Play another map in multiplayer

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
telex4

Play another map in multiplayer

Post by telex4 »

Ahoy,

This is a very simple proposal that would make the mystery campaign unnecessary.

It'd be good if, at the end of a multiplayer map, it gave you the option to "play another map". This would bring up the multiplayer game dialogue again, defaulting to the play mode you had previously (ai vs. human, online, etc.) but with the option of having your previous units available for recall and your gold reserves available.

This would make multiplayer far more enjoyable, since half the fun of the game is in preserving and using high level units, and would avoid the problem of randomness in the mystery campaign, which quickly gets boring. You could choose how hard to make your enemies each time, rather than having the game try and calculate an even match.

In other words, it would require little in terms of new features, and perhaps some code refactoring, but would open up a great new possibility in the game.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Good idea. Pity it can't go in before 1.0...
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
olof

Post by olof »

yes, very good idee, for a big multiplayer war, usefull for tournaments, too...
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

This idea should be noted as a reason why it's still good to have an "Ideas" forum. :)
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

And since the Mystery Campaign is currently broken, this idea stands out even more. Nice one, perhaps you could post a feature request to http://bugs.wesnoth.org/ so we don't forget about this in the rush to 1.0.
This quote is not attributable to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Squig

Post by Squig »

The problem is, when you have lost one multiplayer battle, you have not to recall, while your opponent will have some lvl2. In worst case, you have been crushed and oponent has a bunch of leveled units.

There should be a way to solve this problem. maybe more gold to the loser? or map choice? or some kind of scripted scenario?

anyway, i think that rejoins some other post, which i wasn t able to find :oops:
telex4

Post by telex4 »

I'm glad people like the idea :) Here I was expecting a flamefest or a polite pointer to a topic where it had been discussed before!
Squig wrote:The problem is, when you have lost one multiplayer battle, you have not to recall, while your opponent will have some lvl2. In worst case, you have been crushed and oponent has a bunch of leveled units.

There should be a way to solve this problem. maybe more gold to the loser? or map choice? or some kind of scripted scenario?
I think scripting would go against the spirit of the idea. You could level things off very simply by giving more gold to losers when setting up the next game. Also, there's no reason why losers shouldn't be able to recall units that they still had - you can defeat someone just by killing their leader, remember.