Aragwaith Unit Images 2.0

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
allefant
Units Database Administrator

Post by allefant »

Yes, I find they look excellent on the sheets before. Didn't know about the color saturation - but makes perfect sense now. Isn't there already a dynamic color shift in the game, with the different times of day? Could then just add some sand-color to all 6 times for mostly-desert maps, and it should look good.
Actually, I disagree with all of this - I think these are things that make the units look good. His sword doesn't look broken, it looks like something is reflecting off the center of it.
Yes, I believe that's true.. actually, I only noticed this about the sword when zooming in to find out what causes the above problem.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Jetryl wrote: However, changing the sprites is NOT the way to fix this - the proper way to solve this problem would be to provide a means by which a unit designer can apply a color shift to units depending on the terrain they are in - making these guys more yellow over sand.
Well a cheap fix might be to make their alpha 95%, although that might look a little wierd. Personally I think the units look fine as is.
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Darth Fool wrote:
Jetryl wrote: However, changing the sprites is NOT the way to fix this - the proper way to solve this problem would be to provide a means by which a unit designer can apply a color shift to units depending on the terrain they are in - making these guys more yellow over sand.
Well a cheap fix might be to make their alpha 95%, although that might look a little wierd. Personally I think the units look fine as is.
That would make them green on grassland... :D
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

You know... there could be an option in MP to hire mercinaries, (if turned on by the host). They would cost a lot more, for example:50gp for hiring, 3gp per turn. On level 2 6gp/t, lev3 9gp/t.
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

martenzo wrote:You know... there could be an option in MP to hire mercinaries, (if turned on by the host). They would cost a lot more, for example:50gp for hiring, 3gp per turn. On level 2 6gp/t, lev3 9gp/t.
If it was like that, no one would want them, so what would be the point of having them?

IMHO, they'd be best as just campaign enemies. They wouldn't make too much sense in MP.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
kangounator

Post by kangounator »

You know... there could be an option in MP to hire mercinaries, (if turned on by the host). They would cost a lot more, for example:50gp for hiring, 3gp per turn. On level 2 6gp/t, lev3 9gp/t.
i like this idea but there're too expensive (or very strong)
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

This thread should be split from Martenzo's post into Ideas.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Ironic I´ve made desert warriors who don´t fit into the desert in the worst case I´ll recolor some of them.
Some work is done again. Bow frames are posssibly with only 3 directions and they still look good.
Attachments
hunter example.png
hunter example.png (37.32 KiB) Viewed 3994 times
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Half of the work is done
Attachments
hunter example.png
hunter example.png (54.31 KiB) Viewed 3897 times
example Keeper.png
example Keeper.png (27.84 KiB) Viewed 3898 times
Herkum

Post by Herkum »

I like the potential of the units, but when I look at them they seemed to be a blurred shaped than of a specific unit. It makes it hard to see and identify. You need to reduce the amount of highlighting on the folds and make it appear more tangible.

Shadow, I do like your work, you have done some good stuff. I hate to push because I don't have a lick of artistic but believe with these two units, you can do better.
MRhe

Post by MRhe »

Shadow:

Excellent work. I think you've done some great stuff earlier, but this entire group looks tremendous! And they appear to be [nearly?] fully animated! It's like a faction ready-to-go.

I think they look fantastic; the animations look great; I personally cannot wait 'til I can smite people with these things.

It's amazing to see the quality of production from people with no interest other than personal enjoyment (and perhaps seeing/knowing that others enjoy their work).

Oh, and listen to Jetryl's critiques, but take others' with [several] grains of NaCl.

Awesome.

Cheers
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

The units really look great, but I think they are a little too grey. Why?
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Tux2B wrote:The units really look great, but I think they are a little too grey. Why?
Wouldn't that be a question for you to answer yourself?
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Thanks for the comments
Grey is always good I like dark colors
Herkum wrote: ....
Shadow, I do like your work, you have done some good stuff. I hate to push because I don't have a lick of artistic but believe with these two units, you can do better.
I like the one with the banner and the chainmail is hard to animate I´ll slightly change him later but the whole archer line got some changes.

The animations are almost half finished only the the last spearman the archers the riders and the mages must be animated (not very much :wink: )
Attachments
example Archer.png
example Archer.png (17.73 KiB) Viewed 3760 times
Attila

Post by Attila »

I'm working on the mages, should be done by the end of the weekend