What's a good counter for the orcish slayer?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Xanous

What's a good counter for the orcish slayer?

Post by Xanous »

Orcish Slayers are nasty. 60% defense on grasslands, 70% defense most everywhere else. Strong melee attack, poisoned range attack.

Attack with melee units and you only hit 30% of the time and get pounded on the retaliation.
Attack with ranged units and you only hit 30% of the time and get poisoned.
Attack with mages and you can do some damage but with low HP your valuable mages are dead the next round.

I usually can kill these guys if I have superior forces but it's a messy business and I end up with half a dozen nearly dead units after.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

It's primarially because the Orcish Slayer is somewhat overpowered. Also, I'd advise Swordsmen/Elvish Heroes, just because they have high HP and blade damage.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Yeah, strong blade units, or ranged units backed up by a healing unit. But like you, I mostly just use supperror forces.
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

A few horsemen usually hit enough to kill... but they'll need to be protected after that..
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

I try to knock out the assassins with horsemen before they get a chance to even level into slayers.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

Horsemen? they are really weak against pierce? Why would you use horsemen?
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
hiryuu

Post by hiryuu »

They may not have a great chance to hit but, if they do, it's a one, maybe two, hit kill. Personally, I go for a couple mages, but I tend to bring a lot of healing/curing units.
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

I try to trap them in swamp or shallow water and kill them with tanks.
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

hiryuu wrote:They may not have a great chance to hit but, if they do, it's a one, maybe two, hit kill.
Indeed. During day one hit usually kills an assassin... and one or two horsemen usually hit enough.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

I also find assassins to be nasty against drakes, but once 0.9.2 comes out with the glider having marksman, they shouldn't be that bad.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
bonehead

Post by bonehead »

If you can avoid them at night, and pull them out of the hills they're no so bad. Horsemen or other high-damage foot (swordsmen, dwarvish fighters, trolls, etc...) can hurt them badly, just use more than one and rotate units as much as possible.

Orc assassins are like human thieves, high damage, relatively low defense specalist attack units. Hit them hard with your generalist heavy infantry, concentrate on them when the apear to the exclusion of the other orcs and trolls, and you'll do ok.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I use horsemen,palladin,lancer,knigt and Gran knight,because you need only a strike to kill him,
or i use iron mawlers and great mages(it can be healed because i have always a curer
Great Mage Nicolas
unsung

Post by unsung »

Assasin wrote:Horsemen? they are really weak against pierce? Why would you use horsemen?
because they do VERY high damage to most units no matter what level they might be and can take down many opponents in just a few hits and you would use them so they could level up into a knight. plus the slayers meele is blade which is very ineffective against any mounted units.
a good counter for the elves is horsemen, human counter would be heavy infantry
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

unsung wrote:
Assasin wrote:Horsemen? they are really weak against pierce? Why would you use horsemen?
because they do VERY high damage to most units no matter what level they might be and can take down many opponents in just a few hits and you would use them so they could level up into a knight. plus the slayers meele is blade which is very ineffective against any mounted units.
a good counter for the elves is horsemen, human counter would be heavy infantry
Hmm... hosremen are humans...
unsung

Post by unsung »

yes but in konrads campaigh the elves have horse men.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?