Need Criticism: Slave

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Raelifin

Post by Raelifin »

scott wrote:the shadow makes the ball look deformed. You could also try a smaller ball if the guy is going to have a movement >1.
You are right. But what should I do about it? Also, the ball and chain would be incredibly encumbersome and impractical in real life. Its mostly for flavor.
MadMax wrote:When these graphics are completed, I may have a use for them.
Great! :D
And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!
-Lewis Carroll "Jabberwocky"
La Migra

Post by La Migra »

Su individuo mira bastante bueno, a excepción del hecho de que el bombeo en su boca le hace parecer Rayman. ¿Para cuál es usted que planea utilizar este carácter? ¿Él tiene ataque? ¿O él trabajará solamente para más oro? ¿En qué él se desarrollará?
|Correle! |Correle! |La Migra!
Attila

Post by Attila »

personally I like them better thaan the current peasant sprites :wink:
Raelifin

Post by Raelifin »

Su individuo mira bastante bueno, a excepción del hecho de que el bombeo en su boca le hace parecer Rayman. ¿Para cuál es usted que planea utilizar este carácter? ¿Él tiene ataque? ¿O él trabajará solamente para más oro? ¿En qué él se desarrollará?
Um, my spanish it a bit... lacking....

I don't plan on using the unit my self although MadMax has expressed that he might use them. I am going to work on the animations once the base image is finalized. The idea around the unit is to use them to distract your enemy in combat. So yes, they are for attacking. And as for the Rayman sentence... I have no idea what you said.
And burbled as it came!
Industriebrot

Post by Industriebrot »

Excellent,

three things I noticed:

The chain at the ball looks more like a steel rope, there is a nice technique to do scale mails in the high elves thread, use it on the chain to look like a real chain.

The arms look a bit flat, shade them a little bit more. You could make him holding a tool, though this could be weird, because almost all tools could be used as weapons (axes and hammers, flails and bows, all these were tools before mankind discovered that a human could be processed with these tools as well. Mostly to the victims disadvantage :twisted: ) and thats not what the slavekeeper wants.

The ball looks clean and bright, there should be some dirt on it because the slave pulls it the whole day through mud.
Der Stein hat keine Hoffnung, etwas anderes zu sein als Stein. Aber durch Zusammenwirken fügt sich einer zum anderen und wird zum Tempel.
[ ] Goethe
[ ] Shakespeare
[ ] Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Attila wrote:
personally I like them better thaan the current peasant sprites :wink:
I want them as human slaves in the second level of my campaign.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Raelifin

Post by Raelifin »

Ok, I was unable to find the post in the high elf thread on mail but I think I fixed the chain. I made the ball rusted and not so shiny. The arms I think I helped but its not great.

I like the way it looks now so I'm going to do the animations. Next unit I do will be better (hopefuly). Thanks for everyones sugestions. Try to limit critiques from now on to individual frames not the unit itself.
Attachments
Final (or close to it) Version
Final (or close to it) Version
slave4.PNG (1.24 KiB) Viewed 4313 times
And burbled as it came!
scott

Post by scott »

Cool. I still think the ball looks too big and try losing the shadow or making it partly transparent (there's a set % for game units, but I forget what it is). Also, his hand position looks funny, like he's driving an imaginary car, which could be cool if he did actually drive an imaginary car, but I wouldn't want to walk around like that. Maybe move the elbows back?
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Raelifin

Post by Raelifin »

Gah! Attacking is hard to draw! I might take a while for me to get some attack frames I can live with.
And burbled as it came!
Disto

Post by Disto »

The shadow should be at 60% transparency.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Hearold

Post by Hearold »

So, what stats is this guy going to have? Is he going to have upgrades, or is he just a one-level guy?
Walk softly, carry a big stick.

--Theodore Roosevelt
Raelifin

Post by Raelifin »

Hearold wrote:So, what stats is this guy going to have? Is he going to have upgrades, or is he just a one-level guy?
I posted the stats I thought up in the idea forum. (Mind you they aren't very good.)
Disto wrote:The shadow should be at 60% transparency.
Eheheh... :oops: Is there a way to do this in.... paint? (Yes, I could use gimp but... actually, now that I think of it I don't have a reason...)

/e goes to download gimp.
And burbled as it came!
Raelifin

Sad... I know.

Post by Raelifin »

I am a disgrace to myself and my family. Please hold on while I commit seppuku. Here are my HORRIBLE attacking frames. I couldn't get them right and I finally just got tired of starting over and decided to post them.

Once again.... 3... 2... 1... Criticize (You'll have lots to do)
Attachments
slaveAttack1.PNG
slaveAttack1.PNG (1.21 KiB) Viewed 4156 times
slaveAttack2.PNG
slaveAttack2.PNG (1.09 KiB) Viewed 4156 times
And burbled as it came!
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

Actually the top half is quite good... two small criticisms though...

1) the "swish" of the arm is drawn differently than the one of other units (which use transparency IIRC)

2) the feets don't move.

the second one is particularly important. Rmember that when attacking, a unit moves from his hex to the defendent's hex. if the legs don't move, it will look like the unit is sliding into the neighbouring hex... very bad.

a simple leg movement on the second attacking frame should be enough to solve that though
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Attila

Re: Sad... I know.

Post by Attila »

Raelifin wrote:I am a disgrace to myself and my family. Please hold on while I commit seppuku. Here are my HORRIBLE attacking frames. I couldn't get them right and I finally just got tired of starting over and decided to post them.

Once again.... 3... 2... 1... Criticize (You'll have lots to do)
How I do "swish"es (in GIMP) is to draw on as a separate layer a bold swish shape. And thenI blur it and then screw with the tranparency level.