SCENARIO editor for Mac OS X

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

scott

SCENARIO editor for Mac OS X

Post by scott »

There are two editors available. First is a scenario editor programmed by Sithrandel that comes WITH the game.

Two very common questions are, "Where is it and how do I use it?"

1. Switch to windowed mode. In the menubar, select Editor > Launch.

2. There is currently a bug where text fields don't accept input. You can fix this. Switch to the map editor pane. Start drawing on the map until the yellow bracket cursor starts tracking your mouse. Now you should be able to enter text.

The other editor is a standalone map editor. See the other sticky for instructions. It is no longer being updated so new terrains and graphical updates won't be available. However, for basic applications it might suit your needs.
Attachments
A thousand words
A thousand words
editor.jpg (16.19 KiB) Viewed 5827 times
Last edited by scott on November 20th, 2005, 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

The other option for Mac OS X is to compile the game yourself with the --enable-editor option to configure, using the commandline compiler tools from Xcode 1.2, 1.5 or 2. This will give you the same map editor that everyone else uses. Work is in progress to allow the map editor to be built using an Xcode project file.

If you aren't using Mac OS X then this thread isn't relevant to you. The Scenario Editor is not available for Windows or Unix, but only for Mac OS X. Of course, the Map Editor is available for every platform the game supports.

EDIT: the map editor can now be built as a proper Mac app, by running make wesnoth_editor_bundle on the commandline.
Last edited by ott on June 13th, 2005, 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
This quote is not attributable to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
allefant
Units Database Administrator

Post by allefant »

Since the Mac OSX scenario editor is mentioned so often in these forums, but windows and linux users can't use it, maybe it would be good to add a link or short description here which describes what it does besides the built in map editor. Maybe also a screenshot. So we non-mac-people would know what we are missing out on, and can give up trying to make scenarios without a Mac :P
scott

Post by scott »

Here is one.
Attachments
scenario_editor.png
scenario_editor.png (84.59 KiB) Viewed 5726 times
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
pacho

Post by pacho »

Does it run on Darwin instead of MacOSX?

Thanks
scott

Post by scott »

I think it uses Cocoa for the GUI, so it is a Mac OS X app.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

But can't the sources be compilated for Linux? MacOS is an UNIX system, after all.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
scott

Post by scott »

You can try it, but you would at least need to switch the GUI-related code over to another framework. I really don't know, but Sithrandel would. Mac OS X is a proprietary GUI system that uses Unix, so the cross-compatibility only goes so far.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
pacho

Post by pacho »

scott wrote:I think it uses Cocoa for the GUI, so it is a Mac OS X app.
Does Darwin include Cocoa?

Thanks and sorry my poor english
pacho

Post by pacho »

scott wrote:You can try it, but you would at least need to switch the GUI-related code over to another framework. I really don't know, but Sithrandel would. Mac OS X is a proprietary GUI system that uses Unix, so the cross-compatibility only goes so far.
Who is Sithrandel?
scott

Post by scott »

He is the Mac OS packager. He makes appearances in the "how to compile" sticky in the developer discussions forum and in the 0.9.3 release announcement.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Personally I find the Mac OS X map editor much more useful. The only problem with the map editor is that if it finds characters in a map that it doesn't have a definition for than it won't load the map.

So occasionally I load maps with the scenario editor. While it isn't as pretty at rendering maps, it will load any map, just displaying a character it doesn't understand as a random terrain. When I have a map with lots of custom terrain and I just want to edit a small part of the map, I either just use a text editor, or load the map into the scenario editor.

Beyond map design I find writing scenarios much easier with just a normal text editor.
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

In a desperate attempt to confuse matters further, I have included the official Map Editor in the 0.9.4 package :D
scott

Post by scott »

This topic has been deprecated to normal post, where it will eventually drop of the first page. If anyone has any further discussion about this topic or has a reason it should remain a sticky, now is the time to speak up.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

every time i go to name something, i select it press delete/backspace nothing happens i start typing nothing happens

I can place units and terrain but not name anything. Help please
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm