MIDI files

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

freecraft

MIDI files

Post by freecraft »

I would like to know, why MIDI isn't being used for music? Problems running midi on linux, patents problems or something third?

Btw, I found a guy who will likely compose a song for wesnoth, after he returns from camping :P
allefant
Units Database Administrator

Post by allefant »

From what I remember, you can use MIDI (as well as IT/XM/S3M/MOD and anything else SDL-mixer supports..).

An obvious disadvantage of midis is that they will never sound the same, since they only store the notes and midi instrument id, but not the actual samples for the the instruments.
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Forget midi. Most basic sounds just aren't good enough. OGG Vorbis is just fine.
freecraft

Post by freecraft »

Aleksi wrote:Forget midi. Most basic sounds just aren't good enough. OGG Vorbis is just fine.
... and just 100 times bigger filesize ...
XJaPaN

Post by XJaPaN »

freecraft wrote:
Aleksi wrote:Forget midi. Most basic sounds just aren't good enough. OGG Vorbis is just fine.
... and just 100 times bigger filesize ...
... and just 100 times worse quality and inflexibility ...
Lindir The Green

Post by Lindir The Green »

XJaPaN wrote:
... and just 100 times worse quality and inflexibility ...
How?
many people do not have a great sound library on their computers, but most composers do (I think...) which means that the music sounds better when the composers are converting it to .ogg than when the listeners are listening to the MIDI version, which sounds horrible with their crappy sound library.

And .ogg has more quality than .mp3, as well as being free.
"The men of Wu and the men of Yueh are enemies; yet if they are crossing a river in the same boat and are caught by a storm, they will come to each other's assistance. Hence it is not enough to put one's trust in the tethering of horses� -Sun Tzu
XJaPaN

Post by XJaPaN »

Depends on your soundcard! But you can't do any cool sound effects with midi files.
Roel

Post by Roel »

XJaPaN wrote:Depends on your soundcard! But you can't do any cool sound effects with midi files.
midi supports lots of stuff, I think it would work fine for me but I know I don't like people listening to my tunes with a lousy soundcard.
freecraft

Post by freecraft »

I think MIDIS are fine since 1990 so ...

OGG is ok, but only if voice is included, otherways, midi is better choice, my opinion. ;)

Btw, my friend is doing intro music for wesnoth, I hope you will like it when he finishes it. :)
jimmyj

Post by jimmyj »

Well, my midi software is horrible so i use ogg ;)
If you are reading this, then you are just looking for stuff to steal and put into your own sig ;o)