Is Wesnoth eventually going to be 3D?

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Assasin

Is Wesnoth eventually going to be 3D?

Post by Assasin »

This may have been asked somewhere, but I'm too lazy to look for it :) Is it ever going to happen? Are you planing on it?
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
AT

Post by AT »

No, unless someone comes along and has the skills/time/interest to do it. Such is the nature of Open Source.
Gandalf-"I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun. Go back to the Shadow. You cannot pass!"
AT- "That sounds like more trouble than it's worth."
Attila

Post by Attila »

its a big time comitment. doing so would mean an entire redoing of all the graphics. I have the skills to do so, but I lack not only the time, but also the interest. Doin 3d graphics, at least for me, ('m terribly slow at 3d max) takes forever, and doing all the units and terrains... hell
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

The more I think about it, the more I realize the amount of work it would take. What if the units actually move their legs, flap their wings, and such?

Disto

Post by Disto »

The moving their legs and flapping their wings is a lot more possible then going 3d.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Among other objections, I think that Wesnoth in 3D would look substantially worse than Wesnoth in 2D. It'd also probably be less usable, as it'd be harder to see how the board is laid out in 3D. It'd also be difficult to program. And it'd require a fast graphics card.

The only real advantages would be that the view could be rotated, and units looked at from any angle, as well as shadows looking a little nicer (if you have a fast graphics card).

To me, the pros/cons of 2D vs 3D for Wesnoth is hugely in favor of 2D.

Even many commercial turn-based games use 2D graphics. E.g. Civilization III.

Not that 3D graphics can't suit a TBS game. See Gladius for an example: it looks and plays great, though the graphical talent required to make a game looking like that is obviously immense.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Attila

Post by Attila »

I personally hate the 3d strategy games. It makes it feel much more rpg. I'm thinking of particurally "Warrior kings" (I think that was what the name was). The problem is that you don't see enough of the battle feild because you are too close too the units.

But if Wesnoth was the same scale as it is now (each unit takes up about and square inch or so) the terrain would have to be huge, making battles bigger, and without the feel of small skirmishes.

Personally, I really like the small cartoon-like graphics that we have now.
emdot

Post by emdot »

Panzer General 3 looks very good in 3D
Mkgego

Post by Mkgego »

Wesnoth is allready the best strategy turn based game i have ever played and i must admit that playing wesnoth in 3D... well its something unimaginable for me and something i wouldnt like to see it realised...
Last edited by Mkgego on April 4th, 2005, 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WoW C-Mode activated...
For the horde :D
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Re: ...

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Attila wrote:I personally hate the 3d strategy games. It makes it feel much more rpg. I'm thinking of particurally "Warrior kings" (I think that was what the name was). The problem is that you don't see enough of the battle feild because you are too close too the units.
If it is indeed Warrior Kings, which is the name of a game whose demo I have played, then here's some info for you: There's some commands (I forget what, since the game has no manual and no instructions :roll:) that let your view move up and down and rotate. These are helpful if you want to get a better view.

Warrior Kings was a nice game, but between the lack of a manual, the lack of an editor, and the general impracticalities of the engine, it just wasn't worth it.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Disto

Re: ...

Post by Disto »

Attila wrote:I personally hate the 3d strategy games. It makes it feel much more rpg. I'm thinking of particurally "Warrior kings" (I think that was what the name was). The problem is that you don't see enough of the battle feild because you are too close too the units.

But if Wesnoth was the same scale as it is now (each unit takes up about and square inch or so) the terrain would have to be huge, making battles bigger, and without the feel of small skirmishes.

Personally, I really like the small cartoon-like graphics that we have now.
The only 3d strategy games which i like are the Total War series.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

Another good 3D strategy game is Civilizations. The game engine wouldn't be much different from that, and the system requirements are low.

Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Assasin wrote:Another good 3D strategy game is Civilizations
If you're talking about any version of Sid Meier's Civilization (1, 2, or 3), then it's not 3D. Ditto with Civilization: Call to Power. FreeCiv is not 3D either.

I'm not aware of any game called 'Civilizations' though, and I doubt there could be one, since it's name would be confusingly similiar to Sid Meier's Civilization.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

I thank that the poor guy is confused...

I like 3D warcraft.
Sorry for the meaningless post
Na'enthos

Post by Na'enthos »

Er.. short answer? No.

Long answer? No, never! No! Don't even think about it!

Not that I have a say in this.. :wink:
He who would travel happily must travel light.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupery