New Menu Music

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Aleksi
Music Contributor

New Menu Music

Post by Aleksi »

Dear Wesnothians,

I have read in several threads that people do want a different main menu music. So i've taken a bit of time to work on one. I have my exams starting this week until the end of the month. I should have a big part of my summer to work for Wesnoth. its been quite a while. And i like to finish what i started. So please take some time to listen and i'll be here to read your comments and suggestions!

http://aleksi.free.fr/Wesnoth/

The file size is big but i haven't finished yet at all. The music fits well with the story that is told when the player starts a campaign. Oh, and the file is loopable.

Enjoy,

Aleksi.
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

I quite like this one. Very epic! I do think some of the clarinets in the quiet section should have longer releases if that would be possible?
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
XJaPaN

Post by XJaPaN »

Awesome! :) We could replace the actual theme and use the old one as "lose" theme...
scott

Post by scott »

Or ending credits. It's also a good resource for campaign writers who want that mood.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Woodwizzle wrote:I quite like this one. Very epic! I do think some of the clarinets in the quiet section should have longer releases if that would be possible?
Yes it will be changed. I'm aware of that. The only thing is that i first do the basic composition with basic sounds and then i work on every section separatly. This system needs lots of CPU and RAM, and i'm unfortunally limited to only 2 gigs, so wich means i cannot load all the sounds i want in the same time. As soon as i see that most people like it and that everyone is willing to have the music in the game i'll wrap it up with the best sounds i can. :wink:

Aleksi.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

I think it already sounds really great. It would be good to have more good music in 1.0. I am really looking forward to your final version of the song.
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

ivanovic wrote:I think it already sounds really great. It would be good to have more good music in 1.0. I am really looking forward to your final version of the song.
Here is an update. This one is not made to be looped over and over. I think it should only be used for the main menu. I can always make variations of it later for campaigns. So this is the final version, but i will still change a few things on a technical point of view.

http://aleksi.free.fr/Wesnoth/

Aleksi.
grzywacz
Inactive Developer

Post by grzywacz »

Owww, I like it very much, but it sounds slightly too epic for the current background (which means, that new menu background is needed :wink: ). Give it the final touch and make sure to have it included in the game. 8)
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

Why did you get rid of the looping? I think it is important that the main menu theme loops.
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Woodwizzle wrote:Why did you get rid of the looping? I think it is important that the main menu theme loops.
Well, you can always loop this one. Its only that i like the way it starts with the percussion roll and the way it fades out. I can always change that is most people want it perfectly loopable.
Roel

Post by Roel »

i don't care if it loops or not, I'm usually out of the main menu after a few seconds anyway...
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Roel wrote:i don't care if it loops or not, I'm usually out of the main menu after a few seconds anyway...
That's why i didn't give privilege to loop.
scott

Post by scott »

I don't think it needs to loop. Just a few seconds of silence then it starts again from the beginning would be just perfect.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

You could make it loop perfectly, and also make a seperate "intro" clip that leads into the first loop. It would require a little coding too though. Just a though, its one lil' feature of an advanced music system I'd like to see one day.
Roel

Post by Roel »

Woodwizzle wrote:You could make it loop perfectly, and also make a seperate "intro" clip that leads into the first loop. It would require a little coding too though. Just a though, its one lil' feature of an advanced music system I'd like to see one day.
I suggested that a while ago but nobody seemed to care back then