'd like to playtest one counter strategy to that... but I doubt it would be effective). Regardless opening up each of the center villages might be helpful to make the map more balanced, and open up gameflow to enable more opportunities to attack.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
Hellrider

Post by Hellrider »

Ok i took also note of the suggestions you made during the last game we played, and hopefully in th next days i'll make a 2nd version modified..
Then we can maybe have a rematch to check if it's more balanced or not :wink: :P Thanks for your help anyway
Hellrider

Post by Hellrider »

Based on Noy's suggestions here is the second version of Snow Crossings.. Now the middle villages need at least 8 movements to be reached (so a quick archer cannot reach it anymore :wink: ) and are less easy to control, also the map is bigger (4hexes more in width and height) and i removed some snow terrain, replacing it with hills and forest.. There is grassland near the central villages and in the very mid of the map i put 2 villages instead of 1 to give more chances to both player 3 and 4.
I hope you enjoy it :D

[map]WWWWWWWWmgSgSgSgSmWWWWWWW
WWWWWmFggggvvvggggFmWWWWW
WWWmFggFHEEC3CEEHmggFmWWW
WmFvgvgEEcc|C|ccEEgvgvFmW
uggC1CEcccckckccccEC5Cggu
uHggCR\Fccc|Z|cccF/RCkggu
oogggvRRSHcRcRcHSRRvggkoo
uAmgFkkHRRQiRiQRRHrrggmAu
]ggrkkFggFRRRRRFggFrrrFk]
ugrWWgkkgRRHSHRRgrrgWWrku
WgNgSHgEQWrce/rWNggHSkQgW
WWrmFAEmEWmckcmWEmFAkmrWW
WgrkkHFgEWm/kcmWEEEHFRrgW
WkQWSggrNRrHeHrRQkggSWNgW
ukrrWrrggFRRSRRFggkkWrrgu
uAFgrrFHgRRiRiRRgHFkkggAu
uomggvrRRHQEcEQHRRkvFgmou
ogkkgRRFScc|c|ccSFRRgggHo
uggCCC/cccckZkcccc\CCCggu
umgv6vEEccc|c|cccEEv2vgmu
WWFmgggmEEcCCCcEEFgggmFWW
WWWWFmggHgEv4vEgHggmFWWWW
WWWWWWFmggggvggggmFWWWWWW
WWWWWWWWSSgSgSgSSWWWWWWWW[/map]
Last edited by Hellrider on April 2nd, 2006, 6:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Hellrider

Post by Hellrider »

Another map! 3v3 3gpv (121212) hexcake inspired! :D
Attachments
hellcake9kl_704.jpg
hellcake9kl_704.jpg (85.86 KiB) Viewed 3906 times
6p - Hellcake.zip
(562 Bytes) Downloaded 192 times
Last edited by Hellrider on September 20th, 2005, 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
kangounator

Post by kangounator »

snow crossing is a great map and Xroads isn't bad but i don't like the last one because there's not enough forest and mountain so it's unbalanced
"Draw me a sheep." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery
"And i sorry for my english." - tomsik
Hellrider

Post by Hellrider »

New map! 1vs1 (Duel) Enjoy! :D

[map]WWWWWWWmmmmmWWWWWWWW
WWWWWgggv1vgggWWWWWW
WWWgoggECCCEggogWWWW
WgohgEEhgrghEEggogWW
oghEEvgrrNrrgfEEggoW
gEEgmrrhW[WgrrfgEEgW
EKCggrgWuDuWfrggCKEW
EEgmfrgg]WuhgrfagEEW
wPEEwrgWWmWWgrdEEdwW
cck/EfrhfvfhrmE\kccW
WY|QkQEECKCEEQkQ|YWW
Wc|\kmEhCvChEfk/|cWW
cdkEErrWfmfWrrEEkPcW
wEEadrghWWWggrwmEEwW
EKggfrgWuD]WgrfggKEW
EECggrfgu[uhgrggCEEW
ggEEffrrWNWrrvmEEggW
ogggEEghrrrhgEEhhgoW
WWogggEEgCgEEgggoWWW
WWWWogggC2CgggoWWWWW
WWWWWWgmvmvmgWWWWWWW[/map]
Last edited by Hellrider on April 2nd, 2006, 6:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Hellrider

Post by Hellrider »

I put all my maps in one pack so you can have them all in the same place (there are 2 "Revised" version of my maps in this pack that i haven't posted before). I hope you like them :D
Attachments
Hellrider's pack.zip
V.1 Latest pack is on the last page
(4.08 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
Last edited by Hellrider on October 13th, 2005, 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

Hellrider, pretty good go, your Snow Crossings map looks quite playable! I think there are a few things you could consider to improve your maps (of course, all a matter of taste and opinion):

1. make them less center-dependent. All your maps focus on the center, where there are villages in equal distance to both sides. Not only do you force your players to focus on one areas (one that is already logical for fighting to happen), it also favours the first-to-move. Really I think you detract from the rest of the map if all the major decisions happen in the center. I suggest trying to make a map that doesn't have something special in the center.

2. You use a lot of variations of grassland to visually show the players where to go - the center. Because you use various roads, dirt, grassland and ford it might not look like it, but the last two maps have a lot of grassland. I wouldn't say too much, because I like playing loyalists :D.

3. Don't use ford terrain next to deep water - or wait until the transition has been made by the artists. It looks very ugly.

P.S. IMO hexcake is a terrible and boring map that should be removed from the official set of maps, and not be imitated...

EDIT: some rephrasing.
Hellrider

Post by Hellrider »

Thanks for your opinion Rhuvaen, i guess you are right on 2. and 3. and my next maps will take them in consideration (except that i like hexcake :wink: ). Yes i focused on the central part of the map for the first maps (except for example X-Roads which is actively played north and south other than center). Anyway Noy pointed out in one of our games that since i focused on central part of the map, the first to play would have an advantage as you writed above.. (btw it's the same as hexcake. In fact ALWAYS red and blue take mid village and usually yellow takes the central one; for this this reason i've seen very few games in which south won over north :wink: ) Anyway those maps are first attempts and i'll use your suggestions to change something in the next i'm going to make. :D

EDIT: btw i used maybe a bit more grassland just to make it as balanced as possible for each faction.. I don't know if i managed to do it though :wink: