New Campaign: Eternal Kingdom

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

martenzo

New Campaign: Eternal Kingdom

Post by martenzo »

The campaign is going to be 7-8 scenarios long + Epilogue and an interlude.
It speaks about how a Necromancer tried to make an undead general to himself, but his attempt failed. The spirit (you), was made too cunning and independent. He started desiring power and so he killed his creator. The spirit wanted to create a kingdom that would last forever (as he did in his lifetime), but he realized, that this plan cannot include conquering the world, since if a ruler (especially an undead one) started taking over the world, everyone mobilized against him. He wanted to create a small kingdom, so that after a thousand years, when all the currently powerful kingdoms are long forgotten, his would still stand.
The events take place in southeastern Wesnoth. You are going to have to fight with orcs, undead, some swamp monsters, humans, elves, possibly drakes, mabye (but unlikely) dwarves.

P.S I'm going away tomorrow or the day after that, so I'll still be working on it, but I can't post the campaign.
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

OK, if someone explains me about how to install and put the campaign on the campaign server. the starting version should be ready (hopefully there aren't any bugs).
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
scott

Post by scott »

http://wesnoth.slack.it/?BuildingCampaignsThePBLFile

- Create a blank text file in your campaigns directory and call it xxx.pbl, where xxx is the name of the campaign folder
- Write the following lines and fill in the info

Code: Select all

author="you"
title="My Campaign"
icon="neutral-thug.png"
version="0.1"
- Start the game
- Go to "Get More Campaigns"
- At the very bottom of the list you should be given a new "publish" option
- After you publish the first time, examine the pbl file and write down the passphrase (just in case you delete the pbl file)
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

oookkaaaay. no publish option, If the campaign cfg file is in the ~/.wesnoth/data/campaign/ directory, the game won't even start. I'm giving you the campaign directory, could you tell me what's wrong with this thing (I think the error is in Eternal_Kingdom.cfg or ek-macros
Attachments
Eternal_Kingdom.zip
(4.72 KiB) Downloaded 471 times
scott

Post by scott »

Sorry it took me so long to reply. There were some major typos in the difficulty description WML. I'll post an updated version of Eternal_Kingdom.cfg when I get it working.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
scott

Post by scott »

Alright, you caught me on a good day. I don't have the time to go through and list every error and make you fix them all yourself. However, most of the WML errors were due to a lack of attention to detail - missing quotes, improperly formed or missing [scenario] tags, failure to look up image names (undead-ghost.png vs ghost.png), etc. There's one part where you specify the bonus, but that needs to be done inside an [end_level] tag. If you want to write a campaign that's ever worth playing, you should take the time to look up what you need in http://wesnoth.slack.it/?ReferenceWML . Attention to detail in both the WML and the story will make it a better campaign. This sounds like an interesting plot, so you should try to do it justice :)

Some of the includes {@data/campaigns/Eternal_Kingdom/folder} can probably be moved one-by-one back inside the campaign #ifdef. I rewrote the campaign cfg file because I think there were invisible characters causing errors. Also, I wouldn't use the Highwayman as a leader because he is a prop only - but you have to deal with distributing and using the unit - it's not part of the main game. Unless you distribute the unit cfg and images, there will be some systems that can't display the unit in-game. A bandit should work just as well.

So, it works now, but there's some more work for you to do on it. Good luck!

P.S. I recommend you combine some of your story tags so we don't have to read the story line by line. 1-2 sentences per part is fine for story tags.
Attachments
ek_fixed.zip
(8.64 KiB) Downloaded 441 times
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

Thanks scott. I'll be correcting the campaign then. You've helped a lot. Can't thank you enough.
By the way, I'm going away tomomrrow, so I probably won't be posting updates, but I hope that with a good friend of mine, (who lives in Tartu, where I'm going) can probably help me with the campaign (he has graduated university on programming) . I'm hoping that when I return (on Friday) the campaign will be ready.
Oh yeah, most of the code has bee copied from other campaign cfg files and modified to fit my campaing, could that have been the source of all the bugs?
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

I think there's a problem. I have Linux, you have MacOSX right? The files are either unreadable to my programming tools because of opsys differences, or they are corrupt. Either way, they are unusable.
scott

Post by scott »

Yes, but are they readable by the game on your end? I can go over them with a unix (solaris) text editor or (gasp) Wordpad if you need it. This is the first time I heard of Linux and Mac not playing nicely.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

Could you do that, please? I might need to make some changes (like uniting some [story] tags, removing invisible units etc.). This is the first time linux and mac aren't playing along.
scott

Post by scott »

Try this. I used emacs to erase all the line feeds. Gzip has an option to convert line feeds, which you can try, but I didn't mess with it or move it back to my computer. http://www.cis.rit.edu/~slk8779/wesnoth/ek
If it's not that or endianness I don't know what is causing it. I can always post the text online.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

Ok, I'm (finally) back and I've tried to download it from you link. Unfortunately:
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /~slk8779/wesnoth/ek/Eternal_Kingdom.cfg on this server.
scott

Post by scott »

Sorry! A quick chmod did the trick. You can get it now.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

Version 0.3 is out
Changelog:
Added second level
Removed the macro
Tried figuring out the map problem (should be alright, but isn't)

The main problem is getting the map correct. For some reason, the map is completely wrong and I'm out of ideas, the map data is in text, but the map is still wrong.
Last edited by martenzo on July 19th, 2005, 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

On a Side note, I've made some unit graphics for level 3.
What do you think. Is it well recoloured (cuz that all I did)?
Attachments
ice-troll-grunt.png
ice-troll-grunt.png (2.02 KiB) Viewed 7577 times
ice-troll-whelp.png
ice-troll-whelp.png (20.47 KiB) Viewed 7581 times
ice-troll-warrior.png
ice-troll-warrior.png (20.47 KiB) Viewed 7602 times