Good game music you like

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

furyhawk

Good game music you like

Post by furyhawk »

Music from

- Hero of The Might and Magic III and other series are some of the best and matching music. Could get inspiration from the music

Master of Monster is great for an old game @@

Master of Magic ain't bad too. midi

There's an old Japanese SEGA Strategy game... with monster and races too.... I try to get the screenshot if I can... really the best music theme for every fraction.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Fish Fillets :twisted:
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Yes, i know the Heroes series quite a lot. But the goal here is not to copy, it is to invent and try to find originality! At least, lets think where doing that... :wink:
Lindir The Green

Post by Lindir The Green »

"The men of Wu and the men of Yueh are enemies; yet if they are crossing a river in the same boat and are caught by a storm, they will come to each other's assistance. Hence it is not enough to put one's trust in the tethering of horses� -Sun Tzu
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

i vote for wesnoth :D
Elvish_Pillager

Lindir The Green wrote:The best game music is definitely Total Annihilation.
Well, I've listened to a bunch of that music, but Fish Fillets' is still the best, in my opinion. "The march unto Death" is pretty good though, but it still isn't very ominous despite the title. Odyssey: the Legend of Nemesis has pretty good music too.

I blame my own inability to make such great music on my lack of high-quality instrumentation. >_<
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Roel

Post by Roel »

Elvish Pillager wrote: I blame my own inability to make such great music on my lack of high-quality instrumentation. >_<
second that
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Some of the best music in video game history was composed by a guy who calls himself "BunBun." He worked for Capcom when the original Mega Man series was being produced for the 8-bit Nintendo. The structures and progressions are just incredible (Do you know what I mean? The sort of composition where the instruments/production style are near irrelevant, because of the distinctiveness of the melody?). Around the same time period, another composer, known in credits as "Mrs. Tarumi" :) wrote some incredible songs for the original "Strider" game.

Also, does anyone remember the old "Gauntlet" game (the first one)? The theme song is a favorite of mine. The structure isn't too uncommon; the relative equivalent of Am, Dm, G, E7, Am, Dm, G, Am, etc., but the melody touches on the 9ths of the first two chords in a really cool, medievalish sort of way. Top tier song. 8)

I can't remember offhand who composed the original Double Dragon theme, but that's another really solid, really distinct song.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
I blame my own inability to make such great music on my lack of high-quality instrumentation. >_<
You walk the wrong path, my son. 8)
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
without your noses.
Elvish_Pillager

Doc Paterson wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote:
You walk the wrong path, my son. 8)
Yeah, the wrong path --- the path that involves me not paying tons of money for a *good* music program. :x

I find that even great melodies sound bad when played on junky instruments.
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Doc Paterson wrote: You walk the wrong path, my son. 8)
Yeah, the wrong path --- the path that involves me not paying tons of money for a *good* music program. :x

Well, usually people that pay "tons of money" for a program is because they need it for the job they do.
And i also think a greatly done melody sounds always good, even with bad instrumentation. And bad melodies sounds like crap even with the best instrumentation! ;)
Elvish_Pillager

Aleksi wrote:And i also think a greatly done melody sounds always good, even with bad instrumentation.
Well, I can play stuff that sounds great on my piano, and then if I enter it into Melody Assistant and use the piano instrument, it sounds terrible. :x
Aleksi wrote:And bad melodies sounds like crap even with the best instrumentation! ;)
Well I can agree with that! :lol:
olof

Post by olof »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Aleksi wrote:And i also think a greatly done melody sounds always good, even with bad instrumentation.
Well, I can play stuff that sounds great on my piano, and then if I enter it into Melody Assistant and use the piano instrument, it sounds terrible. :x
well, maybe it was not a good melody :wink: , but a good piano, or a good piano player 8)
Elvish_Pillager

Also, I have identified a number of instruments which I call "decent" in Melody Assistant. All the others are junk and hardly ever sound any good no matter what I play on them.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Hmm. Does your mind somehow stop at that surface level and neglect the tonal movements completely? Or are you just saying that a "junky" instrument is too distracting, and makes it too difficult for you to really think about the structure itself?

About this piano music; I'd like to hear it if possible.
without your noses.