some questions about abilities and such...

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

RoddyVR

some questions about abilities and such...

Post by RoddyVR »

i restarted the HttT campaign last night, cause i realized that i had been way to reckless with my loyal units and my leveled units too so i was starting to have severe power problems (medium dificulty if it matters).
anyway, have some questions that i'd like answered so i know how to pick which units to give the exp to.

1. leadership.
does leadership give the damage boost only to units next to the "leader" who are attacking the same unit the "leader" is attacking? or can the leader be on the back row and make the units all around him fight better?

2. cures.
which lines have cures? the shaman and its evolution, but they are real tough to level (tough to kill anything with a shaman). the white mage, but does his 3rd level? would hate to rely on white mages for healing only to find out that they evolve to something that dont heal. anyone else?

3. slow.
how long does the "slow" effect last? is it just during my turn, or is the unit still slowed during the enemy turn if i slowed it on my attack? does the slow effect stack (if i slow a 4-4 unit twice will it be 4-3 or 4-2)?

4. quick trait.
do archers ever have the "quick" trait? in my first go through, i kept wanting to have a leveled 7 mover to recal, but never got a quick archer, do they exist?

5. campaign trees.
are there any "secret" type things in the early missions (before say mission 7 or 8 ) that i should try to get? like i just read that after the mission with the mermen, i should have picked the water way to get a white mage. i dont even remember the level after it, but i know i had picked the land route.

6. killing allies.
last night as i was going through the second mission for the 3rd time, i REALY wanted to kill one of the "ally" horsemen, so another of my units could take his place and deliver the finishing blow to one of those green regenerating monsters (troll?). is there any way to "turn on my allies". and are there any downsides to taking their vilages from them?

EDIT: oh forgot to add to the curing question. the "other" line in the shaman thing.... sorceress or enchantress or something, dont remember.... does the 3rd level one there heal. i know the second level doesnt (that's why i never took her in my first run through.)
Xanous

Post by Xanous »

Hi.

1) Leadership effects all of your units who are beside the "leader". All the special abilities of units are passive, you don't have to do anything to get them to work. Just have people stand beside the leadership unit to get the bonus.

2) All healers either keep healing or upgrade to cure, the only exception being elvish shaman when they upgrade to sorceress. But once you have curing you'll never lose it.

3) Slow lasts one turn. So any retaliations during your turn after you slow it, and any attacks the slowed unit make their next turn all have one less attack.

4) Archers can get quick too. Its just not as common for elves since elves have 5 traits while other units get 4. Traits are all random.

5) I assume you're talking about the heir to the throne campaigne. There are only 2 places where you have a choice of which way to go. The other one is much later. And picking the water way isn't nessissarily the best way to go, it's a much, much harder level.

6) There's no way to turn on your allies that I know of. You can take all their villages if you want, it just means they can make less units to steal your XP.

7) Your edited comment: No, the third (and forth) level enchantress doesn't get heal or cure. In the Heir to the throne I'd upgrade all my shamen to Druids because you get access to human mages, who are much better than elvish ones.

This will show you how your units upgrade: http://wesnoth.slack.it/units.cgi
RoddyVR

Post by RoddyVR »

thanks xanous.
claus

Re: some questions about abilities and such...

Post by claus »

RoddyVR wrote:3. slow.
how long does the "slow" effect last? is it just during my turn, or is the unit still slowed during the enemy turn if i slowed it on my attack? does the slow effect stack (if i slow a 4-4 unit twice will it be 4-3 or 4-2)?
Units lose slow at the end of their turn. (This means a ranged unit attacking your shaman will not be slowed during your turn)
RoddyVR wrote:6. killing allies.
last night as i was going through the second mission for the 3rd time, i REALY wanted to kill one of the "ally" horsemen, so another of my units could take his place and deliver the finishing blow to one of those green regenerating monsters (troll?). is there any way to "turn on my allies". and are there any downsides to taking their vilages from them?
If you really need your ally during the level, you should try not to take his villages, else you should take the villages. (You need the gold for a campaign, your ally needs it for one scenario)
RoddyVR wrote:EDIT: oh forgot to add to the curing question. the "other" line in the shaman thing.... sorceress or enchantress or something, dont remember.... does the 3rd level one there heal. i know the second level doesnt (that's why i never took her in my first run through.)
In version 0.9.2 the Elvish Shaman does have only the healer line (the Elvish Sorceress line has been removed and as far as I know will be added together with the High Elves later, in multiplayer games you can still get the Elvish Sorceress as leader).
For more infos on units you might take a look at the Wiki pages ( http://wesnoth.slack.it/units.cgi?page=frames )
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

claus wrote:
RoddyVR wrote:3. slow.
how long does the "slow" effect last?
Units lose slow at the end of their turn.
Note that this means a unit that is slowed while defending against a unit with the Slow ability, can be slowed 1 to n-1 turns (where there are n sides). On the other hand, a unit that is slowed while attacking a unit that has the Slow ability, will only be slowed for that turn. Several people think this is a problem in large multiplayer games, but no-one has yet come up with a nice way to even out the effect of slow-on-attack and slow-on-defend.
This quote is not attributable to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
RoddyVR

Post by RoddyVR »

ott wrote:
RoddyVR wrote:EDIT: oh forgot to add to the curing question. the "other" line in the shaman thing.... sorceress or enchantress or something, dont remember.... does the 3rd level one there heal. i know the second level doesnt (that's why i never took her in my first run through.)
In version 0.9.2 the Elvish Shaman does have only the healer line (the Elvish Sorceress line has been removed and as far as I know will be added together with the High Elves later, in multiplayer games you can still get the Elvish Sorceress as leader).
For more infos on units you might take a look at the Wiki pages ( http://wesnoth.slack.it/units.cgi?page=frames )
what? oh man. wait, so what will happen to my save file that has the shaman turned sorceress in it? should i not update untill i'm done with the campaign or just restart, since i'm still prety early in it (and want to try that "dont protect konrad" tacktic in the first mission)
i only first discovered the game about a week ago (less actualy) so the only version i've ever known is the .9.1 one (i think that's its number).
are these sort of changes very often? should i just stick to the version i have till i'm done with my campaigns or should i try to stay up to date?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Removing units is not done very often. This is only the second time I remember it happening, and I've been around for quite a while. (Although that might be because I have bad memory). More common is stats changes for units, but that won't mess up your beginning of scenario saves, it will just make you unable to watch replays.

I would just restart if you don't mind replaying the first couple of scenarios.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
claus

Post by claus »

RoddyVR wrote:what? oh man. wait, so what will happen to my save file that has the shaman turned sorceress in it? should i not update untill i'm done with the campaign or just restart, since i'm still prety early in it (and want to try that "dont protect konrad" tacktic in the first mission)
i only first discovered the game about a week ago (less actualy) so the only version i've ever known is the .9.1 one (i think that's its number).
are these sort of changes very often? should i just stick to the version i have till i'm done with my campaigns or should i try to stay up to date?
At the moment the Elvish Sorceress does still exist, it is only removed from the Elvish Shaman tree. This means you can still use your old savefiles, but then you have one or more units you should not have, which might make the campaign easier.
The Elvish Sorceress might be removed within some versions, which will then cause problems with your savefiles. Removing a unit has two steps (may be some more i do not know):
first: make sure that the unit is not created in future games (Change Experience trees so that no one can level to the unit which will be removed, ...)
second: some versions later (when savefiles with the unit are old) the unit will be removed (hopefully noone wants to use the old savefiles with the unit).

It also might be that the Elvish Sorceress (and here level ups) stay in the game until the High Elves are added.
In my Opinion, if your are in one of the first scenarios, you should restart the campaign, else try to finish before the Elvish Sorceress is totally removed.

I remember the replacement of the Triton with the Merman fighter and some changes to unit ids and names which are basically unit replacements(the unit with the old id and name is replaced with a unit with the new id and name, but with the same stats).

Edit: The Elvish Sorceress got back to the Elvish Shaman line before the release of 0.9.2. (I did not recognize this, sorry)
Last edited by claus on June 9th, 2005, 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
RoddyVR

Post by RoddyVR »

ok. thanks for the explanation.
i guess i'll restart. i knew i should have made that shaman into a druid. and this just proves it, lol.
this will be the third time in as many days that i'll be restarting the campaign, lol.
RoddyVR

Post by RoddyVR »

ok. not that i dont believe you, but i've found the changelog for 0.9.2 and there's nothing in there about the shaman loosing an upgrade path....
is that stuff done quietly so no one complains or something? or am i not looking at the right page/file.
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

There was no modifications to Elvish Shaman tree. It can still advance to Sorceress.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Dragonking wrote:There was no modifications to Elvish Shaman tree. It can still advance to Sorceress.
Yes, there were. It can again advance to the Sorceress, though.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
RoddyVR

Post by RoddyVR »

lol. so i can keep my save file? dam. i was all ready and rearing to go with the start over. may just do that anyway.
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Dragonking wrote:There was no modifications to Elvish Shaman tree. It can still advance to Sorceress.
Yes, there were. It can again advance to the Sorceress, though.
Of course there were modifications in CVS - first Jetryl removed Sorceress from Shaman line, and later, when I was sure that high elves won't be included in game before 1.0.0, I've put Sorceress back to Shaman line. But IMO we don't have to write whole history of changes here - everybody can check it online, so I believe answer which should be enought for most BfW users is: There were no modifications to Shaman line if you compare 0.9.1 and 0.9.2.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
claus

Post by claus »

Dragonking wrote:Of course there were modifications in CVS - first Jetryl removed Sorceress from Shaman line, and later, when I was sure that high elves won't be included in game before 1.0.0, I've put Sorceress back to Shaman line. But IMO we don't have to write whole history of changes here - everybody can check it online, so I believe answer which should be enought for most BfW users is: There were no modifications to Shaman line if you compare 0.9.1 and 0.9.2.
I did not know this. (I only saw that the Sorceress was removed in a changelog between 0.9.1 and 0.9.2, not that the changelog entry was deleted before 0.9.2)