Too slow!

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Casual User

Too slow!

Post by Casual User »

This isn't a bug or a problem per se, but it's quite unpleasent: Wesnoth runs very slowly on my computer. More precisely, the AI's turn is very slow. A scenario can take a very long time: for example I a re-doing Heir to the throne at medium difficulty, and it took me an hour to finish bay of pearls, doing it only once and with no effective offence (I killed the sea orc with the mermen, then I hust waited for the other one on the island. In other words, I gave as few orders as possible and it took an hour to finish. My computer isn't a marvel, but it's a fairly new 1998 (at least that's when I bought it) PC with plenty of memory. I tried shutting off all the options which said it might make the game slower. Any suggestions?

Thanks and sorry about the long post...
Breeblebox

Post by Breeblebox »

What exactly are the specifications of your computer?

Also, did you try playing with accelerated speed? (Menu->Preferences->Accelerated Speed)
Bear, as in Fozzy,Bare, as in Arms,Beer, as in Free.
Distro | Browser
Pythagoras

Post by Pythagoras »

Personally I have a 550mhz PIII with 256 MB of RAM purchased in 1999 and Wesnoth works great for me. At times the AI can take a few seconds to figure out what its doing, but otherwise no problems. I could beleive going much lower than my PC might cause problems, however.
scott

Post by scott »

What's the lowest that has been tried? Anyone below 550 MHz? I have a 333 P2 that I can try. It mostly takes up space now.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

A second hand report - it runs on a 200/233MHz StrongArm, which is roughly equivalent to a 350MHz PC, but very soon crashes due to memory limitations on that system. I would infer from that that about a 200MHz PC would be about the limit. Memory may be more important - probably 128Mb is the minimum safe memory requirement.