Scenario Editor for Linux

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

pacho

Scenario Editor for Linux

Post by pacho »

Is there any scenario editor for linux like this:Image(this is for MacOSX)?

Thanks a lot :)
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Where did you find this? Who made it? If it is in Java or Python, it can be easily put on Windows and Linux. Such an editor can save much time, even if it doesn't do everything.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
pacho

Post by pacho »

In http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6074
But I think that it only runs on MacOSX :cry: :cry:
pedro

pedro

Post by pedro »

I´m whit you pacho we need a scenario editor for LINUX. 8)
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Not if it's the same quality as the Mac OS X one, which is not up-to-date and isn't any good IMHO anyway. A text editor is more convenient and lets you do more stuff.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Not if it's the same quality as the Mac OS X one, which is not up-to-date and isn't any good IMHO anyway. A text editor is more convenient and lets you do more stuff.
Of course, this editor can't make everything. It's not better than a text editor. But it can save you a lot of time.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
scott

Post by scott »

Well, there's an opportunity to write a really good editor then. If an experienced scenario writer were to guide its development it could become quick and intuitive rather than bulky and difficulty to use.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Disto

Post by Disto »

Also it would stop any human mistakes and also as stated already, speed up things.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Disto wrote:Also it would stop any human mistakes and also as stated already, speed up things.
And show people how to clog up the campagn server even more. :irritated:

I known this sounds elitist, but I don't think its a good idea to make creating campaigns extraordinarily easy before we have a means of sorting the campaigns on the server, otherwise it will quickly become overcrowded with no means for a newbie to find out which are worth downloading...
[/rant]
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

A campaign editor would be great. However, no decent campaign editor exists yet. The one pictured in the screenshot at the top is a screenshot of a very very work in progress campaign editor by Sithrandel.

It's very easy with 'rapid application development' tools to construct a GUI that looks complete and high quality, but that doesn't mean it actually is. That's the state, I understand, of Sithrandel's editor. Drawing what it looks like is the (relatively) easy part; coding it to work is the hard part.

I also understand that Sithrandel's editor is written using Cocoa, an Apple-only API, and thus porting it would be infeasible.

Morloth is currently working on the Wesnoth map editor, and I hope he eventually extends it into a campaign editor. Anyone else is also welcome to work on a campaign editor.

However it should be noted that writing a good campaign editor would be really hard work. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it...
turin wrote: I known this sounds elitist, but I don't think its a good idea to make creating campaigns extraordinarily easy before we have a means of sorting the campaigns on the server
You can already sort campaigns on the server. Just click on the heading of the column you want to sort by.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

It would be good if the map editor was integrated to the scenario editor so you can put special objects (like potions, sculptures, monoliths, temples...) directly on the map.
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

I haven't tested it recently... but the scenario editor did have a degree of functionality. Placement of units and items (directly on the map), victory follow-ons, etc. were all handled.

Events were also handled, but it rapidly became clear that with the development of WML it would be mad to put in a nice GUI for events. Hence the event editing portion is a little incomplete. What it does allow is placing of event on a map, and selecting units by name, etc. The events list is from a config file which it loads and parses on startup.

It also includes text editors for adding events.

So it could generate a full campaign, if anyone was determined to use it. The thing is far better text editors exist, so it is certainly not the best solution...

Completing the editor wouldn't be a huge job once WML stabilised. As long as it is evolving, however, then an editor is always going to be a few steps behind. I found that when I was actively coding it that the goal posts would move, invalidating some of what was done. Trying to produce a GUI based scenario / campaign editor whilst everything still could change isn't the best use of resources.

The map format is more stable, so work on a map editor makes far more sense at this particular point of Wesnoth's development.

Programmers program to scratch an itch. The itch for me was to give Mac users a map editor when they did not have one. Now they have access to the official editor that itch is less. As few of the real campaign writers expressed a strong interest in the Scenario editor there wasn't a motivation from that direction.

Once Wesnoth is in less rapid development and WML is more stable then that is when a proper campaign editor is worth making.

It is also worth highlighting that although the Scenario Editor could create an entire working campaign, the size of that campaign would be a lot larger than if coded by hand...
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

I think it should be made for linux and win too. If not a scenario editor, then at least a campaign editor, that can make the campaign.cfg.
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

martenzo wrote:I think it should be made for linux and win too. If not a scenario editor, then at least a campaign editor, that can make the campaign.cfg.
Great. Then make it for Linux and Windows too. :)
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming