Why Swordsmen/Royal Gaurd advance from Spearmen anyways?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dreadwing

Why Swordsmen/Royal Gaurd advance from Spearmen anyways?

Post by Dreadwing »

They don't have any abititles.Most units right now don't have blade as a weakness I think..and they aren't that great either just bit more resist.So make them stronger or something diff.
Another unit is Orcish Grunt I don't see alot of ppl using these....
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Re: Why Swordsmen/Royal Gaurd advance from Spearmen anyways?

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Dreadwing wrote:Another unit is Orcish Grunt I don't see alot of ppl using these....
Yeah, it's a bit weak. I'd like to see its cost decremented.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

What really hurts is losing the ranged ability. Granted it isn't great for Spearmen, but it was enough that you couldn't take cheap shots at them with an archer. Seems like a real step down.
Tomyellow

Post by Tomyellow »

In person I found swordsmen more useful then pikemen.
I play TROW. The Orcs have good defense on most terrains and 4 attack instead of 3 is more than counterbalance against firststrike and 5-1 (IIRC) ranged attack.
I don't used to save-load, so I hate when pikeman does zero from three against 2HP orc with 70% defense.

Cheers, Tomyellow
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Tomyellow wrote:I play TROW. The Orcs have good defense on most terrains
Only Assassins have that...
Tomyellow wrote:and 4 attack instead of 3 is more than counterbalance against firststrike and 5-1 (IIRC) ranged attack.
The Spearman has a 6-1 ranged attack, but the Pikeman has none.
Tomyellow wrote:I don't used to save-load, so I hate when pikeman does zero from three against 2HP orc with 70% defense.
There's also the fact that Assassins are weaker to Swordsmen's attacks. Don't base your comparisons between to units on combats with enemies which are stronger against one than the other for other reasons.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Re: Why Swordsmen/Royal Gaurd advance from Spearmen anyways?

Post by Doc Paterson »

Dreadwing wrote:Another unit is Orcish Grunt I don't see alot of ppl using these....
Look with your inner eye, my child.

Rule of thumb: If English is your first language, you probably don't know how to use the Grunt properly.

:twisted:

bwaha!

(~ Kidding of course ~)

:twisted:
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Tomyellow

Post by Tomyellow »

Elvish Pillager wrote: There's also the fact that Assassins are weaker to Swordsmen's attacks. Don't base your comparisons between to units on combats with enemies which are stronger against one than the other for other reasons.
I was in hot situation. I must break through the orc defend line quickly and of course get as little casualties as can. I advanced 2 pikemen and 4 or 5 swordmen. I could do it. All swordsman remained in live, one advanced to royal guard. One of pikemen found himself in /dev/null, the other live, but gained few xp. So I advanced to swordmen and I succeed. I will do it again. Except perhaps the case when I have to face to undead without mages and knights, 'cause pierce attack of pikemen is powerful in this case.
Firstsrike is powerful against weak units what attack with melee. A grunt wouldn't be affraid from the possibility to got 7 damage before strike.

Cheers,
Tomyellow