Eastern Invasion

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

iRichard

Post by iRichard »

I don't understand.

I hold the 16 turns. And I lost.
I look at The_Outpost.cfg. I erase the misleading "id". I understand the trap trick.

Well, I'm frustrated, I tried 3 times before achieving holding the undead.
Please be fair with orcish-minded players.

I hope I can win next time. I'll try to trap.

Suggestion : if possible make a "trap item" appear after dialog.
(item-leanto.png will do the thing)
iRichard

Post by iRichard »

OK,

I did the 1st one again. I undestood an fleed !
Nice scenario (but fair win should also be possible)

2nd scenario :
I play easy and I don't understand how this scenario can be determinist (deterministic ??).

First time :
Innocent playing, blocus of east tunnel, seeing undead (and thinking their are allies) blocus of the west tunnel.
Hero goes south, ok, take chest (great surprise), try to leave, killed by a mini-troll (very very easily, you should brick-up the lieutenant)

Second time :
Don't play fair, only cavalry, run through south tunnel.
Hero can move 3hex, horses 2hex. When hero "see the light", cavalry is only in the main south tunnel. I can't wait for them since tunnel is mainly 1 hex wide and 1st level unit in tunnel is suicidary vs troll.

So I won but using spoiler (let say experience) and rabbit-like attitude.
Perhaps put some dirt instead of some rocks... one or two dwarf ally...

But campaign sound very interesting.
Speaking about campaign, the guy who tell hero about the trap should auto-follow (if alive) you in the next scenar. I think it doesn't make sense if he enter the trap, and don't show his loyal sword to help his master in the troll-world.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

iRichard wrote:OK,

I did the 1st one again. I undestood an fleed !
Nice scenario (but fair win should also be possible)

2nd scenario :
I play easy and I don't understand how this scenario can be determinist (deterministic ??).

First time :
Innocent playing, blocus of east tunnel, seeing undead (and thinking their are allies) blocus of the west tunnel.
Hero goes south, ok, take chest (great surprise), try to leave, killed by a mini-troll (very very easily, you should brick-up the lieutenant)

Second time :
Don't play fair, only cavalry, run through south tunnel.
Hero can move 3hex, horses 2hex. When hero "see the light", cavalry is only in the main south tunnel. I can't wait for them since tunnel is mainly 1 hex wide and 1st level unit in tunnel is suicidary vs troll.

So I won but using spoiler (let say experience) and rabbit-like attitude.
Perhaps put some dirt instead of some rocks... one or two dwarf ally...

But campaign sound very interesting.
Speaking about campaign, the guy who tell hero about the trap should auto-follow (if alive) you in the next scenar. I think it doesn't make sense if he enter the trap, and don't show his loyal sword to help his master in the troll-world.
He is not a lieutenant (if this is what you are asking) because i want you to start first level.

I might make the swordguy follow you, it would be easy to do, but you can recall him, in any case.

a hint-
Cavalry are a bad idea- only 2 more hp than spearman, and cost more. spearmen are just as good in cave, somewhat better, as they have a ranged attack.

For the first scenario, i think it would help if i put a leanto on. That was the first scenario i
made, and so i didn't really get WML. now i will probably go in and add it.

What do you mean by 'fair win' being possible? it is true you can always win by killing all enemies, but other than that what would fair win mean?

BTW, i have completed the third scenario, it is (almost) ready to be posted.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
iRichard

Post by iRichard »

Code: Select all

Victory:
@Resist for as long as possible
Defeat:
#Death of Gweddry"
I resisted "as long as possible" (16/16) and I lost...
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

that is because i do not know if you can change objectives in the middle of the game, but you are supposed to go into the tunnel. This is because i do not want you to run away, i want you to stand and fight, so i made it so you have to stay near the castle. If you can find a way to improve this, please do.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
kittel

Post by kittel »

turin wrote:that is because i do not know if you can change objectives in the middle of the game, but you are supposed to go into the tunnel. This is because i do not want you to run away, i want you to stand and fight, so i made it so you have to stay near the castle. If you can find a way to improve this, please do.
Why dont you make the guy who finds the trap door later, appear briefly in the beginning and say something along the lines of "I once heard that there should be an escape tunnel out from here. Hold them off for as long as possible, and pray the gods that I find it in time". (ok, you can probably make it sound better than that).

Looking forward to the third scenario! :)
benj

Post by benj »

Perhaps you will find the Makefile I did useful to automate installation of any stuff needed for the campaign : http://wesnoth.slack.it/?SonOfTheBlackEye
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

turin wrote:that is because i do not know if you can change objectives in the middle of the game, but you are supposed to go into the tunnel. This is because i do not want you to run away, i want you to stand and fight, so i made it so you have to stay near the castle. If you can find a way to improve this, please do.
You can't currently change objectives in the middle of the scenario. We may provide a way to do this in future.
turin wrote: Perhaps you will find the Makefile I did useful to automate installation of any stuff needed for the campaign : http://wesnoth.slack.it/?SonOfTheBlackEye
Or at least make it so that you can just put the .tar.gz file in your Wesnoth directory and untar, and everything will go in the right place. I have attacked an easy-to-install .tar.gz file which can be installed in this way.

To create it I simply used this command:

Code: Select all

tar -c data/scenarios/Escape_Tunnel.cfg data/scenarios/The_Outpost.cfg images/human-sergeant.png data/maps/loyalistmap1 data/maps/loyalistmap2 data/deaths2.cfg data/units/Sergeant.cfg > loyalist.tar
David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
KK_r

Post by KK_r »

I reached the end of the tunnel but nothing happend, a bug or another twist in the campaign?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

another bug that i though i fixed. maybe you were playing the wrong version-i made a new one.

and i have the third scenario for playtesting. I'll post it later today.
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

benj wrote:Perhaps you will find the Makefile I did useful to automate installation of any stuff needed for the campaign : http://wesnoth.slack.it/?SonOfTheBlackEye
Yes...sorry, but i don't really understand it. i don't really 'get' makefiles in general. So unless someone else explains it to me or does it themselves then it will stay how it is. :(

I have the third scenario, and you should be able to win escape tunnel now.
The World of Orbivm
KK_r

Post by KK_r »

it works now, but I get a lot rows consisting of ~+ in the terminal when loading the third level
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

KK_r wrote:it works now, but I get a lot rows consisting of ~+ in the terminal when loading the third level
This is my fault, and nothing to do with the campaign.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
KK_r

Post by KK_r »

@turin: maybe you should make a tar.gz as Dave made one, your doesn't put the files in the right folders.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

In general makefiles are designed to automatically put files in the correct folders. The syntax is generally the filename and what folder it should go into. You can see this if you looked at dave's file and open the makefile with a text editor. I've never made one myself, so I can't help much, but learning how to do them would make it a lot easier for the average person trying to install files.

At the very least if you just wrote up a text file with the name of each file you are trying to install and the directory where each file should go, then I bet someone else could check the syntax and make the changes necessary to turn it into a makefile. They aren't that complex.