Is anyone willing to do some campaign art? Please?

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
RequiemOfReason

Is anyone willing to do some campaign art? Please?

Post by RequiemOfReason »

I'm making a campaign that's based on the book by Night Mare Piers Anthony- but I suck at pixel art. I'd really apprecate it if someone would help me out. I need a few pieces of unit art:

A black mare
A black mare with flaming mane
A white stallion
Centaur Archer
Centaur Sharpeye
Roc (really big bird)
A tangle tree (carniverous tree with tentacles)
Nickelpede (five times as bad as a centipede)
Quarterpede (twenty-five times as bad as a centipede)
The Gap dragon (A six legged green dragon, with vestigial wings)

So, I'd be really happy if someone could please help me out.
Reality is an escape for people who can't face dreams...
And no, that's not by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Attila

Post by Attila »

I've got some work I'm doing now, but if I get to it I'll do some of that.

You should try making mock-ups of what you want the images to look like, and put them in.
scott

Post by scott »

I'm pretty familiar with Piers Anthony. I used to read all his books many years ago. Too bad I can't draw. :wink:
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
RequiemOfReason

Thanks. I'll try that.
Raelifin

Post by Raelifin »

Shouldn't the nicklepedes be in swarms?
And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!
-Lewis Carroll "Jabberwocky"
RequiemOfReason

I suppose so... that could work. But the quarterpedes are independant, I'm using them for the scene where Bink makes his last stand against Hasbinbad. Imagine this... you see one man standing alone in the clearing. You and your dozens of henchmen rush towards him- then he opens a box and out rush several centipedes bigger than you are. You'd run, wouldn't you? In that scene, Bink is hopelessly outnumbered, so you have to use your bag of tricks effectively.
Fish river is going to be especially fun to do. And the Gap dragon...
RequiemOfReason

I have a portrait for Imbri that’s a direct scan off of the cover, but I’m having a hard time getting portraits of:
Hasbinbad- A Punic General. He’s the bad guy, but he’s respectable. Give him a scar if you want.
Trent- King of Xanth. Regal. He’s old, but is still very sharp. Ushered in Xanth’s golden age.
Dor- Trent’s heir. About 24, but looks younger than he is. The crown is too big for his head.
Johnathan- Known as the Zombie Master, he’s actually a pretty nice guy. Hates politics.
Humfrey- Short, gnome-like, and about 150 years old. He’s dedicated to gathering knowledege, and is willing to share it with others, for a price. Wears glasses.
Bink- Dor’s father. An adventurer, a swordsman, and a scholar. Always end up getting saved by a coincidence :). Show him in his mid-forties.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

You shouldn't use a portrait scanned from the book and try to get your story far enough from the original to stay away from copyright problems! I don't think you've asked for and received permission to use the story, did you?
scott

Post by scott »

It seems like this falls in the same boat as making a Lord of the Rings campaign. Unofficial mods are small enough to go unnoticed. You might try searching this forum for the conclusion about whether or not it would be ok to make an LOTR campaign. You also might try writing Piers Anthony (if he's still alive!).
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
RequiemOfReason

I’m basically just using the scan as a placeholder. I’ll replace it when I get one done by me, or (more likely) specifically for me. Secondly, I have written Piers Anthony, and he usually responds to his letters. I think he has nothing to loose by granting me permission. If the publishers don’t want me making it, I’ll offer them 10% of all profits realized by the sale of the product. :wink:
RequiemOfReason

Okay, I wrote to him on Tuesday. He responded, and I quote:
Piers Anthony wrote: Fortunately for me, unfortunately for you, Warner Pictures is working on a Xanth movie and has sewn up all the rights. So there can be no permission for a game unless Warner apprloves it, which I doubt it will.
I guess that means I have to ask the bureaucrats for permission :irritated:. I might have to offer them a cut of the profits- it's not like I'll miss it... :twisted:
P.S. In fact, GPL Xanth games have been made before, including one specifically requested by Mr. Anthony himself, which I've played on my school's computers. (see http://www.abandonia.com/games/449/Comp ... _Xanth.htm). It was pretty good for a game so old... remember AMoT? Of course, once a movie is getting made, reserved rights go out the window. Boo. Hiss.